Why Should Hindi be/not be national language of India?

sarcastic

5 hours ago, someone said:

You are missing the point. It's not English vs Hindi. Your own Indian language itself has a big advantage international and even locally. For local, with Hindi as the common language, it makes total sense to learn it for everybody. Why put your career at disadvantage just to earn some political points? Protesting against Hindi, to bring the Aryan/Dravidian divide & bash North Indians is plain stupid.

I will say, let everyone learn some spoken Hindi that makes it easier for basic communication between every Indian (particularly when outsiders are around). Having said that, it is in the best interest of all Indians to learn English (reading and writing) so that we can get employment in and outside the country. Hindi should not or will never replace English but will always be there as a substitute just in case. I feel so easy speaking to other Desi folks in Hindi but often speak in English for better comprehension as and when needed.  

8 hours ago, someone said:

You are missing the point. It's not English vs Hindi. Your own Indian language itself has a big advantage international and even locally. For local, with Hindi as the common language, it makes total sense to learn it for everybody. Why put your career at disadvantage just to earn some political points? Protesting against Hindi, to bring the Aryan/Dravidian divide & bash North Indians is plain stupid.

Not really. It makes no sense whatsoever. What that will eventually lead to is southern states having to learn three languages and that will lead to less importance of regional languages which are actually much more important than Hindi. This is nothing but the hegemony of the Hindiwadis at work if people think there is no agenda behind spreading Hindi across the country. 

9 hours ago, someone said:

What advantage are you talking about? You have mentioned that its an advantage quiet a few times, but not able to describe what the advantage is.

So, let me ask you again. What is the advantage?

4 hours ago, sarcastic said:

I will say, let everyone learn some spoken Hindi that makes it easier for basic communication between every Indian (particularly when outsiders are around). Having said that, it is in the best interest of all Indians to learn English (reading and writing) so that we can get employment in and outside the country. Hindi should not or will never replace English but will always be there as a substitute just in case. I feel so easy speaking to other Desi folks in Hindi but often speak in English for better comprehension as and when needed.  

If English is required for better comprehension, I'm guessing it good enough for basic communication also. So why bother with Hindi?

19 minutes ago, cricketrulez said:

If English is required for better comprehension, I'm guessing it good enough for basic communication also. So why bother with Hindi?

Yes, I will not say that Hindi is required. And I 100% agree that it should not be forced upon or imposed upon anyone to learn Hindi too. Government should NOT put 1 penny of tax money in that direction (i.e. enforcing Hindi).

Having said that, it is good to have another language of communication as another option. People do learn many European languages such as Spanish, French, German etc. Ppl can learn Hindi as an alternative and is good for enjoying Bollywood movies and for certain purposes. 

This may be trivial from general purpose. But when I saw Kohli (a Northie) and Hardik (a Gujju) are batting together and communicating/discussing strategy with each other on the field even loudly, I felt the advantage that they had as the saffers had no idea what is going there. This would not be the case if that is not the case. 

Like I say, it is advantageous to have a common language among Indians that is not comprehensible by every other person. But let it happen naturally and not force upon anyone. 

On 5/4/2018 at 11:29 PM, sarcastic said:

Yes, I will not say that Hindi is required. And I 100% agree that it should not be forced upon or imposed upon anyone to learn Hindi too. Government should NOT put 1 penny of tax money in that direction (i.e. enforcing Hindi).

Having said that, it is good to have another language of communication as another option. People do learn many European languages such as Spanish, French, German etc. Ppl can learn Hindi as an alternative and is good for enjoying Bollywood movies and for certain purposes. 

This may be trivial from general purpose. But when I saw Kohli (a Northie) and Hardik (a Gujju) are batting together and communicating/discussing strategy with each other on the field even loudly, I felt the advantage that they had as the saffers had no idea what is going there. This would not be the case if that is not the case. 

Like I say, it is advantageous to have a common language among Indians that is not comprehensible by every other person. But let it happen naturally and not force upon anyone. 

I disagree with the bolded part but agree with the rest of your post. Why are Australians so good when they speak English that everyone knows (maybe their accent is different). Is it that secretive to say "give me the strike. ill take care of it" in a different language other than english. And i dont think other teams can understand our english because of our accents.

Maybe we should play cricket for the team like the Australians and not for yourself like some of our players :phehe:. That will be more advantageous than learning hindi.

On 1/12/2018 at 8:19 AM, coffee_rules said:

It is a regional language like Kannada, Tamil, Gujarati, Marathi. Just because it is spoken predominantly in 4 states doesn't make it a national language.

You know, french is spoken predominantly in only one province in canada yet canadians decided to add french as a national language along side english. Unity within a country is important.

20 minutes ago, Zero_Unit said:

You know, french is spoken predominantly in only one province in canada yet canadians decided to add french as a national language along side english. Unity within a country is important.

