Ashwin's batting is going downhill

Won't be surprised if we are forced to play 4 quicks, Saffers might just lay green carpets (like NZ 2002). If I were Kohli I would start instructing Vijay and  Dhawan to start practicing some spin bowling, mainly to address possible over rate concerns and give breather to the quicks. 

7 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Ashwin is a no.8 batsman at best no.7.  Only very few are ready for such conversions. Treat his runs as bonus. Gilchrist always told that his runs are bonus for his team. That is why he was successful. Same way Ashwin's runs should be treated as bonus. Don't put him a scenario where team depends on his batting skill.

Add to that, Jadeja has much better first class record when compared to Ashwin.And he is a left hander too which adds flexibility to the line up.

16 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

They are trying to create an illusion that India has a long batting line up by putting a tailender in between. In all fairness Saha is no Sangakkara or Gilchrist not even Nayan Mongia. At best Kiran more. 

No I agree Saha doesnt inspire confidence. But he has played some gritty knocks for us in recent times. The point is if you are playing Ashwin above Saha, then it's time to get a new wicketkeeper.

Edited by Laaloo
16 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

They are trying to create an illusion that India has a long batting line up by putting a tailender in between. In all fairness Saha is no Sangakkara or Gilchrist not even Nayan Mongia. At best Kiran more. 

You gotta be joking Mongia was a self serving, selfish player, keeping was ok, batting was poor, Saha is a class above him in batting easily n keeping also better then him.

On 11/26/2017 at 11:57 AM, vvvslaxman said:

saha is a better bat than both mongia and more. since he got a steady place in the squad, he has done well. over the past 1.5 yrs, I think he has avg 40+

On 20/11/2017 at 9:56 PM, putrevus said:

They will keep sweeping Jadeja, while I agree Ashwin takes time to get into rhythm . I don't think guy like Ashwin should be just chucked out. He is that good and he has earned the right to be lead spinner. There are lot of lefties in SA line up and that is big plus in favor of Ashwin.

South Africa has 2 lhb in top 7 .

Their entire middle order (3-6) are right handers who will face spin the most.

On 11/20/2017 at 9:56 PM, putrevus said:

They will keep sweeping Jadeja, while I agree Ashwin takes time to get into rhythm . I don't think guy like Ashwin should be just chucked out. He is that good and he has earned the right to be lead spinner. There are lot of lefties in SA line up and that is big plus in favor of Ashwin.

Jadeja is very difficult bowler to sweep due to his trajectory and pace. in last 1-2 years Jadeja has been better than Ashwin at home and has performed better on flatter tracks in India.

2 hours ago, SK_IH said:

i am pretty sure ashwin's batting will be exposed in the upcoming overseas tour,he likes playing on the up , slips will be kept busy and dont know how he will fare against short bowling , he will be slightly better than anil kumble i think 

Dunno about SA but I think he will bat well in Eng and Aus based on our previous tours there. He also looked good in county cricket, much better than Pujara in fact.

19 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Dunno about SA but I think he will bat well in Eng and Aus based on our previous tours there. He also looked good in county cricket, much better than Pujara in fact.

am not too sure about this,point is we shouldnt be depending on him to score runs, anything should be a bonus

20 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

am not too sure about this,point is we shouldnt be depending on him to score runs, anything should be a bonus

how it is a bonus? He is considered an alrounder and is given a responsibility to bat at 6. So, we should expect him to score runs. Top bowling alrounders in world cricket has averaged in early to mid 30s. He does the same. 

Edited by rkt.india