Feel for Ashwin

Gollum

Disregarding the dropped catches, Ashwin has been very unlucky in this match in general

the Saffers have looked hopeless against him, have been riding on unbelievable luck

as usual in hindsight, had Jadeja been there, the pressure from sides of the pitch would have wrecked havoc

also suprised Kohli not throw the ball to Rohit or Murli for couple of overs 

7 minutes ago, Khota said:

Ashwin does not belong in any team. test or other. There are three spinners better than this overweight fat player.

So 6 catches are dropped of his bowling and he is the culprit. Next 6 innings if Kohli gets 6 bad umpiring decisions I won't hear you say Kohli doesn't belong to any team. Luck also matters in cricket boss. The person who is now batting, the SA skipper was dropped by Rahul off Ashwin when he just came to the crease, he is still batting now. 

11 minutes ago, putrevus said:

^^^^ how many catches have been dropped this innings, one.What happened rest of the time. He looked so incompetent at times this innings.

Thread was created after 1st innings. I want Jadeja next test but won't slam Ashwin when he is down. If a batsman gets so unlucky with decisions next time ask why he doesn't immediately deliver after that, cricket is a mind game. 

What went wrong? Cricbuzz and cricinfo were mentioning that he got a ton of balls to dip. Got several to turn too.

The little i watched him today, he looked good.

Is it a case of ill luck (barring drop catches) or is there something more?

I dont get it.

Earlier when he used to not pick wickets, i cud pinpoint where he was screwing up. Today its hard. Maybe i could say he could hav been more accurate but still....it doesn't seem convincing considering the same level of accuracy got him so many wickets in Asia.

What's going on?

@Gollum @vvvslaxman and others...

@sensible-indian I missed most of their innings, only saw a bit when Du Plessis- Rabada were batting. He was beating Rabada but not getting the edge. Against Du Plessis hard to say, because he was defending very well with no intention to score. He looked unlucky to me, another match he would have ended with a 10fer. 

8 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

What went wrong? Cricbuzz and cricinfo were mentioning that he got a ton of balls to dip. Got several to turn too.

The little i watched him today, he looked good.

Is it a case of ill luck (barring drop catches) or is there something more?

I dont get it.

Earlier when he used to not pick wickets, i cud pinpoint where he was screwing up. Today its hard. Maybe i could say he could hav been more accurate but still....it doesn't seem convincing considering the same level of accuracy got him so many wickets in Asia.

What's going on?

@Gollum @vvvslaxman and others...

If i have to nitpick something i can say one thing. He was not consistent. Not that he was trying too many variations. But he did not land the ball in the same area every ball.  He did not plan enough. He should have bowled 4 conventional offie and bowl a sucker punch delivery.  There are some times you have to repeat the same thing over and over and suddenly surprise the batsman. Now batsman are expecting different ball from Ash everyball they face.

Just now, Gollum said:

To all those posters blaming/abusing/downplaying Ashiwn.....5 wickets+6 dropped catches

Keshav Maharaj jisne Australia me ghus kar Lyon ke kehki lee thi 26 overs, 93 runs, 1 wicket, 0 dropped catches or missed stumpings

we expect much more from Ashwin ,he was just okayish this game,4 wickets for 100 runs and 1 cheap wkt in 2nd are ordinary returns 

19 hours ago, Gollum said:

@sensible-indian I missed most of their innings, only saw a bit when Du Plessis- Rabada were batting. He was beating Rabada but not getting the edge. Against Du Plessis hard to say, because he was defending very well with no intention to score. He looked unlucky to me, another match he would have ended with a 10fer. 

19 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

If i have to nitpick something i can say one thing. He was not consistent. Not that he was trying too many variations. But he did not land the ball in the same area every ball.  He did not plan enough. He should have bowled 4 conventional offie and bowl a sucker punch delivery.  There are some times you have to repeat the same thing over and over and suddenly surprise the batsman. Now batsman are expecting different ball from Ash everyball they face.

Yeah should work on getting it in same spot more often. I think this test will hopefully help him realize that.

Overall, its sad how unlucky he was. 

Dismissed 8 batsmen 10 times in first innings.

Dropped catched in 2nd with countless beatens.

11 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

we expect much more from Ashwin ,he was just okayish this game,4 wickets for 100 runs and 1 cheap wkt in 2nd are ordinary returns 

He had 6 dropped catches in a test match. When was the last time any bowler had these many put down? I am struggling to find an equivalent of the **** show by our fielders. If a batsman has 6 continuous howlers against him and averages 40 in a 3 match series, will you call that ordinary? And I heard so much about this Maharaj, people couldn't stop raving about him, he outbowled Lyon in Aus and wrecked the Kiwis in NZ. What did he do this match? This pitch wasn't a turner like many would want us to believe, it had very little for spinners and that is why we could play him so comfortably. 

Edited by Gollum