Steve Smith reclaims No.1 Test ranking from Virat Kohli

Nikola

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

None. The only Indian bowlers to have been ranked no. 1 are Bedi, Jadeja and Ashwin. Kapil is the highest ranked pacer at no. 2.

Bedi and Kapil were never ranked this was done after the fact. All that is make believe like paks no 1 test ranking( excluding the 1 day ? They acheived after rankings were introduced)

After rankings were introduced only Jadeja and Ashwin

6 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Bedi and Kapil were never ranked this was done after the fact. All that is make believe like paks no 1 test ranking( excluding the 1 day ? They acheived after rankings were introduced)

After rankings were introduced only Jadeja and Ashwin

Don't see what the issue is with retrospective rankings. 

3 hours ago, Nikola said:

How many indian pace bowlers have been at #1 test ranking? for couple of months atleast? Anyone have stats?

no one since independence. kapil got to 2 briefly I think. mohd nissar or amar singh were both very good, but I don't think they would rank in top 3 at that time.

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Don't see what the issue is with retrospective rankings. 

they are untrue, ranking calculation usually changes with introduction of new rules in any sport. Retrospective rankings at best are a present day view of an earlier time. In my opinion i would not give them the same heft as current time rankings post the time rankings were introduced and followed by players and administrators alike. Folks at that time did not even know there was a point to winning a dead rubber test or playing as many games etc. 

Kohli's avg in WI seems to be permanently set as mediocre.  That first ball duck pretty much sealed it. That is where he debuted IIRC, and he really struggled his first series there. That is back when he struggled vs short bowling worse than Raina. Even after that, he has only scored 1 century there, although that was a double.