Why Has Dhoni Lost His ODI Mojo?: Aakash Chopra

The Dhoni Question  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Dhoni?

• Let him continue down the order, and trust him to work it out and eventually bring down his dot ball percentage
    • Drop him from the ODI squad
    • Move him to the middle order, batting at 4, so he possibly can get in by the 25th over, if 2 wickets go down.
    • Move him to the top order, so he has the power play to get in
  2. 2. If Dhoni retires or is dropped, who do you want to see take over the LOI wicket-keeping position?

4 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Of course. They usually come into the game after dhoni sucks the momentum out of the innings so they are left to do so much. Maybe if they arrive at the crease with rrr of 3.5, their gameplan wont be to tuk tuk tuk and take the game to the last over.

There have been quite a few instances Jadhav has come in early and got out . Even his best innings till date his partnership with Virat was very good untill he played one shot too many and we lost the match .

So far it hasnt worked !!

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

We lost yesterday's game too because of lack

of ability of some bowlers or lower order failing to kick on- happens in cricket.

114 balls is criminal...how many deliveries you need to settle down in a OD game...after playing 70+ deliveries you need to start making up

for it...period

Who the hell goes 104 balls without scoring a boundary? That's your game plan? Maybe next time share your game plan with Pandya and Jadhav as well. So they can tuk tuk with you and take the match to the last over.

Edited by Laaloo
3 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

There have been quite a few instances Jadhav has come in early and got out . Even his best innings till date his partnership with Virat was very good untill he played one shot too many and we lost the match .

They are still too early to be judged. Pandya hasnt even played a handful of games. Dhoni came at the crease with 143 to get in ~ 37 overs. RRR of 3.83. If Pandya and Jadhav had been promoted up the order, do you think they would have tuk tuked and kept increasing the rate to nearly 7 because of your fetish to take the match to the last over?

114 balls. He scores one boundary against Roston Chase after 104 balls on a ball dragged down leg side. :facepalm: There was no intent at all.

6 hours ago, Sidhoni said:

Do the math yourself

LOL Classic example of running away when it backfired. :giggle: 

Make mindless accusations and when people call out on your BS you behave as if nothing happened. 

Could have understood if it was someone else but a Rohit fan doing this is the biggest Irony ever.  

8 hours ago, jusarrived said:

I dont like to call any player selfish  ( one exception ), cant belive you call some one like Viru selfish as well . Players dont become selfish towards the end of their career , they loose their ability same case with Viru and Dhoni . The self belief is gone and he does not trust himself taking risks .

Dude you are not just a Tendulkar fan ( totally OK )  , but also a Rohit sharma fan ..and you go around accusing other players of being selfish ? 

I dont see our discussions going anywhere on this topic 

yes, selfish word is a bit too harsh, but certianly things changes with time. Sehwag's case is a good example. In his later years, he started trying too hard to match his reputation of being Sehwag who would bludgeon attacks. The guy who used to dominate spinners was getting out to spinners on on nohting deliveries trying to dominate them even in places like Australia.

8 hours ago, jusarrived said:

He had to play the shots in that game. We would have lost anyway had he not played shots.

9 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Assuming we let go of Dhoni now 

Dhawan

Rohit ( lol)

Virat 

Pant 

Rahul/Pandey 

Jadhav (?) - .

How many of these guys who are in contention you think will be around the WC ? 

Rahul and Pant are the only quality replacements and unfortunately both are openers and if they have to survive in the team will be forced to play a role which is not natural to them . So we need a miracle here if both have to be in the team . Would you bet on both pulling it off ? 

Pandey and Jadhav are fringe players at best , while the former lacks consistency the later I would not trust him in pressure matches especially chasing .These guys may still play the next WC , but good luck winning the cup with them . 

Except for Virat and to an extent Dhawan , one one else is proven . So do we realistically expect 3-4 batting spots and that too middle order spots to be filled up in the next 2 years ? 

