What are our options without Pandya?

flamy

This is a precarious situation if we are without Pandya. Stress fractures are not minor injuries.

My first option is:

Replace Pandya with Pant. This means Jadhav has to bowl 10 overs. This gives hitting power, but little uncomfortable with entire 10 overs for Jadhav.

My second option is:

Shankar in place of Rayudu, and play Pant in place of Pandya.

Third:

Bumrah, Shami, Bhuvi, Chahal, Kuldeep - 5 bowlers, massive drop in batting power, and hope bowling makes up, and Bhuvi can bat a bit.

2 minutes ago, zen said:

Where is the news that Pandya is out of WC? 

He was stretchered out last time, and now his injury has reappeared. This looks like a stress fracture which can be difficult to detect. Hypothetical, yes.

Discussing the contingency scenario when we are PUCKED like this.

Pandya is integral. 

Just now, flamy said:

He was stretchered out last time, and now his injury has reappeared. This looks like a stress fracture which can be difficult to detect. Hypothetical, yes.

Discussing the contingency scenario when we are PUCKED like this.

Pandya is integral. 

Hypothetically, if he is out (from those said to be shortlisted by BCCI) 

pant

dhawan

kohli

rohit 

jadhav

dhoni 

kuldeep

bhuvi

shami

chahal

bumrah

If you want to add a batsman to strengthen batting on paper, Shankar in place of one of Bhuvi or Chahal per conditions 

My preferred 15 (I tend to support youngsters who play fearless cricket relatively) 

Shaw

Dhawan / Rohit 

Kohli

Agarwal

Pant (wk) / DK  

Pandya 

Jadhav / Shankar 

Kuldeep

Shami

Chahal / Bhuvi

Bumrah 

Or a quick bowler in place of Shankar in the squad 

Edited by zen

He's not an awesome all rounder that will be sorely missed. Jadhav/Shankar or someone else will fill those overs.

I understand the illusion of balance but our team hasn't felt that way mostly because of weak middle order & weaker death bowling besides Bumrah. Pandya can't fill those gaps by himself, those areas need to be addressed within themselves.

24 minutes ago, Clarke said:

He's not an awesome all rounder that will be sorely missed. Jadhav/Shankar or someone else will fill those overs.

I understand the illusion of balance but our team hasn't felt that way mostly because of weak middle order & weaker death bowling besides Bumrah. Pandya can't fill those gaps by himself, those areas need to be addressed within themselves.

He is the best hitter in the side and one of the key players in the team. As the ODIs vs NZ showed, his hitting ability is at another level. Even without his bowling, he can be in the side. His bowling (and that too at 140+) is a bonus 

6 minutes ago, zen said:

He is the best hitter in the side and one of the key players in the team. As the ODIs vs NZ showed, his hitting ability is at another level. Even without his bowling, he can be in the side. His bowling (and that too at 140+) is a bonus 

I don't doubt his presence in the side, just my opinion he's not Kohli/Bumrah type MVP. 

3 minutes ago, Clarke said:

I don't doubt his presence in the side, just my opinion he's not Kohli/Bumrah type MVP. 

In his category, he is ....  hardly anyone has the ability to get off the blocks as quickly as he does .... it terms of batting, he is also a special talent who is good vs both pace and spin (see his recent batting vs Boult for e.g.) .... If he plays up the order, his avg will get higher too. He is more of a #5-6. And can be good opening the batting too if required