Selecting Kohli in 2008 cost me my job - Vengsarkar

2 minutes ago, Vilander said:

what is needed is you need to make up your mind about defending vengsarkar and his weaseling ways here. its not about badri, not about Kohli not about Dhoni not about srini..its definitely about che@#$ vengsarkar for sure.

You can carry on with your dripping hatred for Vengsarkar and other "Kars" as you call them.   Your choice.   Poor one, but still yours.  Get well soon.

https://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-news/vengsarkar-create-controversy-srinivasan/293903

Vengsarkar was the vice-president of Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) in addition to his national selector’s role at that time. Explaining why Vengsarkar had to step down, Srinivasan said the working committee had unanimously decided in August 2008 that a person who is the office-bearer of the BCCI or any of its member units wouldn’t be considered for a selector’s role.

“Vengsarkar continued as the vice-president of the MCA until 2010 and again in 2014 as he could not have been considered at all for the post of selector,” Srinivasan pointed out. “The decision was clear – you can’t be on both sides. This is a simple rule and he was aware of it. He is trying to create some controversy by suggesting that I was behind his removal when I was the treasurer of the BCCI.”

Srinivasan stated that he had no qualms with Vengsarkar, and that he had always lent him a lot support.

“All of us have been great admirers of the batting skills of Vengsarkar,” said Srinivasan. “If I recall, for his benefit match back in 1994 – India Cements had contributed Rs 1 lakh which at that time was a princely sum.

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/sports/cricket/090318/n-srinivasan-terms-dilip-vengsarkars-claim-on-virat-kohli-selection.html

"To my recollection a large sum of money was given by Dadar Union Club (for which Vengsarkar and Sunil Gavaskar played) for its infrastructure at his request," he added.

"I have respected him as a cricketer and we treated him as a national hero. I am sorry that he talks like this," Srinivasan said of the former India batsman, who was nicknamed the 'Colonel.' He also denied the allegation by Vengsarkar that one player had been dropped in favour of another player, who was selected in the Indian squad in the tour to Sri Lanka in 2008.

"The allegation that one player was dropped in favour of another player who was selected for the Indian squad in the tour to Sri Lanka in 2008 which is the decision that allegedly resulted in his removal itself is not even borne out by the events in 2008 as both the players mentioned by Dilip Vengsarkar ultimately represented India in the squad in Sri Lanka," the former Board president said.

The former BCCI and Tamil Nadu president also said Vengsarkar lost his post as selection committee chairman in 2008 as he chose to continue as vice-president of Mumbai Cricket Association.

"At the AGM of BCCI in 2008, the reappointment of the selection committees and various other committees was taken up, as was the norm. At this time, Vengsarkar chose to continue as vice-president of Mumbai Cricket Association and hence could not be considered to the post in any of the selection committees," he pointed out.

Srinivasan also criticised the former India Test cricketer for trying to create some controversy now by suggesting he was behind his removal as chief selector.

"Now he is trying to create some controversy by suggesting that I was behind his removal when I was the treasurer of BCCI. This is totally unwarranted and defies logic. Vengsarkar continued to be the vice-president of Mumbai Cricket Association until 2010 and again in 2014," he added.

4 hours ago, Shunya said:

With this admission in media it seems Vengsarkar would have actually denied Badrinath(who was a proven performer in domestics) a chance because of his bias against CSK. That is actually shameful if true.

Selectors don't always pick proven domestic performer. Don't ICF posters cry when domestic legends who look nothing special are given chances in Indian team? Vengsarkar thought kohli might be a better pick based on potential he had seen in him. That is the job of a selector. To pick the right talent. Not do the number crunching and pick only top domestic performers. Shrinivasan would have got benefit of doubt from allegations of favouring his  state boy Badrinath, had he not removed Vengsarkar. And tbh Shrinivasan had no business interfering. Selection(Right or wrong) is selector's jobs in coordination with captain.

