Vijay Shankar (Batting Pacer Allrounder) - Performance Watch thread

5 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Very good first hand perspective of what goes through the mind of a player who bats for the first time. Karthik's gesture is phenomenal. What a team player. Always unselfish. 

Yes it was great to read into the mind of a cricketer suddenly in pressure at top level. How he reacts from this will make or break him. He is doing the first steps right - he is acknowledging the pressure and talking freely about it. Problem is that Such intense atmosphere and pressure filled failure can cause PTSD kind of reaction in future also. The mind sub-consciously imbibes this and this reaction can surface next time there is pressure. 

I hope he remembers his 4 with 9 needed. It was a very smart and important moment. Without it Karthik would not have anything left to salvage. 

What a mess created by him and pandey. 

It reminds me world cup final and yuvraj sing performance. It seems like an out of world energy trying to stop him. 

So many blunders 

1 sending Pandey before dk

2 sending Shankar before dk

3 pandey and Shankar both not playing sr of 130.

4 musta was bowling to Shankar and Shankar was trying to slog

It is like a whole universe trying to make india lose. 

DK was the ONE saved india. 

On 20/03/2018 at 12:47 PM, Suhaan said:

They are doing it ..by the way  trolling has been your praxis, constantly blether here about Ind and you preach me not to bring pakistan into it when you first started it

Pakistan is currently a mediocre side, and the less said about or coaches and the domestic system the better. 

Im saying despite India having the best cricketing facilities in the world they are yet to dominate world cricket (which they aren’t) or produce a fast bowler that’s worthy of being mentioned in the same page as the likes of Marshall, McGrath, Waz etc.

14 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

He hit a crucial four though. WHen he tries to play normal shots he does well. He tried to slog out of nervousness. WHen you are nervous you cannot pick slower ones. The one that he hit for 4 was a yorker.  Pretty good placement.  He has so many matches in IPL to prove himself.

i appreciate your gesture and even few of the experts here that they are very positive and encouraging.

we can definitely say he is good enuf to play ranji cricket and for state teams..he has some major temperament issue for international cricket.

there are some guys who are born for international cricket as they go ahead and take MOM in the first match or bowl so well that one can easily see that they have are some thing in them , only those guys Stick in international cricket, strugglers try hard and then they are thrown...

like bumrah...when he played the first odi and first t20, we knew  he belonged to international cricket.

even when Umesh and shammi played in their first matches- opposition came to know about them as some talent.

even our bhuvi..- he did some swing magic and was a threat and we knew he is going to stay in international cricket.

if tomorrow vijay shankar is not picked , no one is going to say anything , his achievement has been as good as NILL..no note worthy bowling performance , no batting performance.

we all know washington is going to STAY put...chahal and kuldeep are going to stay put.

like kedar jadhav he is very very talented but i bet he is also kinda failing and is about to the thrown out.

even dinesh karthik,wv raman, wasim jaffer and many more have been big Successes in domestic cricket, some domestic players can bet that they are /were as good as KOHLi /Sachin /dravid/ganguly/vvs, there was a talk that Atul bedade was the biggest hitter in domestic cricket and i have seen the hitting of yusuf pathan with my own eyes, best of Dhoni's hits are much slower than the hits yusuf did...i mean to say that yusuf pathan was more talented than MSD but DID he suceed that BIG...NO...So its temperament, skills,talent,application. if yusuf is batting , i wud prefer to field in the boundary and not stand in gully or close by as there is a serious chance of being hit...i saw his hits in some IPL matches, lightening hits.we saw the ball crossing the boundary as soon as bat hit, where as we could easily trace the hits made by other batsman including DHONI.

had i been a selector , i would have given yusuf a bigger rope than yuvraj.yusuf pathan is /was more powerful then chris gayle.

karthik was always as much talented as he is today but now he possibly he is more cool n comfortable thats why he is cashing in his limited opportunities...what i wanna say is INternational CLASS is automatically visible and they are shade better than these domestic class, rishi dhawan/vijay shankar/binny are domestic pace all rounder and hardik pandya is international class.

i am sayin even when hardik has hardly scored much in international cricket but he has shown match winning sparks which have been game changing, scoring 18 runs in an over is also game changing and some times better than scoring a 50 off 70 balls as matches are won when you outscore the other team and international class guys outscore....

i think vijay's present will be domestic cricket and past few international games..i was also excited about him , he did get wickets but i was not impressed with his bowling and then was shocked to see his rubbish batting as i liked his batting in a domestic game once , where bowling was not too impressive.

41 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

I am not saying he will be a sure shot success. All I am saying it can happen to anyone. He has played some clutch innings for his domestic team. This is not even that good a bowling attack. Pure nerves. Remember how Rohit Sharma was nervous in the CT final after 170 odd games. This is his first outing.  Rule him out after just one match is very very harsh. 

I am one of those who always backed Shankar the batsman...I think his bowling is a value add maybe good enough for 3-4 overs or maybe 6-7 on a good day. I think Binny is a far better bowler than him to be honest.

However I thought he has a lot of batting talent.

I still think he deserves a few more games before making a decision on his career.

as you said facing Fizz in your first match might have been a challenge and we can use the first international game excuse to give him the benefit out doubt . However he is a 27 year old guy and not a 18 year old which means the rope will be shorter than say a Sundar or even guys like Pant and Siraj if they ever get a 2nd look. The most worrisome part for me was a little lack of cricket acumen and awareness on his part, once he was not able to connect, he should have bunted and ran to give the other batsman the strike.He kept swinging across the line and the more he missed the more antsy he got.

Look at how composed a Sundar or even a Bumrah was in their first game....Even someone like Pandya whom I still think should either own the spot of a batsman or a bowler soon before time runs out looked like he was not overawed and looked confident(in his case a tad overconfident).

Guys like Pathan,Dhoni(in his 2nd game), Rohit in 2007-2008, Kohli,Raina, Bhuvi, Shami,Yuvi all looked like they had that awareness and belonged at this level from game 1.

Dhawan was the only guy I can recollect who looked like deer in headlights in his first few games but came back strong.

Probably the worst I can recall is Sridharan Sriram against Same Bangladesh team. He was just stuck and nervy so bad that he took off for a run after keeper collected the ball. You probably wonder what is big deal there. The big deal was keeper was standing up for a spinner. He went halfway down. The funny part was, he blamed the non-striker.

8 hours ago, Ellipsism said:

Pakistan is currently a mediocre side, and the less said about or coaches and the domestic system the better. 

Im saying despite India having the best cricketing facilities in the world they are yet to dominate world cricket (which they aren’t) or produce a fast bowler that’s worthy of being mentioned in the same page as the likes of Marshall, McGrath, Waz etc.

In the history of the game ,we have witnessed only two teams who have dominated the world .. barring those two the only nation that has done extremely well is Team India ,they have played good cricket for a longer period .They have been two times WC champ.I think the definition of dominance has slightly changed in recent years..not the kind of bulldozing we see from any particular team ..Fast bowling had been the Achilles heels for us not that we didnt have few..but slowly and steadily things have changed and the results are discernible..

3 hours ago, Suhaan said:

In the history of the game ,we have witnessed only two teams who have dominated the world .. barring those two the only nation that has done extremely well is Team India ,they have played good cricket for a longer period .They have been two times WC champ.I think the definition of dominance has slightly changed in recent years..not the kind of bulldozing we see from any particular team ..Fast bowling had been the Achilles heels for us not that we didnt have few..but slowly and steadily things have changed and the results are discernible..

Lol I can’t be arsed.