Does this test series has 2011 written all over it?

Last series we had Vijay, Rahane, Bhuvi and Dhoni doing well and still got humiliated after dominating first 2 tests.

This time:

Vijay - looks out of form and age is catching up with him.

Dhawan - We will be lucky if he manages 1 big score.

Pujara - couldn't buy a run whole county season. Won't be surprised if another 20 avg "see-the-new-ball" useless innings are common for him.

Kohli - only inform batsman. Then we have to see how he manages moving balls here. Will do well this time.

Rahane - Expecting couple of good scores from him.

Panday - hit and miss. Weakest link of the team. Ideally not needed for test team in England.

Rahul - Won't play

Bhuvi - injured

Shami - Still recovering. Will take 2-3 tests to return back to rhythm.

Bumrah - recovering

Ishant and Umesh - Only bowlers expected to bowl at full throttle right from start. Pray they come good somehow.

Kuldeep/Ashwin - Bonus performances/crucial role.

Pant/Karthik - Unknown materials. Karthik is known for 20s and 30s.

So only 2-3 reliable performers and rest all look uncertain.

England are a serious cricket team. Kohli and his chute tactics will be called out as clearly seen during the LOI series. I have no confidence going into the test series even with England not performing as well in test matches these days. It's an uphill task. India is in dire need of some momentum which was completely sapped by Eoin Morgan's men during the ODIs. We need the captain to take charge and stabilize things at this time but hey who are we talking about...

Edited by Sandeep99

Defeating a beleaguered South African XI in a dead rubber shouldn't lift India's hope of winning in England. England is a way more professional team and their fast bowlers will be at our throats throughout the series. It will take an epic effort and some terrific captaincy (alas..) to even come close in this series.

Edited by Sandeep99
7 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Kohli's cheap tactics will not work against strong teams as we have just saw in the LOIs. He needs to get the team selections 100% right, otherwise he is in for a royal spanking. 

It all depends on the first match and the momentum team India gains with it. He needs to be honest with his job or else he will not survive much longer.

It's a long series and even momentum can't help much. Team has to be ready for long haul. Can't be happy with 1-2 good scores. Someone like Vijay will have to chip in throughout the series even if it means scoring 30s and 40s with one or two big scores. 

For Dhawan our best hope is that he has a good day and scores a big match defining knock on sunny day. There is no place for being unlucky with this Indian team. 

You mean 2014 ? My mind started running on that disaster of a tour, 2011 was worse than 2014.

1 Our bowling is generally better. Ishant & Umesh are better than earlier, Bumrah could be back. Bigger pool of spinners as well.

2 Eng test team is aging but Anderson is still the top gun in suitable conditions and we create stars out of nobodies like Vince & Ballance.

It might just boil down to conditions. We will struggle, likely lose on green tops and could win in dry conditions  just like Pak tied in 2016.

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

It's a long series and even momentum can't help much. Team has to be ready for long haul. Can't be happy with 1-2 good scores. Someone like Vijay will have to chip in throughout the series even if it means scoring 30s and 40s with one or two big scores. 

For Dhawan our best hope is that he has a good day and scores a big match defining knock on sunny day. There is no place for being unlucky with this Indian team. 

There is no influence of Dhoni in Test cricket, so Kohli will just trust his instinct and will make a lot of changes as the series goes on. I think 3rd, 4th and 5th matches will be a lot closer as he will have found a team combination that works best for him. That's what happened in SA, he got the team selection right in 3rd test even though a lot of batsmen were in a poor form but they collectively performed well.  

But to win a series, he needs to get it right right from the start.

Kohli tends to experiment a lot with his selections, especially in Tests which can be a good or bad thing.
But I don't think we will win the series as only Pant is the guy in form.
He will not obviously get a chance at first but if Kartik fails, he will definitely get a look in.
Ofcourse Broad and Anderson are different beasts, and Senior Team India is a whole different league to U19 and A teams, especially given the politics.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Clarke said:

You mean 2014 ? My mind started running on that disaster of a tour, 2011 was worse than 2014.

1 Our bowling is generally better. Ishant & Umesh are better than earlier, Bumrah could be back. Bigger pool of spinners as well.

2 Eng test team is aging but Anderson is still the top gun in suitable conditions and we create stars out of nobodies like Vince & Ballance.

It might just boil down to conditions. We will struggle, likely lose on green tops and could win in dry conditions  just like Pak tied in 2016.

2011 was mostly poor batting. Requirement wasn't too much, they had to survive another hour in each of Lords, Trent Bridge and Oval test to make the scoreline 1-0 instead of 4-0.

We had no way to avoiding defeat in 2014 once we lost momentum after first 2 tests. Batting in last 3 tests of 2014 was worse than 2011 team. 

^ From results perspective, I don't expect this to be a whitewash tour. At best, England can replicate 2014, not 2011. I don't see our bowling going for 700/590 declared.

Agree with your point that batting can be a concern, am hoping Vijay, Kohli, Rahane & Rahul can all step up. Pandya & WK need to contribute here and there.

Edited by Clarke
17 minutes ago, Clarke said:

^ From results perspective, I don't expect this to be a whitewash tour. At best, England can replicate 2014, not 2011. I don't see our bowling going for 700/590 declared.

Agree with your point that batting can be a concern, am hoping Vijay, Kohli, Rahane & Rahul can all step up. Pandya & WK need to contribute here and there.

We still need to select the best possible combination, can't allow Kohli to flick a coin or play roulette with team selection.

Edited by R!TTER

You all are a bit too negative.

In 2011, problem at that time was that we were heavily dependent on just 1 bowler which was ZAK.

This time, we werent completely dependent on Bhuvi. He was our main weapon but as we saw in 2014, he goes off boil after 2 tests or so.

Infact, our bowling is still good if we consider Umesh, SHami and Ishu. With Bumrah to be back after 1st test. I dont think we will face similar situations as in 2011 or 2014 in terms of bowling.

Coming to batting, here we need Kohli and Rahane to have good series.

Also, i have a feeling that this could be the making of Rahul as Vijay or Dhawan will be out by 2nd test.

So, dont worry guys we will do well this time.....

4 minutes ago, Oldhere said:

You all are a bit too negative.

In 2011, problem at that time was that we were heavily dependent on just 1 bowler which was ZAK.

This time, we werent completely dependent on Bhuvi. He was our main weapon but as we saw in 2014, he goes off boil after 2 tests or so.

Infact, our bowling is still good if we consider Umesh, SHami and Ishu. With Bumrah to be back after 1st test. I dont think we will face similar situations as in 2011 or 2014 in terms of bowling.

Coming to batting, here we need Kohli and Rahane to have good series.

Also, i have a feeling that this could be the making of Rahul as Vijay or Dhawan will be out by 2nd test.

So, dont worry guys we will do well this time.....

So Rahul's not playing the first, damn that Kohli :facepalm: