Can Pujara get a century

10 minutes ago, zen said:

Dumbass is still responding :facepalm:

I think you must have me confused with your...     Lol...you've sure got your wires crossed. I started a thread, you decided to post on your own voliton and I showed it to be snooze worthy BS.  Now your butthurt that I'm posting on my own thread...are you sure you actually know what the purpose of a forum is?

Edited by mancalledsting

This is valid criticism. He's kind of like Rohit sharma in Odis. Rohit takes a lot of balls to get set and can punish teams IF he gets set and makes it up later on. But he needs someone at the other end to keep the run rate ticking. But it doesn't work most of the times. And similarly, this is the issue with pujara in tests. He rarely makes up his starts and puts a lot of pressure at the other end to take risks and score runs. I am a pujara fan but he needs to improve on this especially considering that with him at the crease, quick singles and 3s are virtually non-existent.

9 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

I think you must have me confused with your...     Lol...you've sure got your wires crossed. I started a thread, you decided to post on your own voliton and I showed it to be snooze worthy BS.  Now your butthurt that I'm posting on my own thread...are you sure you actually know what the purpose of a forum is?

Thanks for the comedy thread 

What is your next idea that sports cars should be able to climb mountains like Range Rover? 

46 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Better to have someone scoring 50 at SR of 20 than 5 batsman who score 19 at SR of 200+ or whatever that pleases (Vijay - 8, Rahul - 0, Ajinkya - 9, Parthiv - 2, Hardik - 0).

This batting lineup is clearly dependent upon Virat and Chet. Others cannot even survive, forget their strike rate. They will get out 4-5 times if they bat as many balls as Chet has done in this match. 

Pujara was out for a low score lbw this innings...just South Africa didn't take a review. Can't point to his 'go slow' today as the way forward. 

9 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

This is valid criticism. He's kind of like Rohit sharma in Odis. Rohit takes a lot of balls to get set and can punish teams IF he gets set and makes it up later on. But he needs someone at the other end to keep the run rate ticking. But it doesn't work most of the times. And similarly, this is the issue with pujara in tests. He rarely makes up his starts and puts a lot of pressure at the other end to take risks and score runs. I am a pujara fan but he needs to improve on this especially considering that with him at the crease, quick singles and 3s are virtually non-existent.

Myth IMO. The other batsmen usually get out due to their own incompetence. When we bat on roads, his slow scoring makes no difference to the other batsmen. Case in point the Australian tour in 2014. Pujara generally struggled to convert his starts but most of the other batsmen in the line up made merry. I think we just need to re-adjust our expectations from Pujara. While playing in Asia, he's our number 1 batsman and serial match-winner. Outside Asia, he can only be a foil to the likes of Kohli and Rahane.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Myth IMO. The other batsmen usually get out due to their own incompetence. When we bat on roads, his slow scoring makes no difference to the other batsmen. Case in point the Australian tour in 2014. Pujara generally struggled to convert his starts but most of the other batsmen in the line up made merry. I think we just need to re-adjust our expectations from Pujara. While playing in Asia, he's our number 1 batsman and serial match-winner. Outside Asia, he can only be a foil to the likes of Kohli and Rahane.

Exactly.  Would it be better if Pujara was able to be more positive while maintaining his solidity? Of course.  But what he brings to the table, still adds value to our test XI.  And FWIW, there are plenty of stroke-players that can bat around him.   ChePu is what he is.   He may not be a Kohli, or even a Rahane.  But you don't win tests by fantasizing about plugging in super-stars at all positions.  You win by building a team that's greater than the sum of its parts.   

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Might as well open with pujara then. He'd be perfect. Didn't he get that hundred in SL on a green top while opening?

23 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Pujara was out for a low score lbw this innings...just South Africa didn't take a review. Can't point to his 'go slow' today as the way forward. 

It is South Africa's mistake if they did not take a review. Such things happen in long cricketing career. At times a cricketer is benefited by at times he is not. The fact is that Chet is second highest scorer in this innings. This is the innings for which at least i would praise Chet for. Personally won't criticize him for todays innings at all. No way. 

Edited by Straight Drive

Why does other batsman not try to match Pujara? Play 100-150 balls and score 50. Afterall its a Test Cricket, thats how you grind the opposition down, tire their bowlers and fielders, its a tried and tested formula. Runs become easier after ball is 40-50 overs old. Why are other batsman not able to stay not out for 100 plus balls? There is no shortage of time, infact we are f.ucking loosing inside 3 and 4 days. :facepalm: 

Can Dhawan, Kohli, Rohit and others change their game and match Pujara. We would definitely score more than 187, infact way lot more if couple of others can bat like Pujara.

Just now, mancalledsting said:

Kohli wasn't out... dropped catches. Pujara was out as per rules of the game. 

Sorry but thats such a dumbass argument.  Per the rules of the game, Pujara wasn't out, because the umpire gave him not out.   

Lets agree to disagree and leave it at that.  I'm really not interested in getting into an argument with a fellow fan.