How do you rate Virat after this SA series?

gakgupta

20 minutes ago, Vijy said:

he could end up like messi though. messi was a great player but he never had the right team to show off his full ability at the WCs. something similar could happen with VK thanks to our crap middle order.

Well Messi can blame the coaches but the buck stops with Kohli in Indian cricket. He has enough clout to pick the youngsta beauties but is besotted with TTFs and has beens instead.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Well Messi can blame the coaches but the buck stops with Kohli in Indian cricket. He has enough clout to pick the youngsta beauties but is besotted with TTFs and has beens instead.

he has a greybeard fetish clearly - Dhoni, yuvi, Karthik, now raina. I'm waiting for SRT, Kapil and Sunny to play. this will complete the team. perhaps even hazare and merchant can be revived (their skeletons).

Edited by Vijy
On 2/16/2018 at 9:03 PM, Vijy said:

you excluded the 2017 ct against pak. horrible captaincy decisions and then choking in the run chase. I don't think people consider kohli a FTB - in tests, barring eng he has done extremely well everywhere else.

This is silly.one failure and it's a choke? .he is not a run machine even though his stats suggest that.

7 hours ago, MCcricket said:

What r u smoking, seems good stuff, F wow.

Not giving opportunities to others is not good for long term development of the team. Not benching Pandya after multiple failures because he has good attitude is wrong too. As a captain he is F.

Firmly cemented his position as no 2 behind Smith in this era. For the time being let us desist from placing these 2 above retired ATGs because we don't know how their careers will end. Guys like SRT/Ponting/Viru had a dip in their later years while Sanga/Clarke/Inzi pushed up their stocks in their latter years. I expect Smith to have a dip, lot depends on how he times his retirement, whether on a high in 2023-24 or kicking and screaming like Ponting at an advanced age. Kohli may do better post 34-35 but Indian ATGs (bar Sunny, Dada) have a bad habit of not knowing when to quit. As things stand both these 2 will retire as ATGs no matter how much they decline. Root and KW IMO shouldn't figure in these discussions for the time being. 

I am assuming OP meant batting and not captaincy because that opens a can of worms and irrespective of recent results Kohli has more negative points than his bhakts would like us imagine, starting with his absurd selection policies. With the bat he still needs to have 1 good England tour, 2-3 quality knocks (by quality I don't mean breezy 20s and 30s) on raging turners and a good WC, esp in KO stages. These 2 coming years will be an acid test for him because if he misses the bus here, he may never redeem himself in 2022-23 cycle because of age/injuries/form etc. He is in his peak age and if he doesn't strike gold now he will never be comparable to Smith in any serious cricket discussion. I am sure he will give a few quality performances on raging turners at some point simply because he will get more opportunities there. 

If I were to summarize:

T20s...> GOAT

ODIs...> Top 5 of all time, closer to 5 than 1. Unless he rectifies his WC and KO/finals records he isn't getting anywhere close to the top irrespective of how he ends stats wise. Bilaterals have lost significance in the current era, most teams field their 2nd/3rd choice teams and in general ODI cricket is a format losing relevance. WCs and to a much lesser extent CT/Asia Cup are the only things worth playing for. 

Tests...> Not an ATG yet but an Indian ATG nonetheless, behind VVS in my list now. 

he is a ftb, only scored on easy pitches, rubbish captain, bias against pujara and rahane, looking to destroy pant and rahul, married a movie star so that after retiring he will join movies, big fan of kamal so that after retiring from movies will join his party. overall i rate him 3 steps below akmal brothers

1 hour ago, jf1gp_1 said:

he is a ftb, only scored on easy pitches, rubbish captain, bias against pujara and rahane, looking to destroy pant and rahul, married a movie star so that after retiring he will join movies, big fan of kamal so that after retiring from movies will join his party. overall i rate him 3 steps below akmal brothers

Most of our resident experts here would agree with you apart from akmal brothers bit 

1 hour ago, Khota said:

Seeig the results against SA vs Australia it reinforces in my mind that Kohli and Shastri are a disaster as leaders.

how on earth are u cursing them when ur urself were calling for same team selection infact worst

U wanted india to open with dhawan n rohit or rahane 

Kohli n shastri did the same blunder by playing white ball cricketers in red ball cricket n ur endorsing the same , so how come they are idiots 

ye doglapanti kyun