Kuldeep Yadav has to play all 5 tests against England

22 minutes ago, philcric said:

He has pretty good control. Hardly bowls rank bad balls.

He turns the ball more than Ash and Jaddu.

His USP is he can pitch the ball at the same spot (around off stump) with similar action/pace and the ball can turn either way.

Yes, he probably has to work on his pace for different pitches.

No, he does not have control and he does not turn the ball much if it is not a turner.  Ashwin and Jaddu turns the ball as much as him on turners.

26 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

No, he does not have control and he does not turn the ball much if it is not a turner.  Ashwin and Jaddu turns the ball as much as him on turners.

"No, he does not have control" ... I disagree. Whenever I've seen him he bowled with a pretty good control esp for a wrist spinner.

"he does not turn the ball much if it is not a turner" ... much is relative, here we are talking about Kuldeep Ash n Jaddu, IMO Kuldeep turns a little more than Ash and Jaddu on non turners.

"Ashwin and Jaddu turns the ball as much as him on turners." ... Eng pitches are not turners.

Anyway Kuldeep has not played enough test cricket, we can't be really sure how he'd perform abroad. Ash and Jaddu played enough and didn't really nail it yet abroad. Kuldeep may or may not be successful in England but there's enough to suggest he deserves a go.

6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

what? both bring the ball back in to righties.  For righties, we need a right arm leg spinner. Chinamen is off spin for righties.

to righties he bowls over the wicket , and moves the ball away from the batsmen :dontknow:

5 hours ago, philcric said:

"No, he does not have control" ... I disagree. Whenever I've seen him he bowled with a pretty good control esp for a wrist spinner.

"he does not turn the ball much if it is not a turner" ... much is relative, here we are talking about Kuldeep Ash n Jaddu, IMO Kuldeep turns a little more than Ash and Jaddu on non turners.

"Ashwin and Jaddu turns the ball as much as him on turners." ... Eng pitches are not turners.

Anyway Kuldeep has not played enough test cricket, we can't be really sure how he'd perform abroad. Ash and Jaddu played enough and didn't really nail it yet abroad. Kuldeep may or may not be successful in England but there's enough to suggest he deserves a go.

has not played enough test which means there is no evidence he can run through teams or will be better than Ashwin or Jaddu. He has not run through teams even in domestic cricket yet.

Edited by rkt.india
23 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

has not played enough test which means there is no evidence he can run through teams or will be better than Ashwin or Jaddu. He has not run through teams even in domestic cricket yet.

logical fallacy.

Anyway it's a matter of opinion at this point. Ash/Jaddu played a fair no. of matches abroad and Kuldeep hasn't. Based on what I've seen and the styles of bowling of the three, I feel Kuldeep possibly could do well, better than Ash/Jaddu. Only after he plays at least couple of tests would we get a better picture.

I believe Kuldeep as well as Chahal should play test series. But as long as Ashwin is there, chances they got to play would be minimum. May be selectors would think in pace friendly conditions spinners have nothing, but its worth a try at least one of them plays 1st match vs England since Ashwin is no more a threatening bowler now a days.

1 hour ago, SecondSlip said:

People are seriously overrating Ashwin’s batting. 

He only scores big against WI from what I have seen. 

Last time he batted well in England. No world class spinner to bother him there, generally spin and genuine pace+bounce (145+) is his undoing. 

On 6/6/2018 at 10:02 PM, SecondSlip said:

Calling it right now! 

If Kuldeep plays all 5 tests against England this August, he will be man of the series and win it for us

3-1. 

Team England won’t know what hit em’

Agar kuldeep ko 2 odi ya 1 test men bhi phainty padd gayi na, tu hi usse sabse pehle domestic level ka bowler declare krega

1 hour ago, SLICKR392 said:

Yeah? And on what basis should Kohli be dropped? He was our best bat in SA by a mile.

Eng 2014? Not that I am advocating that Kohli be dropped but there should be similar yardstick for everyone, atm it looks like Kohli is the only guaranteed starter. 

Edited by Gollum
7 hours ago, SLICKR392 said:

I'm basing the selection based on Ashwin's last outing. 2014 was 4 long years back.

IMO Ashwin was good in SA. Can't blame him much when 5-6 catches were dropped off his bowling in 1 test, has such an anomaly ever happened before to any other bowler? The big takeaway was Ashwin thoroughly outbowling Maharaj who himself is no mug as was apparent in the next series against Australia where he made Lyon look 2nd rate. Add to that his batting which was decent, I expect runs from the lower order in England and I won't be surprised if Ashwin gets a 100 if he plays there, he is a better bat than Agarkar and Kumble. 

RSA 1st innings

Ashwin to Amla, no run, great effort by Pandya and he has failed to hang on at short mid. Amla gets a life. Short of the driving length and it turned, brought the thick inside edge into play, Amla got a thick edge, Pandya flying to his left, one-handed failed to clasp it. Would've been a blinder. And despite that fine effort, Kohli isn't happy

Ashwin to du Plessis, no run, dropped by Parthiv Patel. Clear edge and Patel makes a meal of it. Was the slider outside off, du Plessis was trying to push off the back foot and was a thick edge as well. In and out. Patel tried to grab that on the second attempt, but it went away from him pretty quickly

Ashwin to Rabada, 1 run, India have dropped Rabada twice in two balls! Madness.He comes running down the track, Ashwin shortens the length and all Rabada's swat yields is a leading edge. That was Pandya's catch at point but Shami comes rushing across from short third man, blinding the former and Pandya drops it. Wow. India will live to rue this

Ashwin to Rabada, 2 runs, Kohli drops a chance at slip. You must have read this before. Ashwin squares Rabada on back foot with the spin, the ball hits Kohli's fingers and scoots away to his right. Needed to be more alert. He had his CG too low there and that curbed his weight transfer from right foot to left. That can hurt India

RSA 2nd innings

Ashwin to du Plessis, no run, dropped! The ball dipped in and the batsman tickled the ball away for the man at leg slip to fling his right arm. The ball popped out as Rahul tried to gobble it up. The ball went really quick and was past him and that I guess made it tougher for the ball to stick to his hand

Another half chance which any other gora team would have taken.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-full-commentary/19158/rsa-vs-ind-2nd-test-india-tour-of-south-africa-2017-18

On 6/7/2018 at 6:28 PM, Lala said:

I believe Kuldeep as well as Chahal should play test series. But as long as Ashwin is there, chances they got to play would be minimum. May be selectors would think in pace friendly conditions spinners have nothing, but its worth a try at least one of them plays 1st match vs England since Ashwin is no more a threatening bowler now a days.

Nope chahal is better for LOI