Not sure if Kohli is a long-term captaincy option - Graeme Smith

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

test format also this is a one dimensional team. That is why it has so have so many changes.

how  can you say that this indian team is capable of beating SA in SA when there is one hundred scored by their batsmen and no fifties from any of their top five. Kohli did not stop Vijay, Pujara to score runs nor did he stop rahul to score runs in second test

They are both entitled to their opinion but I feel they are lumping the past Indian teams failures on this team

Please read what people write 

I said they are capable of winning but whatever reasons they havn't. 

I can say that because man for man on paper they should have been a better batting unit . 

In hindsight they have been poor and most opinions they should have done better.  

What you " feel" and the actually words of the answers to the questions  have no resemblance

11 minutes ago, mishra said:

No, After Kumble, no one has balls to oppose him. Remember tripple centurian Karun Nair, He never got any more go because Dhawan Rohit need a place in starting 11.

May be, pople who can advise him have decided him to take lead and see where it all ends up

What are you talking about Nair flopped miserably in Australian series so was dropped how the heck it is Kohli's fault.

What is there to oppose and why should they oppose him he is the captain and as long as he is the captain he has right to choose his playing eleven.

He has been very successful captain too failing in SA  does not change that fact.His batsmen simply failed and we can hope they learn from and become better in future tours.

People who are calling this trip as disaster must have come from moon or they have no idea what they are looking at,the batsmen simply are FTBs in this team who panic the moment they see any seam or bounce. It is not the first Indian team to do it nor it will be last Indian team.

Tendulkar led Indian batting flopped so many times in past too so why are they making as if this is new.Give these guys a chance to grow and judge him after Australian series. If Kohli replicates what Dhoni did then get rid of him.

15 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Dravid 

He is better than Dravid who succumbed to pressure after couple of losses with five batsmen. He is better than Dravd or any other captain for one simple reason he is not afraid to change a winning combination if he feels other players in the squad give him better chance of winning that particular match.

Greatest modern coach in NFL Bill Belichick philosophy is what you have done in past does not matter always adapt for future.

Everyone in hindsight can say he is wrong in giving Rohit a chance but what we saw in Rahane is what they had to take the call and Rohit presents this tease to any captain.

@putrevus"Oppose" the kohli's friend selection! Simple as that.

Fact is , He is a exceptionally talented batsman who "we " can not afford to loose. This doesn't mean that we close our eyes to his " making space for his mates" in playing 11.

Next time when i go to watch a game, i wont be bothered to clap if Kohli walks in. And believe me, I am not alone with such view

Edited by mishra
19 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He is better than Dravid who succumbed to pressure after couple of losses with five batsmen. He is better than Dravd or any other captain for one simple reason he is not afraid to change a winning combination if he feels other players in the squad give him better chance of winning that particular match.

Greatest modern coach in NFL Bill Belichick philosophy is what you have done in past does not matter always adapt for future.

Everyone in hindsight can say he is wrong in giving Rohit a chance but what we saw in Rahane is what they had to take the call and Rohit presents this tease to any captain.

With a quarter back of 18 seasons

Goakicker 12 seasons 

Players 9, 10, 11, 12, and 15 seasons  I think bill also looks at the present and trusts those players to deliver week in week out 

17 minutes ago, mishra said:

@putrevus"Oppose" the kohli's friend selection! Simple as that.

Fact is , He is a exceptionally talented batsman who "we " can not afford to loose. This doesn't mean that we close our eyes to his " making space for his mates" in playing 11.

Next time when i go to watch a game, i wont be bothered to clap if Kohli walks in. And believe me, I am not alone with such view

I don't think he is doing any selection like what you are saying he is going by his gut feel and he is entitled do it.

You are entitled to your own opinion. IMHO he is the best Indian captain ever and also best Indian captain moving forward.

12 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

With a quarter back of 18 seasons

Goakicker 12 seasons 

Players 9, 10, 11, 12, and 15 seasons  I think bill also looks at the present and trusts those players to deliver week in week out 

But Bill has kept changing parts around his QB, Kohli Like QB in NE is the constant in this team rest of them are all interchangeable. for 53 man roster vs 11 man team Kohli is doing just fine.

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

But Bill has kept changing parts around his QB, Kohli Like QB in NE is the constant in this team rest of them are all interchangeable. for 53 man roster vs 11 man team Kohli is doing just fine.

Fine with deficiencies that need sorted 

23 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Fine with deficiencies that need sorted 

It will take time and he deserves it, one thing you look at any player once he becomes a captain how is it affecting his own performances. Kohli has aced that test and now it comes to finding right players and he needs help from selectors and players.