The problem is we are not winning with the current lot either. That's 100% certainty. Our middle order is more problematic than ever when compared to other positions, and the only way going forward is to bring in new set of players. 

10 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Assuming we let go of Dhoni now 

Dhawan

Rohit ( lol)

Virat 

Pant 

Rahul/Pandey 

Jadhav (?) - .

How many of these guys who are in contention you think will be around the WC ? 

Rahul and Pant are the only quality replacements and unfortunately both are openers and if they have to survive in the team will be forced to play a role which is not natural to them . So we need a miracle here if both have to be in the team . Would you bet on both pulling it off ? 

Pandey and Jadhav are fringe players at best , while the former lacks consistency the later I would not trust him in pressure matches especially chasing .These guys may still play the next WC , but good luck winning the cup with them . 

Except for Virat and to an extent Dhawan , one one else is proven . So do we realistically expect 3-4 batting spots and that too middle order spots to be filled up in the next 2 years ? 

lets supoose we drop dhoni from next series onwards and play this eleven:

pant

dhawan

kohli

kl rahul/pandey

rohit

jadhav

k pandya

h pandya

kuldeep

bhuvi

bhumrah

can play another leg spinner in place of a batsman if need be but you think this side will miss dhoni's batting the way he is batting currently,i mean is he an upgrade?

19 hours ago, jusarrived said:

I would give Dhoni another 6-12 months , hes lost a bit of form and his role has changed quite a bit and I think he deserves a chance to settle himeslef into a new role though. If he continues to struggle in the next 15-20 matches I expect him to retire on his won . His strength has always been about knowing his limitations  .

I still give a 50% chance of a massive turnaround in his game  , right now hes a bit like a noob batsmen whos unsure weather to go bang bang or not . A couple of good innings mayjust change things for him.

Hand -eye coordination players like Sehwag , Jayasuriya  and much earlier, Srikkanth barely last beyond 35-36 years whereas likes of Tendulkar and Misbah players beyond 40s .

Indian selectors were quite merciless at Sehwag and loss of form in 1-2 series was enough to send him packing at before 35 years of age  whereas he had expressed desire to bat at 4 or 5 . He was not even given chance for the same. Dhoni seems to be on thin ice but surviving as the selectors itself don't have a big name among themselves to take a big decision  ; him being a legendary WC2011 , CT2013 and WT202007 winning captain and the fact that his wicket-keeping is still pretty good .

17 hours ago, SecondSlip said:

Drop Yuvraj from the team and promote Dhoni to #4. 

See how he does in the upcoming ODI series in SL and the home ODI series against Australia then make a call. 

Should retire immediately from T20 cricket though. 

As long as Pant plays all the matches from now on, that's ok. Pant can wk and Dhoni can field elsewhere for some matches. We need to give all the chances to Pant so we can figure out if he should be the wk in 2019 WC or not. With the current way that Dhoni is going, he might be forced to retire in 6 months if not earlier. 

There is absolutely no justification for not playing Pant in the 5 odis against a windies C side. Absolutely none. :facepalm:

15 hours ago, SK_IH said:

lets supoose we drop dhoni from next series onwards and play this eleven:

pant

dhawan

kohli

kl rahul/pandey

rohit

jadhav

k pandya

h pandya

kuldeep

bhuvi

bhumrah

can play another leg spinner in place of a batsman if need be but you think this side will miss dhoni's batting the way he is batting currently,i mean is he an upgrade?

Rohit does not have the game to play down the order , hes a 25 average batsmen if you dont open with him and that wont happen anyway . He will not be moved down the order for any player, bigger chance of Virat moving down . 

Jadhav , like i said earlier I have nothing against him , but hes a massive downgrade from our normal batting standards . I also have big doubts about him when under pressure . 

Pandey same as above , but only that hes a big stage player , but can he be consistent till the next WC to find himself in the squad . I am not sure . 

