Indian Street Food Tour of Amritsar, Punjab by Food Ranger

PBN

Kesar Da Dhaba has been regularly given great reviews by food bloggers and youtubers from what I've seen. I think that place is a food heaven for vegetarians in Amritsar.

I find Punjabi cuisine very attractive and tasty but I fail to understand how the people can digest the food which seems heavy thanks to lots of desi ghee. 

Edited by Turning_track

3 hours ago, Turning_track said:

Kesar Da Dhaba has been regularly given great reviews by food bloggers and youtubers from what I've seen. I think that place is a food heaven for vegetarians in Amritsar.

I find Punjabi cuisine very attractive and tasty but I fail to understand how the people can digest the food which seems heavy thanks to lots of desi ghee. 

Same here bro, I have one Punjabi meal and feel bloated for the next 24 hours.

On 1/5/2018 at 6:06 PM, Turning_track said:

I have been to Kesar I think and also this place called Kanhaia and there was another rataurant called Crystal. Used to go during my summer vacations back in the late 90s. 

I am sure Kesar has been around for a long time if I am right and so is Kanhaia sweets.

Regarding, the food, Northies are used to eating such heavy breakfast or lunch and naturally like all this stuff. Eatinf Paranthas with a lot of Makkhan is kind of trend now, especially in Punjab. 

On 06/01/2018 at 4:36 AM, Turning_track said:

Eat one heavy meal followed by khichdi for the next two meals.

1 hour ago, cowboysfan said:

I cant even eat punjabi food anymore,they put butter and Ghee in everything and without lactose tablets i feel like somebody is stabbing me in the stomach continuously. .

Off topic 

most desis who move to the US become lactose intolerant...I guess it has something to with the dairy here.

maybe your experience is with Punjabi food specifically in the US.

On 05/01/2018 at 5:06 PM, Turning_track said:

Punjabis are naturally very energetic and emotionally expressive (our kaptaan is a good example), so the fuel required to display all such high energy probably comes from heavy dairy foods!

Perhaps Afghans (Pashtoons) is the only race which consumes more fats than Punjabies. 

The fats consumption by Pashtoons comes in form of tallow. They have a special type of Afghan sheep race, which has this extra Fat sack, instead of tail. 

fattailedsheepafgn.jpg

Nevertheless, despite consuming so much fats, still Pashtoons are not fat themselves, especially in comparison to Punjabis who are often very fat. 

I have been to the driver hotels of Pashtoons, and it is like this that every thing (meat or vegetables) is swimming in the ocean of fats.

Edited by Alam_dar

Perhaps Afghans (Pashtoons) is the only race which consumes more fats than Punjabies. 
The fats consumption by Pashtoons comes in form of tallow. They have a special type of Afghan sheep race, which has this extra Fat sack at bottom, instead of tail. 

fattailedsheepafgn.jpg

Nevertheless, despite consuming so much fats, still Pashtoons are not fat themselves, especially in comparison to Punjabis who are often very fat. 

I have been to the driver hotels of Pashtoons, and it is like this that every thing (meat or vegetables) is swimming in the ocean of fats.
What are the Pashtoon meat dishes?

6 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:
7 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

What are the Pashtoon meat dishes?

There are different kinds of Kebabs mostly, and then Meat Balls and then Mutton Dum Pukht etc. (mainly they eat mutton, and Beef is secondary) 

Afghani Kebabs have a lot of fats in them (40% fat). But even this is not enough, while these Kebabs are not served directly, but they are put in extra Karahi first.

A lot of tallow is taken in the Karahi, then onions are fried in it, then come Tomatoes, spices, yoghurt, green chilli, then come Kebabs (which are separately finished on coals). So, this dish is actually "Kebab Karahi". 

How much meat can Pashtoons eat? .... A lot.

In Punjab, we order like 2 Kebabs or 3 Kebabs etc. But in Pashtoon driver hotels, we have to order 1/2 kg Kebabs or 1 kg Kababs (i.e. not by numbers, but by weight of meat and 1/2 kg of meat was minimum amount to be ordered). 

In the beginning, we Pubjabi friends never thought we could finish a Karahi which has 1/2 kg of meat in it, but "WATER" in the mountain areas is so healthy that eating so much was absolutely not a problem for us too. We were able to digest all easily (which is not possible while living in the big cities of Punjab). 

Some people say it is due to walking in the mountains which keeps you fit ever after eating so much, but I am sure biggest part is being played by the healthy mountain waters, which walking on the mountains play the secondary role. 

Edited by Alam_dar

On 14/01/2018 at 6:38 PM, Alam_dar said:

There are different kinds of Kebabs mostly, and then Meat Balls and then Mutton Dum Pukht etc. (mainly they eat mutton, and Beef is secondary) 

Afghani Kebabs have a lot of fats in them (40% fat). But even this is not enough, while these Kebabs are not served directly, but they are put in extra Karahi first.

A lot of tallow is taken in the Karahi, then onions are fried in it, then come Tomatoes, spices, yoghurt, green chilli, then come Kebabs (which are separately finished on coals). So, this dish is actually "Kebab Karahi". 

How much meat can Pashtoons eat? .... A lot.

In Punjab, we order like 2 Kebabs or 3 Kebabs etc. But in Pashtoon driver hotels, we have to order 1/2 kg Kebabs or 1 kg Kababs (i.e. not by numbers, but by weight of meat and 1/2 kg of meat was minimum amount to be ordered). 

In the beginning, we Pubjabi friends never thought we could finish a Karahi which has 1/2 kg of meat in it, but "WATER" in the mountain areas is so healthy that eating so much was absolutely not a problem for us too. We were able to digest all easily (which is not possible while living in the big cities of Punjab). 

Some people say it is due to walking in the mountains which keeps you fit ever after eating so much, but I am sure biggest part is being played by the healthy mountain waters, which walking on the mountains play the secondary role. 

I've heard that Afghans eat very bland food like western foods. Their food is mostly greasy fats and salt.