He is best motivator I have seen in any Indian captain and he might not fit your true captain's mold because he is different and he is expressive which might rub some people wrong way.When I see his passion to win , I am blown away by it so he deserves every bit of benefit of doubt.It is not like he has been an utter failure, this is his first series loss and why are people making it to be  prolonged slump.

That is why I am saying both Smith and Gavaskar are wrong in their assessment, if they did after England series where India lost 0-4 and Kohli is still playing his so called chums then we have a discussion.

He had no practice matches and he took a call on Rahane .Rahul he did play second test people are forgetting it.

Edited by putrevus
5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

It will take time and he deserves it, one thing you look at any player once he becomes a captain how is it affecting his own performances. Kohli has aced that test and now it comes to finding right players and he needs help from selectors and players.

He is best motivator I have seen in any Indian captain and he might not fit your true captain's mold because he is different and he is expressive which might rub some people wrong way.When I see his passion to win , I am blown away by it so he deserves every bit of benefit of doubt.It is not like he has been an utter failure, this is his first series loss and why are people making it to be  prolonged slump.

That is why I am saying both Smith and Gavaskar are wrong in their assessment, if they did after England series where India lost 0-4 and Kohli is still playing his so called chums then we have a discussion.

He had no practice matches and he took a call on Rahane .Rahul he did play second test people of forgetting it.

Best motivator for Virat Kohli not for his team. 

In   a cricket dressing  room players won't tolerate captains publicly showing displeasure of them , trying to get them to play  differently,  having no confidence in them 

That's why he needs his friends picked 

3 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Best motivator for Virat Kohli not for his team. 

In   a cricket dressing  room players won't tolerate captains publicly showing displeasure of them , trying to get them to play  differently,  having no confidence in them 

That's why he needs his friends picked 

Ponting did for a decade he did just fine being expressive and showing his emotions on field, why should Kohli change 

So just because he did not pick Rahane , Rahane is not his friend.He dropped Pujara also in Australia nothing wrong in it.

What are his so called friends people keep referring too?

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

Ponting did for a decade he did just fine being expressive and showing his emotions on field, why should Kohli change 

So just because he did not pick Rahane , Rahane is not his friend.He dropped Pujara also in Australia nothing wrong in it.

What are his so called friends people keep referring too?

Dhawan, , Rohit, Dhoni,  Yuvraj until he failed yoyo test, 

8 hours ago, putrevus said:

going with 5 bowlers doesnt mean you are going for a victory,you have to go with right bowlers as well , very often he has compromised chances of winning matches with idiotic team selections for some vague reasons ,he replaced bhuvi with ishant  and why Bumrah made his debut in an important overseas series,when others were playing non stop since 2 years,just like Karn Sharma this seems a whims and fancy move,if bumrah was in plans for the series he should have played against lanka as well

and similarly in case of batsman,he has not let them settle in as batting unit and openers are anyways in musical chairs mode.I agree Rahane was not in form and may have looked ordinary in nets,so i ll give him benefit of doubt there   

and Dravid was more tactically aware and intelligent on field captain than hot head Kohli, that is more important as  a captain than this gimmick of 5 bowlers and going for win theory  

9 hours ago, putrevus said:

I don't believe in conspiracy theories, Saha is his own man and he has means to tell the world if he was not injured.

If selection of Ishant in second test was a biggest mistake Kohli made as captain then I would take him as my captain every day.

Really .

Get booted out for life for challenging Mr. Ego.

12 hours ago, putrevus said:

I commented on Smith  because Smith was far better captain than Gavaskar and I really don't care about what Gavaskar says about captaincy as he was one of the most conservative captains.

What more do these people want from Kohli, he is trying to win every test match by playing 5 bowlers, his batting just did not turn. I don't see this loss as some big deal at all.

Gavaskar what was he smoking when he was saying India has very good chance of beating SA in SA before series. For India to beat SA in SA or England in England or Australia in Australia lot of things have to go well including help from weather gods.

If you have 1 fast bowler+ 4 spinners even Graeme Smith would have been conservative.

Thise days drawing games was a big enough achievement.

Anyways Can’t speak for others but I personally think Kohli’s onfield captaincy has been spot on.

His off the field by that don’t mean personal

life but off the field cricketing shenanigans like selections and his tussle with coach etc have given the feel that he wears his heart on his sleeve while at times it is a good thing it can also be a very bad thing.

Edited by maniac

Cost us a series , the third test finally got most of selections right and we see the result . This team is the best all round we have ever played and add to the fact that every other team is either going through transition or very weak , our best chance to dominate and fix some away records ..We messsed up this one , hopefully he stops fiddling with the team we can win in eng and Aus .