India players reportedly 'intimidated' by coach Kumble

12 minutes ago, mishra said:

As long as selectors do the job and Kohli is leading the pack we are fine. Unless offcourse we get a coach like Dravid.  I still think Jumbo should gets a most amount of credit for change in fortune of team India.

IIRC a year back, Chepu was almost certainly a player to be dropped to make space for likes of Rohit in test arena. Kumble backed him and backed him to hilt. Result was everyone to see. He rightly prooved that he is most valued batsmen in Indian test arena.

Kohli, still seems to come out as a person who prefers a experienced tried tested player to be in playing 11 and is reluctant to change too much. The combo of Kumble and Kohli have worked so far. Lets hope someone talks some sense and  K K duos reconcile

Along with being a good coach in terms of guiding the team, its also important to be good at man management which not many people are good at. Ultimately, some players will feel hard done because of being pushed too far or being dropped. The coach needs to know how to handle these issues which Kumble may not be good at. But nobody can deny that he has had a positive impact on the team and how they have performed over the past year. Its ultimately up to the team as a whole to decide if they want him to continue as a coach or not. 

Edited by NareshK
Just now, NareshK said:

Along with being a good coach in terms of guiding the team, its also important to be good at man management which not many people are good at. Ultimately, some players will feel hard done because of being pushed too far or being dropped. The coach needs to know how to handle these issues which Kumble may not be good at. But nobody can deny that he has had a positive impact on the team and how they have performed over the past year. Its ultimately up to the team as a whole to decide if they want him to continue as a coach or not. 

While I agree that there is no smoke without fire but Kohli got to understand that Akela Chana Bhaand nahi phodata i.e. One person cant win trophy by himself. Kohli should have realized this even more with recently concluded RCB's fate in IPL.

Till now, I still think Jumbo is still a better judge in chopping picking backing players then Kohli. Kohli may not like it but he should accept it. Unless offcourse Jumbo is doing too much politics, which I suspect he is doing.

Just a timepass story. Any team will have some clashes of opinion and ideas. Dissent and all is fine as long as it stays inside the dressing room. Unnecessary hype created by media and people enjoying because they love masala news.

However, I would not like coach to have lot of power and should not be trying to act like a king. Who knows someone in future might take it even one step more further and cause much harm. Captain has to be leader for the team, rest all should just perform the tasks they are assigned to. If Kumble is interested in changing the way BCCI runs, he should take up administrative posts in BCCI and fight it out there instead of doing it all as a Coach.

7 hours ago, Lannister said:

After Kumble became coach, Dhawan, Raina, Rohit have all been dropped, at least once. He must have been pushing the free passengers to perform or perish. No wonder some players have an agenda against him.

Its been 4 years since we have won anything at the ICC tournament. 

Is he a coach or selector? He can only do one job. Next, India's recent record in ICC tournament is good, since 2013 win, there have been 3 events where we were in 2 semi's and 1's finalists. And if you consider the record since 2011, it is even better. So really what's your argument?

Edited by someone

If this is true, seems like Kumble wants to be the manager of the team (in football style) than just a coach. In football, manager is the king where he makes all the main decisions including tactical. However, Cricket is very different so Kumble really should behave like a coach than a manager.

And justs replace Kumble with a Chappell, I am certain 99% of fans would be backing the players. Shows how much just the "name" affects the perception. Now, obviously this whole discussion is valid only if this matter is genuine.

Edited by someone
7 hours ago, Lannister said:

haha Nope. I see the cancer under Dhoni has manifested again. 

Haha nope ? So before Dhoni used to select playing Xi.. now Kohli's granddad would ? Uncle stick to sachins 100s which you are best at... retire hoja yaha se :giggle:

I am a big fan of Kohli, but it seems to me that "Buddy" System is way too strong in the team. It is making some really talented players not getting a chance to get into team and once they get into the team, not being played in top 11. You will be reluctant to select someone like Pant in  by dropping a player when you were dancing at their wedding.  Most of times, best leaders are not buddies of people they are commanding.  

Now they want coaches like fletcher/fearless cricket shahstri who are just there to collect paychecks and don't have any input in the team. What does it even mean to play fearless cricket BC?  Are you saying players like Pujara, who contributed by playing carefully to get a series win against OZ were wrong? 

24 minutes ago, someone said:

If this is true, seems like Kumble wants to be the manager of the team (in football style) than just a coach. In football, manager is the king where he makes all the main decisions including tactical. However, Cricket is very different so Kumble really should behave like a coach than a manager.

And justs replace Kumble with a Chappell, I am certain 99% of fans would be backing the players. Shows how much just the "name" affects the perception. Now, obviously this whole discussion is valid only if this matter is genuine.

Difference is Chappell was afflicted with permanent verbal diarrhea, couldn't keep his pie-hole shut, and was an obscene, unprofessional lout who himself tried to create rifts within the team to further his agenda.  It's not the name, it's the behavior that rightfully affects the perception.  Kumble may be tough and over-demanding, but from all accounts, he is a thorough gentleman.  

