Who has been best Indian test batsman ever on flat pitches and batting friendly conditions?

Who has been best Indian batsman on flat pitches?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is best Indian batsman on flat pitches?

• Sehwag
    • Kohli
    • Dravid
    • SRT
    • Gavaskar

I don’t think by naming a player on this topic makes him an FTB by default.

Playing well and cashing in on flat pitches where every batsman has an equal chance to shine is one thing but Veeru would play knocks on these pitches which would pretty much take the game out of the opposition’s hands and put his team in a winning position . He could make a docile pitch a result oriented one.

For example Jayawardena was excellent at cashing in on flat pitches as well but it helped his stats and covered up for his deficiencies elsewhere...this is where someone like Veeru is a different breed.

In modern times you could say Dave Warner who pretty much does the same on flat pitches as well but he is not as seasoned on other tracks especially slower tracks.

Sehwag. 

And it isn't even close. Sehwag is probably the best ever batsman I've laid eyes on, when the ball is not seaming. Give him everything else- bounce, spin, crumbling pitches - and even a true ATG attack, he will still murder you. 

Its sad though, that he never got his true due, because Sehwag is far better overseas than he is given credit for, where his stats are worse than they should be, due to a combination of him being 'very good but not great by any strech' noticeable drop in performance and him being out of form when he toured overseas-which came few and far between in his career.

he also had the penchant of scoring extremely big knocks extremely quickly - so many of his test 100s are over 150 and at/better run-a-ball. For first time ever, i saw a batsman, who due to his position (opener) and his penchant for humongous runs, made flat pitches daunting for the opposition : India sitting at 300/1 at tea first day meant he gave his bowlers 30-40 extra overs (and the appropriate 100+ extra runs) to work with.

Edited by Muloghonto
14 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Sehwag. 

And it isn't even close. Sehwag is probably the best ever batsman I've laid eyes on, when the ball is not seaming. Give him everything else- bounce, spin, crumbling pitches - and even a true ATG attack, he will still murder you. 

Its sad though, that he never got his true due, because Sehwag is far better overseas than he is given credit for, where his stats are worse than they should be, due to a combination of him being 'very good but not great by any strech' noticeable drop in performance and him being out of form when he toured overseas-which came few and far between in his career.

he also had the penchant of scoring extremely big knocks extremely quickly - so many of his test 100s are over 150 and at/better run-a-ball. For first time ever, i saw a batsman, who due to his position (opener) and his penchant for humongous runs, made flat pitches daunting for the opposition : India sitting at 300/1 at tea first day meant he gave his bowlers 30-40 extra overs (and the appropriate 100+ extra runs) to work with.

Very Poor man's Veeru - i.e. David Warner, is considered a top 5 test bat right now.   That just says it all.  Veeru was a trailblazer.   A genuine freak.  His scoring rate and efficacy in test cricket is Bradmanesque-ally higher than his peers, and all those who came before him.  And that too as an opener.  

Undoubtably Sehwag.... and by a country mile!

When Sehwag was on song, that meant we demoralized opposition on Day 1 itself in the first two sessions. After that, they are just trying to save the match. Greatness of Sehwag lies in the way he scored big daddy hundreds in hardly any time. I remember a time when he has at least 10 consecutive knocks when after reaching a 100, he always passed 150. Bowlers were more thinking about how to stop the run flow rather than how to get wickets.

23 hours ago, sandeep said:

Very Poor man's Veeru - i.e. David Warner, is considered a top 5 test bat right now.   That just says it all.  Veeru was a trailblazer.   A genuine freak.  His scoring rate and efficacy in test cricket is Bradmanesque-ally higher than his peers, and all those who came before him.  And that too as an opener.  

Warner might have started as a poor man's Viru but he surely is lot better than that, he has improved leaps and bounds just like Viru he has his own weaknesses.

Viru should have ended up with at least 30 plus tons .