This habit of refusing singles and taking game to the last ball

maniac

How many games has this actually won?

I mean instead of finishing off the game early, this kind of chewpanti strategy has cost us more games than being useful.

Dhoni alone has lost 4-5 matches like this from memory.

Yesterday we saw Iyer do the same,Pandey the other day and today Hardik.

What a pointless tactic and yes I blame Dhoni for starting this stupid trend but then again players should use their own brains.

This Sadakchap joker Pandya is living off that fluke innings against the neighbours. He's not cut out for competitive cricket and is only good at changing hairstyles and posting selfies on Instagram.

This guy should be dropped from the team immediately and sent to domestics to work hard on the game.An absolute disgrace to the game of cricket.

Baffles me when I see talented batsmen like Rahul sitting out while this joker keeps on getting game after game.

I thought maniac had some acumen but not to be. In Iyer and Pandya's situation, there was no other choice. He could easily have taken singles and stayed not out as Wickets were falling from the other end. He was waiting for weaker bowlers. Hitting Rashid was impossible yesterday who making the ball zip turn at 95-100 kph. Pitch wasn't conducive for stroke play.

Dumb...another biased Dhoni hate thread...

Dhoni believes in taking it to the end theory...it does not mean last ball always...

The probability of winning by taking it as late as possible is right in LOIs and it is rightly echoed by most of the cricketers around the world...and this is mainly in the context of middle and lower order batting where Dhoni bats. Nobody advocates top order taking it to the end unless you want to vent your frustration at Dhoni. We have turned master chasers ever since Dravid became captain and started this trend with Dhoni n Yuvi. The take it to end theory is very good if you are a middle order batsman trying to chase and win.

Not giving strike in last 2/3 balls is no strategy that anyone advocates...its all situation dependent. If your required runs are significantly higher in last over and all you need is 4s and 6s, obviously the batsman capable of hitting those huge hits shud keep strike. 

52 minutes ago, Shunya said:

Dumb...another biased Dhoni hate thread...

Dhoni believes in taking it to the end theory...it does not mean last ball always...

The probability of winning by taking it as late as possible is right in LOIs and it is rightly echoed by most of the cricketers around the world...and this is mainly in the context of middle and lower order batting where Dhoni bats. Nobody advocates top order taking it to the end unless you want to vent your frustration at Dhoni. We have turned master chasers ever since Dravid became captain and started this trend with Dhoni n Yuvi. The take it to end theory is very good if you are a middle order batsman trying to chase and win.

Not giving strike in last 2/3 balls is no strategy that anyone advocates...its all situation dependent. If your required runs are significantly higher in last over and all you need is 4s and 6s, obviously the batsman capable of hitting those huge hits shud keep strike. 

OP wanted Markande, Bumrah, Fizz to take strike instead of Pandya. Pandya did the right thing. he was the only one who could win them the game. he could not that is a different thing. he could easily have given them stroke and stayed not out.

It can only be done with the confidence that Dhoni and Bevan has that they can finish the runs in the end overs. Its called keeping the target close within their range by placing the ball in the gaps and running hard. and in the last 2 overs they can hit a six or four to finish the game.

Before the arrival of Dhoni, India lost a lot of tournament finals where they had scores like 180/2 at the 30th over and crumble to 260. Its because the Indian batting was top heavy with Sachin, Sehwag and Saurav and the rest crumbled. With Dhoni assuming the finishing role, UV and Raina can play freely and Dhoni can use the end overs effectively.

This thread is more of a Dhoni hate thread rather than criticizing Pandya. Pandya is new to this type of environment and his style is similar to UV and Raina which is going the tonk. He doesnt know how to farm the strike and scoring at the same time.

@rkt.india you are getting my point wrong...If you start making calculations for the last over in over no.17 regardless of who you are batting with, itself is a defeatist mentality. 

Kaul,Sandeep and Thampi might be weak links in Pandya’s mind, but it takes one good ball when you are batting with the tail.

You smack what is in front of you in T20, obviously if it is the last 1-2 balls of the over and you are looking to farm strike that is totally fair but you don’t start calculating ahead of time.

Dhoni has lost quiet a few games like this in T20 format but I don’t want to make this about him,it is about the overall principle.

Now going back to the theory of batting with the tail, 2 of the most successful batsmen when it comes  to that I know of VVS Laxman and Steve Waugh...they never over did the farming of strike.

Edited by maniac