kapil dev hundred south africa 1992 - Anyone have Video of this game you could upload

Yantra

On 19/12/2017 at 5:10 PM, Yantra said:

This was one of the best batting display from Kapil against Donald and company, India was in trouble with All top 5 wickets gone single figures including Sachin, Azhar, Shashtri, Manju, it will be great tribute to Kapil and those who are young generation would understand why we admire Kapil so much truly best all rounder world has ever seen, no question about it.

You are Kapil's agent and want to send it to Hardik Pandya?:phehe:

On 1/19/2018 at 1:36 PM, zen said:

That was an amazing 100 by Kapil, one of the few batsmen who could do well in most conditions. As I keep saying, should have ended up with a test avg of 40 if he made a little more effort

he was a big underachiever with the bat. had he applied himself like shastri did (given that shastri had about 1/2 the talent), he could have easily avg in the low 40s.

There was no telecast of that zimbabwe match on television. How do we intend to get a recording of that innings? You mean, you are looking for someone who personally recorded the innings on a video camera? Dont think video camera was that common then and as far as I know, iPhone wasnt available either.

On 1/19/2018 at 1:24 PM, Straight Drive said:

Ajinkya Rahane got coached by Amre.

He's one name among many.   Amre is the batting technique Doctor, that pretty much all the top batsmen in India seek out, when they want to work on their batting at a serious level.    

6 hours ago, Vijy said:

he was a big underachiever with the bat. had he applied himself like shastri did (given that shastri had about 1/2 the talent), he could have easily avg in the low 40s.

He never saw himself as a batsman but a bowler whose job was to take wickets and leading an attack where he had no support for virtually entire career was exhausting. Indian team batting also was very weak even at home those days.

Unlike during Sachin's era where India was dominant at home and Kapil's era batting was also weak even at home.

That is one of main reasons he under achieved with bat.

On 20/12/2017 at 7:35 AM, maniac said:

I remember the odi series....didn’t catch much of the test matches...it was the early days of cable tv in India.

I remember WV Raman’s 100(I think only Match we won),Kapil Dev’s mankanding incident a.............

Kapil had warned the SA batsmen a few times before he finally Mankaded one- those b@stards were backing up so much, one could barely believe it. 

Then- an this is an incident I won't forget.  On Kapils' next (IIRC) ball Kepler Wessels went for a single, and hit Kapil in the shins with his bat in retaliation, just as he ran past him.  It was so quick,  Wessels got away with it.

No one did a goddamned thing about it.  That memory is burnt into my consciousness as the classic example of the meek and submissive Indian abroad.  

MC Wessels, I swear to god, if I ever get the chance, he'd feel it back...

On 20/12/2017 at 8:38 AM, sandeep said:

There's a reason why Amre is consdered pretty much the best batting coach in the business today.  He was Dravid before there was a Dravid.  A bit unlucky not to have a longer career. 

It's a travesty to compare Amre even in passing to Dravid.  Amre had a great start and he was a competent bat, but often he wasn't able to get the ball of the square,  couldn't force the pace even for those times.

Amre was probably entitled to complain that he was hard done by, but I feel it isn't that much of an injustice.

Off the playing eleven (this is from memory, I haven't looked at the records) in Tests, at the time the struggle was more to find your openers (Prabhakar/  Sidhu/ Rathore etc). 

Amre wasn't considered opener material (I'd agree), so he was out of the running for 1/2.  # 3 also wasn't his forte- perhaps he could have been tried here, but I'm not sure.

That left 8 slots.  Of these he wasn't going to be considered for 5 positions (4 bowlers and one keeper).  Which then left 3 slots.

Of these 3, 2 slots were taken - SRT and Azhar.

Competition for that one remaining slot came from the likes of Manjerekar, a floating Kambli (who as also considered for #3), Jadeja etc.  I think Amre lost in comparison to these guys, at least in the selector's eyes.

So, yeah he was unfortunate but not by that much.  Plus after that SA innings, he didn't exactly set the world on fire.

The argument became moot, and his chances vanished by mid 1996 with the emergence of Dravid and Ganguly.  That remaining slot also disappeared.

Ironically he got a longer run in ODIs, but again his stodgy style of playing didn't do him any favours.

I don't doubt he's a highly regarded coach.  Incidentally he too was one of Achrekar's boys.

Edited by NameGoesHere
36 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

Kapil had warned the SA batsmen a few times before he finally Mankaded one- those b@stards were backing up so much, one could barely believe it. 

Then- an this is an incident I won't forget.  On Kapils' next (IIRC) ball Kepler Wessels went for a single, and hit Kapil in the shins with his bat in retaliation, just as he ran past him.  It was so quick,  Wessels got away with it.

