Sachin Tendulkar v Virat Kohli - who is better ODI batsman?

Who is better ODI batsman?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better ODI batsman?

16 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:
  • kohli scored in 2013 CT final which we won
  • Played a cruicial inning in 2011 Wc final which we won 
  • Scored runs in 2014 T20 final, we lost due yuvi n dhoni. 
  • Scored in 2016 t20 Semi , we lost due to rahane innings 

T20s ko ghusana jaruri hai ODI ke thread me to defend Kohli??

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Kohli is not as technically sound as Sachin. Given the fact he has no real backfoot game he relies purely on his form and touch.  He is not that familiar against new ball vagaries as Sachin was.  Sachin is mentally prepared to face new ball. So he could easily adapt. In 2003 world cup final, INdia was looking at a total of 360. Honestly those days 360 total was an unrealistic chase. He didn't have a clue how to plan his chase. He tried to go after from first over. Lost his wicket. I would excuse him for that. But 2011 WC final was not good for him.  Having said that both Kohli and Sachin have been very good against our arch nemesis Pakistan in world events. A match with highest pressure for any participant.

Kohli sucked balls since 2019 vs parkies.

Another point is that Tendulkar dominated three World Cups- 1996, 2003 and 2011.

How many did Kohli dominated? Answer is zero. He doesn't have a single World Cup where he was among the top 10 leading run scorer also, that's a massive blip in his ODI record and . Alongwith that, not a single great ODI World Cup knockout knock to recall of. 

As great he has been in T20 world cups, he has been a massive disappointments in ODI World Cups and ODI World Cup counts more than T20s World Cup which goes without saying.

In ODIs, I would put Viv, Tendulkar, Ponting and ABD all four ahead of Kohli due to this massive dip in his ODI World Cup performance. It has been extremely poor for such a high standard performer in ODIs bilaterals.

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

baat pressure game ki ho rhi hai, t20 men pressure nhin hota kya 

Baat ODIs ki ho rahi..check again. Also pressure of ODI World Cup is higher than T20 world cup. T20 World Cup is not even very relevant when it comes to highest level of International cricket. Actually ab thoda sa relevance badh gaya hai and taken upstage over ODIs because it has become a money making formula.

5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Baat ODIs ki ho rahi..check again. Also pressure of ODI World Cup is higher than T20 world cup. T20 World Cup is not even very relevant when it comes to highest level of International cricket. Actually ab thoda sa relevance badh gaya hai and taken upstage over ODIs because it has become a money making formula.

congrats in that case he has scored in ODI also 

2013 ct was actually ODi cut down to 20 over but still was an ODI and wc 2011 was also 50 over on both occasions we won 

Sachin failed in 2003 wc final, 2011 final , only scored in 2000 Ct final which we lost. 

why is t20 Wc irrelevant ?? Wc is a Wc

2013 ct was actually ODi cut down to 20 over but still was an ODI and wc 2011 was also 50 over on both occasions we won 

Sachin failed in 2003 wc final, 2011 final , only scored in 2000 Ct final which we lost. 

This is a discussion about two of the greatest ODI players. Highlighting knocks of 30 and 50 make me feel like we are having a discussion on Ashwin the batsman and not Kohli the batsman lol.

IF you want to debate between them, then tell me which all ODI World Cups did Kohli dominated? Tendulkar dominated three World Cups and then scored and won his team in quarter and semis too. He scored in all the three semi finals he played -1996, 2003,2011. Ab final v wohi jitaye kya? He also dominated those three ODI World Cups. For Kohli, I don't recall him dominating any. That's a massive blip for a GOAT contention.

23 minutes ago, Majestic said:

This is a discussion about two of the greatest ODI players. Highlighting knocks of 30 and 50 make me feel like we are having a discussion on Ashwin the batsman and not Kohli the batsman lol.

IF you want to debate between them, then tell me which all ODI World Cups did Kohli dominated? Tendulkar dominated three World Cups and then scored and won his team in quarter and semis too. He scored in all the three semi finals he played -1996, 2003,2011. Ab final v wohi jitaye kya? He also dominated those three ODI World Cups. For Kohli, I don't recall him dominating any. That's a massive blip for a GOAT contention.

Kohli has never been best player in odi worldcup in his team itself. In 2011 Sachin, Gambhir, Yuvi all did better than him. Rohit & Dhawan were better in 2015 & Rohit better in 2019. He has one worldcup left to dominate completely & win it for india. We can only compare after that.

Actually odi but in reality twenty twanty only no? So twenty twenty it is. It was 2013. It wasn't 50 over. We played 20 overs. So 20 overs it is. Kohli is weak in odi. Bilateral bully. But now even there he has become a tukuda tukuda player. 

3 hours ago, Majestic said:

I would rather have a 49 year old Tendulkar at the WC than Kohli, such is Kohli's decline.

This thread did not age well. Kohli is a clown.

