Is Saha good enough as a keeper to be in XI despite very poor batting?

Just now, rahulrulezz said:

That's my problem. Appreciating Saha doesn't mean we insult Parthiv. Just because Parthiv dropped some catches in 2000s, he will keep dropping them now. Tell me one catch he dropped after his comeback. Thank god, your offices and HR didn't hire you based on that failed tests when in highschool. 

Regardless, Saha did drop a simple catch in the first test and gave so many byes in the second test. I am not saying Parthiv would have caught those catches and saved those byes, but I don't agree with everyone insulting Parthiv. 

He missed a stumping and dropped catches in the england series. Did you see saha catch in the first test? No other Indian wicketkeeper ever would have caught that or heck even tried to catch that.

3 minutes ago, rahulrulezz said:

That's my problem. Appreciating Saha doesn't mean we insult Parthiv. Just because Parthiv dropped some catches in 2000s, he will keep dropping them now. Tell me one catch he dropped after his comeback. Thank god, your offices and HR didn't hire you based on that failed tests when in highschool. 

Regardless, Saha did drop a simple catch in the first test and gave so many byes in the second test. I am not saying Parthiv would have caught those catches and saved those byes, but I don't agree with everyone insulting Parthiv. 

Last test Parthiv played, IIRC, he dropped 2 catches. byes a bit misleading because its a case-by-case situation. Did the batsman leave the ball, wicketkeeper failed to gather/graze his fingertips and go for byes ? if yes, then its wicketkeeper's fault. But if the bowler pitches full, its a shooter and scoots through at ankle-height, nobody can stop it. 

4 minutes ago, rahulrulezz said:

Parthiv missed more than 10 chances in tests he played against england.Parthiv as a batsman is fine but he cant keep.

Parthiv's keeping was awful in the England series mate.

Remember the missed Bairstow missed catch for one.He missed few more as well.

I am not a big fan of Saha' s batting but he played a fighting knock today.But if we looking for a replacement to Saha ,should look to the youngster liek Pant or Kishan instead of a has been like Parthiv.

Just now, BeautifulGame said:

Parthiv's keeping was awful in the England series mate.

Remember the missed Bairstow missed catch for one.He missed few more as well.

I am not a big fan of Saha' s batting but he played a fighting knock today.But if we looking for a replacement to Saha ,should look to the youngster liek Pant or Kishan instead of a has been like Parthiv.

Pant and Kishan are too young for test cricket.

They need another 2-3 years to strengthen their bodies otherwise, they will get injured playing the long format. Keeping is not easy on the body and without a lot of strength training over the years, its a one-way ticket to screwing up your back at an early age.

7 minutes ago, laaloo said:

He missed a stumping and dropped catches in the england series. Did you see saha catch in the first test? No other Indian wicketkeeper ever would have caught that or heck even tried to catch that.

That catch was breath taking 

no Indian keepe has took a better catch in my memory 

in fact most would not even had audacity to dive lol

couod watch replay of that catch over and over again . Genius in its own way 

Pant and Kishan are too young for test cricket.

They need another 2-3 years to strengthen their bodies otherwise, they will get injured playing the long format. Keeping is not easy on the body and without a lot of strength training over the years, its a one-way ticket to screwing up your back at an early age.

Kishan has kept wickets for 3 seasons .So should be ready for the work load even if Pant isn't.

Just now, BeautifulGame said:

Kishan has kept wickets for 3 seasons .So should be ready for the work load even if Pant isn't.

3 whole Ranji seasons ? 
I still don't think a teenager's body is ready for long term sitting on haunches and standing up 400 times a day, for a whole day, year in-year out.

Typically teenagers do not have a very well developed core.

8 minutes ago, vijay50 said:

Sahas keeping is good, but with respect to his batting, tail starts from Saha.

I would anyday take a tailender who can play likes of starc hazelwood and save indias in pressure situation be it abroad or at home unlike previous wkbatsman.

Edited by CG
1 hour ago, maniac said:

Oh bhai maaf kar de.

Anyways context

Always said the following

1.Pant needs to be groomed as a long term option-obvious duh

2.Pant is not ready to start playing test cricket at this stage in must win games/series against tough teams at this point-Common sense 

3.Need to get Pant/Kishen or whoever for long term take over with a 2 year turnaround-debatable but this is what I said.

4.At this point Saha is the best option-said it on this very thread.

5.Saha is the best pure keeper in India.

6.Saha is not the worst batsmen out there but yes he is not as good as MSD at home-Obvious duh

7.Myth busted that MSD is leagues ahead of Saha overseas-stats check

8.clicking vote button on that thread where I thought what the future plan should be as who should be our keeper-Yes for that I have already asked for your forgiveness-but see point 1 and 3.

Now is it ok for me to drop the mic sir?

This is a revisionist hypocrite post filled with lies.  You voted for Rishabh Pant over Saha for tests as of November 2016 - in a poll that explicitly asked to leave out batting ability.  You argued that India don't need Saha and would be better off switching to Pant as early as the England series.  

And now you want to "drop the mic"?    If you keep posting this two-faced BS, you are going to get called out on it.  

50 minutes ago, rahulrulezz said:

Dude, I like Parthiv, but he was quite bad in the couple of England tests he played.  Forget actual chances - he wasn't even gathering cleanly a good 20% + of the time, keeping against spin.  And that's not an insult - its just reality.  I know some posters get harsh on him, but the cold fact is that he is not even 50% of the keeper that Saha is.  

Listen in summary Saha is top class keeper and competent batsman .

shoudl we aspire for better ? Absolutely . 

But right now no other keeepr has shown has the glove work yet . It is down to the pretenders to show they have the glove work and this they will get opportunities . To be honest real shame we cant use limited overs formats to groom one of these young guns . But hey ho that won't happen lol

saha will be the keepe for next 12 months that's for sure . In between that will a young pup show they are ready ? Personally I think pant and co will need at least 1 to 2 years solid keeepinh to be ready for test keeepin.

For spinners, MSD's wicketkeeping as good as Saha. Why would you say MSD keeping was less? The problem with MSD was batting in away tours (and Saha can still have the same issue), and keeping against pacers Saha >>> MSD. In home matches - MSD can bat with impact like the 200 vs Aus.

For future keepers - yes Pant and Kishan still need a year or two before they can get near Tests.

Edited by fineleg
2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Dude, I like Parthiv, but he was quite bad in the couple of England tests he played.  Forget actual chances - he wasn't even gathering cleanly a good 20% + of the time, keeping against spin.  And that's not an insult - its just reality.  I know some posters get harsh on him, but the cold fact is that he is not even 50% of the keeper that Saha is.  

Mind that England series was played on a far better surface than what we saw in Pune and Bangalore. 

14 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

3 whole Ranji seasons ? 
I still don't think a teenager's body is ready for long term sitting on haunches and standing up 400 times a day, for a whole day, year in-year out.

Typically teenagers do not have a very well developed core.

Yes, it has been 3 seasons he has been playing fro Jharkhand, debuted at the age of 15. and he is not your typical Indian teenager. Pant I would say was not as fit as Kishan in last year's U19 WC, but now he too got inspired and looks really fit and strong. Still, I dont see good fitness alone is a good enough reason for them to play test cricket. Test cricket needs a stronger temperament, being aware of the situation and more experience with bat and behind the stumps. They both need to work on their mental and technical aspects before being called in for test cricket. The warm up game against Australia was an example. 

Edited by rkt.india