Tendulkar convinces shastri to apply

2 minutes ago, kosingh said:

Intersting Shastri interview from a while ago. Before the current drama. But gives you an insight into how he thinks. 

My favorite part of the interview

"I don’t know what the Indian way is but I won’t lick a** to play. I won’t lick a** to do anything in life. What you learnt from the game. You played it hard. Only thing that kept you going was that if you scored runs and took wickets that is what you are. Not because of an X or a Y."

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/ipl-2016-ravi-shastri-interview-commentator-those-days-i-was-at-night-club-at-oberoi-till-2-am-next-day-100-then-back-at-oberoi/

Pretty much sounded as cliche as his commentary except there was no live mic or network broadcast involved and he could use some expletives

Just now, maniac said:

Will it work in the correct environment-NO

What do you mean by that "correct environment"

It will work especially if we go overseas with Moody's knowledge from different parts of the world and having seen and used the bowlers from different eras and how the game has changed. 

He has toured with many players under him as a coach and knows how they team struggles overseas in LOI, so he knows the ins and outs and his inputs here will be valuable. 

Just now, maniac said:

Pretty much sounded as cliche as his commentary except there was no live mic or network broadcast involved and he could use some expletives

He sounds like some shounen hero - the more you shout and display "positiveness", the more you achieve. Such an atittude has no bearing in reality, and belongs inside a fantasy world.

Just now, Cricketics said:

What do you mean by that "correct environment"

It will work especially if we go overseas with Moody's knowledge from different parts of the world and having seen and used the bowlers from different eras and how the game has changed. 

He has toured with many players under him as a coach and knows how they team struggles overseas in LOI, so he knows the ins and outs and his inputs here will be valuable. 

I meant current environment.

If Moody has no say in what X1 plays, what strategy to adopt, what to do if we win toss etc etc then yes he will be useless.So will be Andy Flower, Bob Woolmer etc etc

1 minute ago, maniac said:

I meant current environment.

If Moody has no say in what X1 plays, what strategy to adopt, what to do if we win toss etc etc then yes he will be useless.So will be Andy Flower, Bob Woolmer etc etc

I don't think Moody won't have any say. I think he will turn out to be someone like John Wright and even better, someone who will change and convince Kohli to listen to him and they will coordinate well.

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I don't think Moody won't have any say. I think he will turn out to be someone like John Wright and even better, someone who will change and convince Kohli to listen to him and they will coordinate well.

You are already convinced and we are hoping, ok let's hope for the best :)

2 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

VVS is on  the committee right? Hopefully he pushes for Moody and hopefully Dada is against Shashtri. I need tracer bullet in the commentary box. :agree:

It may come down to VVS. Sachin is fanboying over shastri, and Dada will probably be anti-Shastri.

8 hours ago, mishra said:

Dada, Has made it clear. If anything BCCI wants Shashtri.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/sourav-ganguly-s-criteria-for-next-india-coach-one-who-wins-matches/story-Nt49NRX0bWszbkVg1LDq5K.html

IIRC Shashtri openly spoke in tune with BCCI to not accept ICC memeber Boards dadagiri over revenue and power sharing. Kumble went with CoA

BCCI is playing politics as well ,  Their internal politics is now taking over the coach's position.  Whatever the issues between BCCI and ICC is , should be free from who to play favorites to play the coach.  Management issues should not dictate the coach's selection.  

2 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

BCCI is playing politics as well ,  Their internal politics is now taking over the coach's position.  Whatever the issues between BCCI and ICC is , should be free from who to play favorites to play the coach.  Management issues should not dictate the coach's selection.  

I hope that this doesn't spill over into selection, etc. in the broader sense.

7 hours ago, Cricketics said:

How sure are we. He likes Ravi Shastri, but might gel even better with Moody. 

I think Moody will be the best option. 

But at the end of the day, whoever becomes, should be someone who keeps the team happy. I was seeing Ashwin's "What the duck" episode with Vikram Sathaye where he seems to talk in a way that team was kind of fine with Ravi Shastri, even though he doesn't directly say it. 

At the end of the day, whoever is the coach, players should feel comfortable in approaching him and not just the other way around. If Shastri does that or Moody, i don't care as long as the team is not broken like it got under Chappell. 

You got that backwards. team needs to perform and keep coach happy.

Shastri will do well. Though he is a bootlicker of bcci and has good relations with all big heads he is a different guy when it comes to cricketing matters. His knowledge of the game is second to none. Lot of times on air I realized that sunny sanjay and likes have remained frozen in their playing days and don't contribute much in terms of today's challenges but shastri isn't like that. 

Wait. So kohli and players want Shastri that they went to the extent of tarnishing kumble and Sachin being the ever so " going with the wind type of guy" chose safe option of giving what these brats want.  And we are blaming only Sachin and not Kohli and players for Shastriji. :laugh1: What is the guarantee these players wouldn't have any problems with functioning style of Moody?

What if players just want Shastri? Are you privy to inside info.? 

Sachin always want to be safe from confrontational decisions and one can blame him for that but to say he is favouring his "Mumbai" kar is ridiculous.

Regarding conflict of interest. This committee is not just for judging applications but also for ensuring right candidates applying since greater interest of cricket is at its heart. Now its another matter that these three are using personal rapport with individuals in encouraging or discouraging to apply and/or select. This conflict of interest is over emphasised. If you ask nobodies to select you will complain about their qualifications to select and if you ask some big names to do so there will always be such type of  'conflict of interests'

Ganguly has uneasy personal relations with Shastri and that would be equally biased and wrong if he does not want Shastri.Laxman would obviously root for Moody.But now that Shastri has applied I suspect he has agreed for Shastri since he was never going to apply if he doesnt get it. Sachin lacks courage to take a decision against team's liking.

Edited by Pollack
11 hours ago, bleaf27 said:

Coach and to some extent Captains position is also political too. Kumble played politics. Failed and Paid the price. Simple as that.

1 hour ago, mishra said:

Coach and to some extent Captains position is also political too. Kumble played politics. Failed and Paid the price. Simple as that.

There is no evidence for Kumble playing politics while in his role as a coach.  

Coach's should not be used as pawns for fight between BCCI and COA and if I am not mistaken BCCI themselves chose Kumble over Shastri last year