No one did a goddamned thing about it.  That memory is burnt into my consciousness as the classic example of the meek and submissive Indian abroad.  

MC Wessels, I swear to god, if I ever get the chance, he'd feel it back...

It's a travesty to compare Amre even in passing to Dravid.  Amre had a great start and he was a competent bat, but often he wasn't able to get the ball of the square,  couldn't force the pace even for those times.

Amre was probably entitled to complain that he was hard done by, but I feel it isn't that much of an injustice.

Off the playing eleven (this is from memory, I haven't looked at the records) in Tests, at the time the struggle was more to find your openers (Prabhakar/  Sidhu/ Rathore etc). 

Amre wasn't considered opener material (I'd agree), so he was out of the running for 1/2.  # 3 also wasn't his forte- perhaps he could have been tried here, but I'm not sure.

That left 8 slots.  Of these he wasn't going to be considered for 5 positions (4 bowlers and one keeper).  Which then left 3 slots.

Of these 3, 2 slots were taken - SRT and Azhar.

Competition for that one remaining slot came from the likes of Manjerekar, a floating Kambli (who as also considered for #3), Jadeja etc.  I think Amre lost in comparison to these guys, at least in the selector's eyes.

So, yeah he was unfortunate but not by that much.  Plus after that SA innings, he didn't exactly set the world on fire.

The argument became moot, and his chances vanished by mid 1996 with the emergence of Dravid and Ganguly.  That remaining slot also disappeared.

Ironically he got a longer run in ODIs, but again his stodgy style of playing didn't do him any favours.

I don't doubt he's a highly regarded coach.  Incidentally he too was one of Achrekar's boys.

Also amazing how South African behavior towards Indians has slowly changed over the years

from that disgraceful behavior by wessels etc on 92 tour + sledging  

to

the 96 tour where some of the banners in the test matches were  to term mildly not “politically correct” variations of Indian players names+ Donald thinking that it is his birth right to not get hit for a 6

to

the 2001 tour with the whole ball tampering saga happened 

to 

2007 where only Andre Nel was the only clown going over the top which was still a vast improvement 

to the last few series where the game was played in good spirit for the most part...the whole Elgar thing is nothing in comparison...clearly South Africans especially the white ones have mellowed down may  be due to the changing social and political climate.

I also remember in 1996 tour to India when Symcox was batting with someone(don’t remember) and they were speaking in Afrikaans to each other and Robin Jackman or was it Mike Haysman on commentary said that he couldn’t translate that on commentary because it was really  that offensive(he said that in a laughing tone)...they were clearly abusing Indians.

1 hour ago, NameGoesHere said:

Nobody's claiming that Amre would have matched Dravid's eventual accomplishments.  You clearly have strong feelings about Dravid.  So maybe your memory has a few gaps regarding his struggles in the early part of his career, where Dravid himself "couldn't get the ball off the square" against quality teams like Aus.  His 'stodgy' batting in ODIs (around 50 SR) saw him dropped.  The only way back to the ODI team for him was if he played as a wicket-keeper.  And In fact, Dravid was struggling a bit even in test cricket against Aus, both home and away, that Coach John Wright demoted him from #3 to #6 in that famous Kolkata follow-on 2nd innings.  If Dravid had not come through with that 180, its even possible that he may have lost his middle-order spot, and never got the opportunity to redeem himself so spectacularly in the 2003 tour to Australia.  Or have the major career that he did.  

It may be easy to write off Amre based on the short career numbers that he put up.  But from a batting ability and temperament perspective, he is eminently comparable to Dravid.   And that shouldn't be read as some type of knock on Dravid, even by loyal fanbois.  

A lot of old school cricket fans compare the likes of Padmakar Shivalkar, Gupte etc to the famed Indian spin quarter of Bedi, Chandra, Prasanna and Venkatraghavan.   And Shivalkar and Gupte hardly had any test career or numbers to speak of.  Statistics are not a pre-requisite for comparisons.  

Aside from your unnecessary rant defending Dravid, I enjoyed the rest of your post.  Post more often buddy!