Kohli when in form is 100 times better than Sachin ever was, ODis it is not even a contest. Kohli may be done as player , but it does not diminish his greatness. Openers score most runs in any major tournament. That does not mean Sachin becomes better batsman odi batsman than Kohli. A guy who makes his debut in 1989 but needs till 2007  to score an away 100 against best team of his era is not better batsman by any metric.

Edited by putrevus
4 hours ago, putrevus said:

Kohli when in form is 100 times better than Sachin ever was, ODis it is not even a contest. Kohli may be done as player , but it does not diminish his greatness. Openers score most runs in any major tournament. That does not mean Sachin becomes better batsman odi batsman than Kohli. A guy who makes his debut in 1989 but needs till 2007  to score an away 100 against best team of his era is not better batsman by any metric.

What does 100 times better than Sachin of 1996/2003/2011 WC look like? Would Kohli have scored 67000 runs in 2003 WC? Or would he have smashed McGrath in the final to chase 360 in 12.2 overs? 

Kohli has never come close to matching what Shakib did in 2019 WC. First let him be among top 10 best batsmen of a WC then you can make these big statements. The way things are unravelling for him let us hope he finishes among top 10 Indian run getters in 2023 WC. Now we all know what 37 yo Sachin did the last time WC was in India, right?

One guy owned the competition in 2 WCs which also featured players like Lara, Ponting, Mark Waugh, Hayden, Gilchrist, Jayasuriya, Aravinda, Gibbs, Trescothick, Ganguly, Sehwag, Anwar, Inzi, Andy Flower etc. Then at the end of his career, took his team to the final and narrowly missed out in the runs tally to peak Dilshan. 

Other guy never even close to being the best batsman of his team in any of the WCs (total 3). His last 2 WC KOs in the 2015 and 2019 SFs, should I even talk about then lmao? Kohli's greatest legacy will always be tonking C/D/E team bowlers in Cycle Agarbathi and Bahar Pan Masala dead rubber matches played in Rajkot and Indore. Him and Amla are the undisputed kings of soft, impactless runs in ODIs. At least Amla isn't hyped so much, Kohli is just the cricket version of Rooney....even Beckham stepped up in big matches more often than Super V. 

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

What does 100 times better than Sachin of 1996/2003/2011 WC look like? Would Kohli have scored 67000 runs in 2003 WC? Or would he have smashed McGrath in the final to chase 360 in 12.2 overs? 

Kohli has never come close to matching what Shakib did in 2019 WC. First let him be among top 10 best batsmen of a WC then you can make these big statements. The way things are unravelling for him let us hope he finishes among top 10 Indian run getters in 2023 WC. Now we all know what 37 yo Sachin did the last time WC was in India, right?

Who cares what Shakib did , Shakib plays for a weaker team so he get more overs to play. It does not matter how things unravel for Kohli in future. Kohli when in form is 100 times better than Sachin ever was,Sachin was just a steady eddy who I will not rate even best of his generation forget being better than the best Odi batsman ever. There is reason why Sachin never cracked 900 rating in any format.

World cup is not the only metric to measure greatness. We all saw what great things Sachin did in 2007 world cup when he played at number 4. Openers most of the time get limelight in worldcups.There is noway in hell Sachin was  better odi batsman than Kohli.

Sachin got royally owned by Australia and Ponting twice in 2003 world cup , yet some geniuses make it as if Sachin single handlely won 2003 world cup. Scoring runs against an outdated Pakistani attack ,Akram and Younis were playing their last matches in their careers does not make Sachin greater than Kohli in odis. Kohli flopped big time in 2019 semis ,2015 semi was done and dusted by the time India came to bat.

We will give some cookies to Sachin for scoring runs in league stages of some world cups and 100 against great Kenya in semi final. Nobody blames Sachin for failing in 2003 finals but people need to stop acting as if Sachin won 2003 world cup.

Edited by putrevus
2 hours ago, Gollum said:

One guy owned the competition in 2 WCs which also featured players like Lara, Ponting, Mark Waugh, Hayden, Gilchrist, Jayasuriya, Aravinda, Gibbs, Trescothick, Ganguly, Sehwag, Anwar, Inzi, Andy Flower etc. Then at the end of his career, took his team to the final and narrowly missed out in the runs tally to peak Dilshan. 

Other guy never even close to being the best batsman of his team in any of the WCs (total 3). His last 2 WC KOs in the 2015 and 2019 SFs, should I even talk about then lmao? Kohli's greatest legacy will always be tonking C/D/E team bowlers in Cycle Agarbathi and Bahar Pan Masala dead rubber matches played in Rajkot and Indore. Him and Amla are the undisputed kings of soft, impactless runs in ODIs. At least Amla isn't hyped so much, Kohli is just the cricket version of Rooney....even Beckham stepped up in big matches more often than Super V. 

So Kohli = India's Amla :nod:

Fallen off a cliff like Amla did at the end of his career too.

5 hours ago, The Realist said:

So Kohli = India's Amla :nod:

Fallen off a cliff like Amla did at the end of his career too.

Amla better in tests, what he did in Aus, Eng, Ind in his peak years, closer to ATG status than Kohli. Also Amla in tests was clutch.