1 minute ago, Brainfade said:

Difference is Chappell was afflicted with permanent verbal diarrhea, couldn't keep his pie-hole shut, and was an obscene, unprofessional lout who himself tried to create rifts within the team to further his agenda.  It's not the name, it's the behavior that rightfully affects the perception.  Kumble may be tough and over-demanding, but from all accounts, he is a thorough gentleman.  

The guy was a captain once upon time, we all have seen what style of leader he was. He wasn't kissy-poo type, but not too hard on players. Sometimes he did get mad in the field, but only when others made mistakes. Chappel had few good ideas, but he was messed up in the head. He always wanted to run the circus, and went behind back of players to get what he wanted. 

If Kumble gets the boot now we will never know how good coach he was for team India.He mostly coached when team was playing at home. I would think even Shastri's record would have been same if not better if he coached them at home.

I don't think reports of rifts about Kuldeep Yadav 's inclusion are true at all. Kohli started five bowler theory even before Kumble became head coach. Kumble as a captain was ultra conservative and I cannot see him becoming an aggressive coach all of sudden.Who was Kuldeep replacing for Ranchi test.Batting was weaker during first two tests and they needed extra batsman than a bowler.

really poor timing for all this noise to be surfacing at the start of Champions Trophy.  Also, BCCI looking for new applications just ahead of the tournament is also poor timing.  Creates confusion, doubts, and tabloid news.

9 minutes ago, PBN said:

really poor timing for all this noise to be surfacing at the start of Champions Trophy.  Also, BCCI looking for new applications just ahead of the tournament is also poor timing.  Creates confusion, doubts, and tabloid news.

The way I see it, Somewhere Kumble lost the track and got involved in BCCI CoA ICC controversy. On top of that he started demanding 1.5 times salary hike while grassroot Ranaji players get a meagre pension of just Rs 15,000/-.

So Somewhere I think Kumble lost the sight of what he was for. Coach is for team and team only. No one gets 1.5 times hike in less than a year. He should understand that him and big 3 can not run a autocratic regime. Neither him nor Big 3 areeither politician or Administrators. He should stick to technical stuff

24 minutes ago, Brainfade said:

I don't want or need to defend Chappell. The point is players were brave at that time, and openly signaled out him. In this case today, obviously due to "Kumble" name, many players nor fans will go against him.  And that "thorough gentleman" phase you wrote, adds to what I meant, that his rep and name is giving him a lot of immunity. Nothing against Kumble, but just saying the "name" affects our perception.

9 hours ago, beetle said:

Which player of the present generation can be termed lazy or not wanting to improve.

The era of fun party loving guys is gone.

These guys are professionals who know they have to work on themselves or there are others waiting in the wings who are as professional as them .

If it was one or two senior players , we could say it is a personal or ego idsue. But looks like a lot more people are unhappy.

Intimidation never works for long .

That is the lazy way of getting things done.

The part about injuries seem scary .

Let the professional deal with how the players have to maintain fitness .Kumble should stick to his role as a chief coach and not try to be king.

I find it hard to believe players like kohli have a problem with hard work.

Except for Yuvi and Rohit ( both of them were not regular members during kumble time) I don't see anyone who is not improving their fitness level.

Kumble should be worrying about the cricket skills like slip fielding. Instead of taking the fielding coach to task , he has asked for a raise for him.

And kumble probably gets too much credit for the victories at home .

there is that element, getting too big for his shoes.

17 minutes ago, mishra said:

The way I see it, Somewhere Kumble lost the track and got involved in BCCI CoA ICC controversy. On top of that he started demanding 1.5 times salary hike while grassroot Ranaji players get a meagre pension of just Rs 15,000/-.

So Somewhere I think Kumble lost the sight of what he was for. Coach is for team and team only. No one gets 1.5 times hike in less than a year. He should understand that him and big 3 can not run a autocratic regime. Neither him nor Big 3 areeither politician or Administrators. He should stick to technical stuff

Correct. A common case where new employee think he is better than rest, and thus interferes and say on things way outside his job duties and responsibilities.

Edited by someone

Chappell's methods might have been wrong but he did want to create a team which was more professional and also more accountable. Ganguly became a big burden on the team with his no show as a batsman.

Sehwag was fast becoming a slob and was rightly kicked out of team and Bhajji was always absent away from home.These players were the most critical about Chappell.

Big four never took blame for all their failures and were rarely accountable.

We do not need a coach who is going to be a yes man for the captain we need a coach who constantly questions and challenges the captain.If Kumble is that man then it would a great disservice to Indian cricket if they kick him out.

Edited by putrevus
14 minutes ago, someone said:

I don't want or need to defend Chappell. The point is players were brave at that time, and openly signaled out him. In this case today, obviously due to "Kumble" name, many players nor fans will go against him.  And that "thorough gentleman" phase you wrote, adds to what I meant, that his rep and name is giving him a lot of immunity. Nothing against Kumble, but just saying the "name" affects our perception.

I don't think any player came out in the open against Chappell till  after he quit.