Ishan Porel - new fast bowler from India (just 19 year old)

rkt.india

Porel is focused and isn't getting carried away by the buzz he's creating.
Porel is focused and isn't getting carried away by the buzz he's creating. © TNN

For quite a long while now, Ashok Dinda has carried on the charge of Bengal's bowling with phenomenal success, at times supported by others and at times not. With Mohammed Shami's appearances for Bengal being limited ever since he burst on to the scene, no other pacer has quite caught the eye as the upcoming teenager Ishan Porel.

There is already a buzz around him, following his selection in the India Under-19 side for the World Cup in New Zealand next year. Tall and well-built, the speeds he clocks is quite well for a 19-year-old. More importantly, he is a very clever operator, evidenced by the way he set up the dismissals of Priyank Panchal and Ishwar Chaudhary in the ongoing Ranji Trophy quarterfinal clash against Gujarat in Jaipur.

It's quite difficult not to notice him - be it for his built or his bowling. Playing for a team where the leaders - captain Manoj Tiwary and coach Sairaj Bahutule - are sedate, the golden streaks on his hair is a standout feature, and surprisingly coming from the youngest member of the side. There is an obvious attempt to keep him under wraps, away from excessive limelight. Even as praises for his bowling are hard to restrict, it comes up with a word of caution to 'not get carried away'.

Born in Chandannagar, a small town, 50 kms from Kolkata, Porel began his journey at the National Sporting Club in his hometown, before coming to Kolkata six years ago for a camp called 'cricket clinic'. "When we went to the camp, everybody wanted to become a batsman like Sourav Ganguly or Sachin Tendulkar. So even I started batting. But looking at my height, my coach said, I can become a fast bowler instead. After that, I started bowling fast. And since I always liked Dale Steyn and Brett Lee, it became easier for me. I considered them as my idols and went ahead."

Coming from a family of kabaddi players, with his grandfather Subodh Chandra Porel representing India and father Chandranath Porel playing for Bengal, taking sports seriously has become a sort of family tradition. Cricket may have been his first love, but it wasn't the first sport he pursued.

"There was no objection from family as to which sport I pick up. I started off from swimming and table tennis, but I wasn't enjoying those games. When I started playing cricket and started enjoying it, my parents cautioned me. If you pursue another sport and drop off, it won't be good for me.

"But cricket was something I always loved. Even as a kid I used to love watch only cricket and Power Rangers on TV, and invariably would end up fighting a with my mother because she wanted to watch serials."

The confidence that he carries with himself is surprising, maybe a rarity for age-group cricketers, who are often timid and at discomfort while speaking to the press. There is none of that sort with Porel.

As he goes on to explain his journey in the city, which began the 'cricket clinic', there is no break for challenges as it reaches final point so far - the ongoing Ranji Trophy match; not even while he talks about the routine journeys from Chandannagar to Kolkata, and staying away from his family.

He is fixated with his India ambition but has a matured head in place to know the journey is still a long way away. "Everyone's dream is to play senior Indian team, especially play Test cricket. But that is a distant dream. I need to go step by step. First I've to do well in this match, and then the next, and then the next."

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/98899/ranji-trophy-2017-18-bengal-vs-gujarat-cricket-ishan-porel-pacing-ahead

On 11/10/2017 at 7:47 PM, express bowling said:

I like hostile fast bowlers. They put the fear of injury in the minds of opposition batters and help their team gain psychological advantage unless they are spray-guns. 

Srinath was such a quick for around 8 years in the '90s.

Munaf for a couple of years in the mid 2000s.

Aaron, when he gets a chance 

and  Md. Shami among our current quicks.

Ishan Porel may continue this legacy. Other uncapped contenders are Avesh Khan and  Kulwant Khejroliya.

Fast bowling in the pre-speedgun days was all about hostility .... no-one knew what speeds they bowled at but fast bowlers were those who were physically feared by batters.

i saw kulwant's bowling in highlights , he was always under 138k and way slower than saini..though his bouncers did hurry up batsman but speed was never 140k...i guess u need to move munaf and kulwant out of this list...

28 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

i saw kulwant's bowling in highlights , he was always under 138k and way slower than saini..though his bouncers did hurry up batsman but speed was never 140k...i guess u need to move munaf and kulwant out of this list...

Irrespective for what speed guns showed, he to me looked quick and hurried the batsmen. check this

2 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

No .... I was talking about hostile pacers  , that is those who threaten batters physically with steep bounce and zip off the deck.

Khejroliya does it and Munaf did it in his first 2 years.

Moreover, I am sure that KK will cross 140 k under international match speed guns.

8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

No .... I was talking about hostile pacers  , that is those who threaten batters physically with steep bounce and zip off the deck.

Khejroliya does it and Munaf did it in his first 2 years.

Moreover, I am sure that KK will cross 140 k under international match speed guns.

like mcclenaghan or wagner perhaps.