9 hours ago, Vijy said:

Might be Kapil was an underachiver considering the batting  talent he possessed .But what Kapil actually achieved with the bat must not be analysed by mere avg: alone.Firstly that avg: & str: rate took a beating because of longevity.Secondly , just like an opener's avg: & str: can't be compared to that of a 2nd down batsman with out the context into account,so is Kapil's figures.On another note, the avg: of a 6th position batsman  can't be compared to that of a higher middle order batsman by plain averages alone.This because a 6th position batsman do not get that much chances as that of higher order batsman to maintain high avg: .Not only that, he more often  would have to score runs in the company of unreliable lower order batsmen.For instance take VVS Laxman .We  can't expect Laxman to maintain an avg: like that of Sachin or Dravid.Like wise Kapil's batting avg:, apart from longevity need to be evaluated from the point of view of having to bat a lot along with lower order batsmen with vitually nonexistant batting technique.That is where his huge str: rate of 80.91 comes into play.Kapil  on a lot of occasions single handedly did all the scoring in the company of tail enders.This is a hugely under rated batting expertise.With middle order batsmen, you have other reliable batsmen to make for your out of form moments so that you can feed off them to regain your touch and come back to scoring ways.

But with Kapil that was not the case on lot more of occasions.

The problem is in the 90s we played a lot of

odi cricket and lot less test matches and in those days test performances would get you a odi cap and vice versa....Amre was not a very good odi player and his failures in Odis resulted in him being dropped from tests.

Same with Kambli to a certain extent even though Kambli did have personal demons to blame for his downfall.

I will respond to just this part of your quote

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

It may be easy to write off Amre based on the short career numbers that he put up.  But from a batting ability and temperament perspective, he is eminently comparable to Dravid.   

Batting ability?

Not. A. Chance.

Thanks for your comments at the end.

Edited by NameGoesHere
On 2/5/2018 at 12:55 PM, sandeep said:

Nobody's claiming that Amre would have matched Dravid's eventual accomplishments.  You clearly have strong feelings about Dravid.  So maybe your memory has a few gaps regarding his struggles in the early part of his career, where Dravid himself "couldn't get the ball off the square" against quality teams like Aus.  His 'stodgy' batting in ODIs (around 50 SR) saw him dropped.  The only way back to the ODI team for him was if he played as a wicket-keeper.  And In fact, Dravid was struggling a bit even in test cricket against Aus, both home and away, that Coach John Wright demoted him from #3 to #6 in that famous Kolkata follow-on 2nd innings.  If Dravid had not come through with that 180, its even possible that he may have lost his middle-order spot, and never got the opportunity to redeem himself so spectacularly in the 2003 tour to Australia.  Or have the major career that he did.  

It may be easy to write off Amre based on the short career numbers that he put up.  But from a batting ability and temperament perspective, he is eminently comparable to Dravid.   And that shouldn't be read as some type of knock on Dravid, even by loyal fanbois.  

A lot of old school cricket fans compare the likes of Padmakar Shivalkar, Gupte etc to the famed Indian spin quarter of Bedi, Chandra, Prasanna and Venkatraghavan.   And Shivalkar and Gupte hardly had any test career or numbers to speak of.  Statistics are not a pre-requisite for comparisons.  

Aside from your unnecessary rant defending Dravid, I enjoyed the rest of your post.  Post more often buddy!

I think that Amre deserved many more opportunities in Tests. Although you are correct in noting that Dravid was not a good ODI player when he started, he wasn't particularly bad either - he was just average, and also a slow scorer. Although Amre did not get enough opportunities, I'd still say that Dravid was a somewhat better ODI bat (which isn't saying much) than Amre even if we take them at similar stages in their careers (i.e. first 40 ODIs or so). Dravid avgd 28 in 1996 (his debut) and 40 in 1997 - albeit with low SRs.

Just now, Vijy said:

I think that Amre deserved many more opportunities in Tests. Although you are correct in noting that Dravid was not a good ODI player when he started, he wasn't particularly bad either - he was just average, and also a slow scorer. Although Amre did not get enough opportunities, I'd still say that Dravid was a somewhat better ODI bat (which isn't saying much) than Amre even if we take them at similar stages in their careers (i.e. first 40 ODIs or so). Dravid avgd 28 in 1996 (his debut) and 40 in 1997 - albeit with low SRs.

I did not mean to bash Dravid at all there - just defending my claim that an Amre is eminently comparable to an early career Dravid.   Which Fanboi found a bit too difficult to stomach.   Have a lot of love for Dravid, and clearly, his career shows that his ceiling was eventually much higher than Amre's.   

14 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I did not mean to bash Dravid at all there - just defending my claim that an Amre is eminently comparable to an early career Dravid.   Which Fanboi found a bit too difficult to stomach.   Have a lot of love for Dravid, and clearly, his career shows that his ceiling was eventually much higher than Amre's.   

Of course, I understand what you were getting at. Given the Ind team of the 90s, I find it quite bizarre that Amre didn't get many more opportunities in Tests. the no. of players who avg over 40 prior to Gang-Dravid was less than 5 - can only think of Azhar, Sidhu and SRT (and Kambli in a few Tests). Hence, even on statistical grounds, it's weird that he was not given a longer rope.