Yes, we have what we call official languages. All these regional languages are included as part of Constitution so they are official, but not a national language.

There is no unity in India. People are divided along castes, religion, region, language, water, etc. That's why Hindi cannot be national language. There are many coconuts who always believe their religion or language or caste is in danger even if it's not the case 99%of the times..

On 1/12/2018 at 7:33 AM, someone said:

Wrong. Diversity actually means you should be open to new things. So this hostility/intolerance against Hindi is plain politics.

A Hindu has no problems going to a other religious places, similarly a Tamil should have no problem learning Hindi.  And this Hindi is the most important language in the country, thus makes all sense to be the national language.

Why would hindi speaking folks not learn other languages? Your response assume supremacy of Hindi which has no basis. Hindi is not the most important language. If a Tamilian has to learn Hindi then so do you need to learn Tamil.

I only respond to people in English in my state and if then speak in Hindi I make it a point to speak in my mother tongue. It gives me great pleasure to force them to switch to English once I drill it into their head that if they work in my state either they learn English or the vernacular. I have no need to learn Hindi to be serviced by bank govt officials or at airports.

11 hours ago, straighttalk said:

Why would hindi speaking folks not learn other languages? Your response assume supremacy of Hindi which has no basis. Hindi is not the most important language. If a Tamilian has to learn Hindi then so do you need to learn Tamil.

I only respond to people in English in my state and if then speak in Hindi I make it a point to speak in my mother tongue. It gives me great pleasure to force them to switch to English once I drill it into their head that if they work in my state either they learn English or the vernacular. I have no need to learn Hindi to be serviced by bank govt officials or at airports.

17 hours ago, Lannister said:

I am sure many people would consider it inferior to their native languages. So why waste time on something which has no appeal whatsoever. 

This Hindi stuff is myth. Which state has Hindi as native, Northies have Maithili Awawadhi, Braj, Punjabi, lathh maar Hariyanavi,Bundeli, Malawi, Bagheli, Gujrati, Marwari ,Assmese, Bengali, Odiya Marathi and so on. 

Just that Northies don’t get their nipples twisted at Hindi and don’t mind local language taking back seat for sake of communication.

So no, people don’t consider Hindi Inferior to any dialect. Its fact that more can be achieved in personnel/professional  life by learning Hindi and English. I can guarantee, if their is no politics at play, people will strive to learn both Hindi and English. Plain and simple

Edited by mishra

1 hour ago, mishra said:

This Hindi stuff is myth. Which state has Hindi as native, Northies have Maithili Awawadhi, Braj, Punjabi, lathh maar Hariyanavi,Bundeli, Malawi, Bagheli, Gujrati, Marwari ,Assmese, Bengali, Odiya Marathi and so on. 

Just that Northies don’t get their nipples twisted at Hindi and don’t mind local language taking back seat for sake of communication.

Just because you spit on your mother tongue, do you expect the same from others? 

Southern states have chosen English as their common language. So get on with it. We'd rather give preference to our own language. 

37 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Just because you spit on your mother tongue, do you expect the same from others? 

Southern states have chosen English as their common language. So get on with it. We'd rather give preference to our own language. 

Isnt that spitting?

Who says you speak in Pashto or Mandarin at home? Northies speak all those languages at home or when they can. They are not against English either.

But question is.

Why English as common laguage though? Why not Kannada as common language? What is true reason for opposing Hindi other then somehow working on soft narative of Tukde Tukade Gang? Do you think, If Hindi belt guys were properly informed about the pains of Tamils, they would have let MMS/Soniaji do this so easy. Just like other factors Its lack of communication/information and created confusion which let this happen. Courtesy Late Shri Shri RK Laxman

_80528035_a188c38c-dc3a-4ccc-989e-93b1fa

34 minutes ago, mishra said:

Who says you speak in Pashto or Mandarin at home? Northies speak all those languages at home or when they can. They are not against English either.

But question is.

They are when South Indians choose English over Hindi. :lol:

38 minutes ago, mishra said:

Why English as common laguage though? Why not Kannada as common language?

If Hindi is not your native tongue like you've said, then why did you choose it as a common language? Why not Urdu? As for as I know, both are almost same language. 

51 minutes ago, Lannister said:

They are when South Indians choose English over Hindi. :lol:

If Hindi is not your native tongue like you've said, then why did you choose it as a common language? Why not Urdu? As for as I know, both are almost same language. 

Easy to learn and speak :dontknow: Northies find English relatively difficult, Still they try to learn and every parent tries to send his kid in a English medium school.

But as I said, Switching to Hindi comes easier then English.

But you are missing the point. Issues like the one I mentioned about Tamil Genocide can not have been done by MMS/Soania/Delhi If Southie authors and people had reach to North Indian people,local news papers, media, businesses and politician. They simply did it because they could afford that. And yes, How many Kannada, Telugu,Mallu opposed that. English simply failed Tamilian issue.

Edited by mishra