Vijay Shankar (Batting Pacer Allrounder) - Performance Watch thread

16 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Not conviced. Haven't seen his batting much. He played poorly in the Nidahas trophy final until DK saved his butt. He seems to have a good technique. I'm not convinced of his lower order hitting capabilities.

His bowling is total sh1t. He's a 125k trundler and cant even bowl line and length. He's a seamer version of Jadhav but Jadhav at least bats well. I don't think he's worth picking him for the WC squad. But then again, who cares about my opinion :laugh:

Guess he is a batsman. Not too sure if he is asked to bowl even in his domestic team.

I want him to be given a chance in the test team, ahead of Rahane. His bowling is still a work in progress but he can be molded into a proper 5th/6th(!!!) bowler in tests, keep both Pandya and Shankar in the fray. 

Not convinced by Shankar the white ball player yet. 

Edited by Gollum

In WI play:

Shaw

Mayank (KL as backup)

Che

Kohli

Shankar

Pant

Pandya

Ashwin/Jadeja/Kuldeep/Bhuvi (pitch dependent)

Ashwin/Jadeja/Kuldeep/Bhuvi

Shami/Ishant

Bumrah

That will give us 6 bowling options and a solid, deep batting order right up to number 8/9 depending on whether we play Jaddu/Ashwin/Bhuvi.

Edited by Gollum

Batted well today coming in when the team was in trouble. Not a big innings but at least he helped stop the collapse along with Rayudu with that partnership. Deserves some applause for the 45 runs. Have to ignore his sr of 70.31 as the strike rate did not matter at that point. Anyone with sr over 70 after being 18/4 seems to be acceptable imo. 

As a bowler he bowls maximum 4 overs spell and does not do much bowling later over the course of match. Only if he bowls more overs, he is going to bowl better. Will remain a weak link 6th bowling option until then. Can be used if one of the 5 main bowlers get injured and is unable to complete his spell. 

His T20i batting needs to be tested though after that epic flop where he could not even get bat on ball. That too against Bangladesh. 

He needs to be selected in all IPL matches by his franchisee. He was dropped for some matches last IPL which has not helped him much. We can expect him to be played in all matches this IPL and observe if he has a good IPL.

2 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Decent innings today having scored 27 runs of 18 balls. Batted at 3. Is TM thinking highly of him as a batsman? Probably watching him in nets and taking that move. Seems he proved the TM right today.

Seems like a proper bat but calling him an allrounder is pushing it.

I think this kind of guy was needed at no 6 in tests in SENA countries . He surely is better batsman than Pandya and all Pandya was doing in tests in bowl 10 or 12 overs which this guy could do easily.I doubt he will be around till next SENA trip.

That is problem with these guys at Shankar is 28 and Pandya 25, I don't think  either of them will be around in four years.Where were these two 4 years ago.

ODIs and T20s he is not worth it.

1 hour ago, WeStMiDz said:

Seems very stiff and upright as a batsman. Not the most attractive on the eye but looks like he is slowly warming to international cricket. 

Agree. Have not seen him play a shot through covers/point yet.. Been mostly straight or through mid-wicket.. 

Solid bat, but range seems limited for now.. Will improve with experience.

11 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I think this kind of guy was needed at no 6 in tests in SENA countries . He surely is better batsman than Pandya and all Pandya was doing in tests in bowl 10 or 12 overs which this guy could do easily.I doubt he will be around till next SENA trip.

That is problem with these guys at Shankar is 28 and Pandya 25, I don't think  either of them will be around in four years.Where were these two 4 years ago.

ODIs and T20s he is not worth it.

T20s surely not worth it.. I wouldn't rule out ODIs for him..

For Tests, he makes sense.. should be tried against WI/Zim before SENA..  The problem with Pandya in Tests is he is neither fully accountable as a bowler or a batsman.. He role is loosely defined.. With Shankar, treat him as a batsman, who can bowl a few overs to give the top 4 a break.