Edited by Pollack
59 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Selectors don't always pick proven domestic performer. Don't ICF posters cry when domestic legends who look nothing special are given chances in Indian team? Vengsarkar thought kohli might be a better pick based on potential he had seen in him. That is the job of a selector. To pick the right talent. Not do the number crunching and pick only top domestic performers. Shrinivasan would have got benefit of doubt from allegations of favouring his  state boy Badrinath, had he not removed Vengsarkar. And tbh Shrinivasan had no business interfering. Selection(Right or wrong) is selector's jobs in coordination with captain.

True. But him bringing CSK in the issue shows that he was ignored because of that and now Kohli's name is brought into this just to justify this. 

Usually, i would stick up for the selector. But this whole comment sounds made up lol It is very over-dramatic. If anything Badri did not even play that many Tests. He suggests as if Badri blocked Kohli for 50 tests.  Even assuming Gary Kirsten/Dhoni preferred Badri, the reason is entirely Vengy's imagination.  Gary kirsten.. what does he have to do with CSK? 

I am glad Ashwin has clicked won 7 man of the series awards . Shined both with ball and bat.  Otherwise he would have said "I suggested Kuldeep to play ahead of Ashwin. But they refused"   If Vengyhad said that about Manpreet Gony this would have been believable. But attacking Badri is like hitting below the belt.

1 hour ago, Pollack said:

The same Vengsarkar thought Yuvi and Raina were better than Badri. It's easy to say now when Kohli's well established that he backed him. It's like creating numerous threads on various players that they'll be a star and when one of them comes good, we boast "Didn't i say so?":giggle:

9 hours ago, The Dark Horse said:

The same Vengsarkar thought Yuvi and Raina were better than Badri. It's easy to say now when Kohli's well established that he backed him. It's like creating numerous threads on various players that they'll be a star and when one of them comes good, we boast "Didn't i say so?":giggle:

What makes you think that Badri was better than them. He surely was not better cricketer in shorter forms.

29 minutes ago, putrevus said:

What makes you think that Badri was better than them. He surely was not better cricketer in shorter forms.

He could have been a lot better cricketer, if given the same number of chances. However, that's not the point. These players were getting selected based on ODI performances.

2 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

He could have been a lot better cricketer, if given the same number of chances. However, that's not the point. These players were getting selected based on ODI performances.

that will be case ten years from now too.Scoring in high pressure odi situations will always trump any higher FC  average. Badri was uni dimensional player who other than his batting didn't add any value.So I don't see how Badri becomes better cricketer than them.Young talented players will always get more chances than any proven domestic star.Talent more than experience wins at international level.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

that will be case ten years from now too.Scoring in high pressure odi situations will always trump any higher FC  average. Badri was uni dimensional player who other than his batting didn't add any value.So I don't see how Badri becomes better cricketer than them.Young talented players will always get more chances than any proven domestic star.Talent more than experience wins at international level.

Tell me why Raina, Yuvi etc failed and now Rohit is failing in tests.

2 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

Tell me why Raina, Yuvi etc failed and now Rohit is failing in tests.

What has that got to do with Badri not getting chances. The three you mentioned are/were proven odi performers who performed in big stages in odis so naturally will get more chances as they are in public eye more. To overcome that a player like Badri has to be Bradmanesque which he was not so he got limited chances. 

Rohit has FC average better than Badri and his test record in India is very good too.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

What has that got to do with Badri not getting chances. The three you mentioned are/were proven odi performers who performed in big stages in odis so naturally will get more chances as they are in public eye more. To overcome that a player like Badri has to be Bradmanesque which he was not so he got limited chances. 

Rohit has FC average better than Badri and his test record in India is very good too.

You said ODI performances are the main criteria to get selected in tests.  By that logic even T20 players are more in the public eye.  Why don't we select test players from IPL?  It's because  domestic cricket and A tours are the main mode of finding  test players. Badri would have or wouldn't  have performed if he was given more chances.  Instead of wasting  opportunities  on Yuvi and Raina (You could clearly see that they are not for tests) they could have given chances to players like Mazumder, Badri etc., have a good look if they're  capable of playing  tests and then drop them if not good enough. 

Selectors like Vengsarkar played to the public rather than selecting the best team.