Selecting Kohli in 2008 cost me my job - Vengsarkar

1 hour ago, Khota said:

These problems will not get fixed by themselves. The only true solution is to have three captains for 3 formats to dilute their influence.

Its a good idea... its always better to have more than 1 captain. 

11 hours ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

@velu @Cricketics

plz merge the threads 

Vengsarkar went on to accuse Srinivasan of costing him his job as the chairman of the selection committee and replacing him with former India and Tamil Nadu player Kris Srikkanth. However, at the time, Vengsarkar could have qualified for an extension of his term if he had given up a conflict of interest that arose from his being vice-president of the Mumbai Cricket Association.

Vengsarkar chose not to be the selector as he preferred being VP of MCA.

Is he trying to say that he was sacked because he favored Kohli?

Does he would have been removed from selectors panel even if he had resigned from VP position of MCA?

Or is he complaining about the conflict of interest clause thinking that it was introduced just to remove him from the post as he didn't favor Chhhhennneeei player? 

Does ICF feel that the conflict of interest clause shouldn't have been introduced and any person holding positions in state boards should be allowed to be a selector? How does that solve any issue?

All I see is usual Dhoni bashing rather than any concrete reply on what exactly shouldn't have happened in this case.

2 hours ago, MechEng said:

Not surprising to be honest, MSD's nepotism was evident when he forced an unfit RP Singh to quit his holiday break and play the last test at The Oval in London. One of the greatest LOI captains of all time, but favoured nepotism.

Is RP Singh part of Rhiti sports or some CSK gang?

'None of the selectors have told me where I stand' - Badrinath

S Badrinath, the Tamil Nadu captain, has said that it was a "crushing blow" to not be included in India's squad for the one-day series in Sri Lanka and the Champions Trophy in August.

The selectors announced the squads on Thursday and Badrinath, who was among the probables for the Champions Trophy, was not named in either of them. The selectors decided to give Virat Kohli, who led India to victory in the Under-19 World Cup earlier this year, a surprise call-up.

"Even today I was there in front of the TV, with my wife, waiting for the team to be announced. I was numb when they finished reading the names," Badrinath told the Times of India. "I'm lost, I don't know where to go from here. None of the selectors have ever told me where I actually stand. I would love to know where I am lacking so that I can work on that."

The closest that Badrinath came to national selection was when he was called up as a replacement for the injured Gautam Gambhir during the home one-day series against Australia in October 2007.

"For god's sake, allow me to fail," Badrinath said. "If I am unable to prove my worth at the international arena, I will never say anything and be a fringe player all my life. But I deserve one chance."

Badrinath scored 990 runs at an average of 66.00 in 12 matches during the 2007-08 first-class season, including a double-century against South Africa A. He also scored 203 runs at 40.60 during the recent Emerging Players tournament in Australia including scores of 95 and 83 not out.

"Forget Emerging Players Trophy, I have scored heavily during the A series against Australia and South Africa earlier and the only player to have done better than me in domestic competitions is Gautam Gambhir," Badrinath said. "When Manoj Tiwary went for the tri-series in Australia earlier this year, I was intrigued. Still, I tried to keep my cool. Now it's Virat Kohli. This is really going nowhere."

30 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Vengsarkar chose not to be the selector as he preferred being VP of MCA.

Is he trying to say that he was sacked because he favored Kohli?

Does he would have been removed from selectors panel even if he had resigned from VP position of MCA?

Or is he complaining about the conflict of interest clause thinking that it was introduced just to remove him from the post as he didn't favor Chhhhennneeei player? 

Does ICF feel that the conflict of interest clause shouldn't have been introduced and any person holding positions in state boards should be allowed to be a selector? How does that solve any issue?

All I see is usual Dhoni bashing rather than any concrete reply on what exactly shouldn't have happened in this case.

was Srinivasan being treasurer of BCCI not conflict of interest, holding CSK ownership along with that and TNCA responsibility as well. How did it then only affect Vengsarkar and not Srini?

3 hours ago, Vilander said:

what is bonda man - is that some derog for kannadiga. ? i dont care man.  i just have an intense dislike for politicking piece of craps..from anywhere, it suboptimises a system. What does this statement from chewt$%akar has as an outcome, Kohli and BCCI officials feel wronged by Dhoni ? and do what ? What could be the possible outcome for Srini he is already out of the picture. Its just a news grabber for chew#$Akar here  he is getting back at Srini for back room politics ? why mess around with Dhoni as well ?

yes, it is all hindsight now. Most captain would pick an experienced in-form domestic player than a 19 year old rookie. Dhoni did nothing wrong neither did Srini because Badrinath was top domestic performer at that time.

22 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

was Srinivasan being treasurer of BCCI not conflict of interest, holding CSK ownership along with that and TNCA responsibility as well. How did it then only affect Vengsarkar and not Srini?

Conflict of interests?

Which interests are we talking about here? Just holding two positions doesn't mean it will result in conflict of interest.

Vengsarkar was a selector, a position where he had to decide 15 players from a set of 50+ players. 

3 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Conflict of interests?

Which interests are we talking about here? Just holding two positions doesn't mean it will result in conflict of interest.

Vengsarkar was a selector, a position where he had to decide 15 players from a set of 50+ players. 

Srini was BCCI post holder along with CAK owner and TNCA president. how would he not affect the selections? He certainly had a higher designation than a selector in BCCI.  he could certainly influence the selections.

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Srini was BCCI post holder along with CAK owner and TNCA president. how would he not affect the selections? He certainly had a higher designation than a selector in BCCI.  he could certainly influence the selections.

He was powerful, but he wasn't decision maker. Anyone can have influence just by holding 1 post or no post.

Unless there is direct responsibility or decisions of a person for certain post influenced by his other post, how can we call it conflict of interests?

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

'None of the selectors have told me where I stand' - Badrinath

Does any of the mumbai supporters who went all red eyed in the thread have a ducking response for this ? May be mr iknowpolitics 'kar' was the one being regional.

19 hours ago, Number said:

Describing why the debate between Badrinath and Kohli occurred, the 61-year-old said, “I knew that they were keen on keeping S Badrinath in the team because he was a Chennai Super Kings player.

Yeah and he was just an average perfomer during that time. 

Season   Matches Inns Not Out Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St

2005-06 (India) 8 11 2 636 206* 70.66 2 3 6  
2006 (Australia) 2 3 1 184 70* 92.00 0 3 4  
2006-07 (India) 9 13 1 671 136   55.91 1 5 8  
2007-08 (India) 12 17 2 990 200* 66.00 4 3 4  
2007-08 (Kenya) 2 2 2 293 160*   2 0 1  
2007-08 (Zimbabwe) 2 2 1 165 103* 165.00 1 1 0  
2008-09 (India) 12 16 2 876 200   62.57 4 3 10  
2009-10 (India) 10 14 0 800 250   57.14 3 4 7  
2010-11 (India) 12 15 4 1226 195   111.45 5 5 16  

5741 runs at avg of 73.6 in FC cricket. Number of tests played during this time - 2, scored 56 in 1 match where Steyn ripped apart Indian batting.

Nepotism can't be worse than this.

Let's ignore all this and ride the Dhoni bashing train.