Is Umesh really that great strike bowler?

20 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Fixed for you...

10-fer and MoM in his last test, so there are rewards.

His issue is he has just not learned how to bowl away from home. That hittthe top of stumps strategy works wonderfully on home pitches, not so much on pitches with decent bounce. And for some mysterious reason, he has decided never to bowl 140 which is very much capable of.

22 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

10-fer and MoM in his last test, so there are rewards.

His issue is he has just not learned how to bowl away from home. That hittthe top of stumps strategy works wonderfully on home pitches, not so much on pitches with decent bounce. And for some mysterious reason, he has decided never to bowl 140 which is very much capable of.

good length is hitting top of off stump anywhere in the world. If it bounces more, you've to adjust your length and be fuller compared with home pitches.

The key is being relentless and surprise ball: you tire the batsman and keep him guessing by bowling a tight line/length, and then suddenly you slip in that fuller ball that swings and gets him lbw/bowled, or that juicy half-volley that the batsman nicks.

Umesh has the surprise ball, in fact 90% of his deliveries and full of surprises, but he doesn't have the relentlessness. That's the problem.

52 minutes ago, bhakum20 said:

good length is hitting top of off stump anywhere in the world. If it bounces more, you've to adjust your length and be fuller compared with home pitches.

Exactly.  This is what I keep on saying.

I don't understand this " could not find his length on bouncy tracks "  reasoning. 

Find your good length on any pitch by targeting the top of off stump.  Find your bouncer length on any pitch by targeting the back shoulder of the batter.

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I don't understand this " could not find his length on bouncy tracks "  reasoning. 

Find your good length on any pitch by targeting the top of off stump.  Find your bouncer length on any pitch by targeting the back shoulder of the batter.

good length is what where batsman is not sure whether to play back or forward.

9 hours ago, rkt.india said:

i think fitness cloud over Bhuvi has made TM play Yadav.  he is a waste overseas.  he should just play at home.

This is the place for my obligatory daily whinging about Siraj not being in the team to exploit these conditions.  All he has done is take wickets every chance he has got, and there he is across the Tasman sea playing for Ind-A.  

That is easier said than done. Muscle memory plays a vital role, these bowlers are so used to it that it feels unnatural for them to change lengths as per pitch conditions.

Umesh is useless anywhere as he has no control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
32 minutes ago, putrevus said:

That is easier said than done. Muscle memory plays a vital role, these bowlers are so used to it that it feels unnatural for them to change lengths as per pitch conditions.

Someone like Bumrah is able to change lengths and line according to formats, he is able to bowl Yorkers, short balls, slower balls, good length balls, etc. at will. That is what is a bowler with control. Guys like Ishant, Umesh, Shami don't even play LOIs regularly these days, so if they can't even adjust in one format, means they don't have control, simple...

15 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Someone like Bumrah is able to change lengths and line according to formats, he is able to bowl Yorkers, short balls, slower balls, good length balls, etc. at will. That is what is a bowler with control. Guys like Ishant, Umesh, Shami don't even play LOIs regularly these days, so if they can't even adjust in one format, means they don't have control, simple...

They don't have that control thats why they are not world class bowlers.It took more than decade for Ishant to land ball with proper seam position, what does that tell you about him.

Let us wait on Bumrah before we pronounce him world class.

8 minutes ago, putrevus said:

They don't have that control thats why they are not world class bowlers.It took more than decade for Ishant to land ball with proper seam position, what does that tell you about him.

Let us wait on Bumrah before we pronounce him world class.

Bumrah is in a different league altogether compared to other Indian bowlers. There is no comparison really. 

1 minute ago, NareshK said:

Bumrah is in a different league altogether compared to other Indian bowlers. There is no comparison really. 

He is but he is no Rabada yet.We need more Bumrahs than Yadavs, Ishants or Shami.These guys have played more than decade and yet have not become world class strike bowlers.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Very true, it is not easy at all which is why 90% of international bowlers won’t be having the control that the top bowlers have. We can’t expect every bowler to have McGrath or Philander like accuracy. 

Umesh is a nightmare for a captain. Even on helpful wickets, he can be a spray gun and bowl on either side of the wicket and give away runs and thereby releasing pressure.

I have seen Umesh bowl some good spells but can also be terrible on even the most helpful surfaces. Very inconsistent and honestly not good enough to a test level bowler but India doesnt have a lot of options, so he is lucky to be in the reckoning.