Rahul/Pant - unproven 

As for Dhoni , am not saying the way hes playing now hes making a difference , but even if hes at 80% of his game I would take him over couple of the players in contention now . 

The point is , yes we can replace him but we have much bigger holes to fill in this team , get that sorted first . What if Pant and rahul consistently fail for next 12 months ? The way we are selecting the team these days with no reasoning , I will not be surprised if we start looking at bringing back Raina in next few months . 

15 hours ago, rkt.india said:

He had to play the shots in that game. We would have lost anyway had he not played shots.

I would not judge him based on that innings , but for now he plays cameos which is great , but do I trust him in a pressure game . No , from what I have seen off him . Will be happy if am proved wrong , cos that covers a very important batting position for us .  

15 hours ago, Lannister said:

The problem is we are not winning with the current lot either. That's 100% certainty. Our middle order is more problematic than ever when compared to other positions, and the only way going forward is to bring in new set of players. 

if you look around , all the good talents in domestic are top order players . I was never a big fan of Samson , cos I felt he was too edgy or casual how ever you want to put it , but hes the only decent bet . 

3 hours ago, Laaloo said:

As long as Pant plays all the matches from now on, that's ok. Pant can wk and Dhoni can field elsewhere for some matches. We need to give all the chances to Pant so we can figure out if he should be the wk in 2019 WC or not. With the current way that Dhoni is going, he might be forced to retire in 6 months if not earlier. 

There is absolutely no justification for not playing Pant in the 5 odis against a windies C side. Absolutely none. :facepalm:

Pretty much what am saying , Give these guys chances first , atleast couple of them have 20 games played and the pressure will naturally fall on Dhoni if the other positions are all settled . 

2 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Rohit does not have the game to play down the order , hes a 25 average batsmen if you dont open with him and that wont happen anyway . He will not be moved down the order for any player, bigger chance of Virat moving down . 

Jadhav , like i said earlier I have nothing against him , but hes a massive downgrade from our normal batting standards . I also have big doubts about him when under pressure . 

Pandey same as above , but only that hes a big stage player , but can he be consistent till the next WC to find himself in the squad . I am not sure . 

Rahul/Pant - unproven 

As for Dhoni , am not saying the way hes playing now hes making a difference , but even if hes at 80% of his game I would take him over couple of the players in contention now . 

The point is , yes we can replace him but we have much bigger holes to fill in this team , get that sorted first . What if Pant and rahul consistently fail for next 12 months ? The way we are selecting the team these days with no reasoning , I will not be surprised if we start looking at bringing back Raina in next few months . 

Hope Virat doesnt move down the order

JAdhav- he has done well in given chances. My concern with jadhav is that this team needs a 6th bowler someone who can give 5+ over consistently n if needed even 10. Jadhav with his new and unique bowling right now also will give u around 5 only but what happens when opp figure him out. Hardik cannot be relied for 10 overs consistently for next 2-3 yrs, he ll be giving 7-8 good overs most days and some days 10 but then others can also have off days specially in this day n age of batting dominance. So at 6 we need to look at a hitter who can give u bowling. Jadhav also proves to be a liability in field, so these things will haunt his chances in future. I dnt see him playing in 2019WC

Like Pant n Rahul Even pandey has to prove a lot, specially that he wasnt a one knock wonder. But for that these players need to be given a chance . Yes they may fail but we have enough talent to try . We are not helping our case by wasting time on rahane, karthik n yuvi . 

On 7/10/2017 at 11:42 PM, jusarrived said:

Pant is not being considered as opener as his state, ipl, National team are all making him bat in middle

Rahul has the game to bat in middle, players in past have batted at diff position in Odi to their natural positions. Its early stage of his career if he is given a clear role he ll work his game out acc.....important is he has the game needed for a no.4 players 

Ill say as of now even hardik's place looks secure. 

Neither do i see rohit going anywere, he ll get enough pattas n pancakes in btw to pile on runs n give hope of his talent .