Your favorite cricketers

zen

19 hours ago, Gollum said:

I will pick 1 batsman, 1 bowler and 1 keeper (just to fit in Saha :p:) for each.

Past (watched)

• Ind: Sachin, Kumble, none
  • World: Damien Martyn, McGrath, Flower

Past (not watched) 

• Ind: Mohinder Amarnath, Chandrasekhar, Budhi Kunderan
  • World: Kanhai, Malcolm Marshall, Dujon

Current

• Ind: Pujara, Bumrah, Saha :aha:
  • World: Steve Smith:hail:, Anderson, Kock   

How do you know about Budhi Kunderan to be one of your favourites ?

Past (watched)

World - Steve Waugh, Shane Warne

Ind - Dravid, Veeru, Dhoni ( his career is over)

Past ( not watched)

World - Viv Richards, Clive Lyod, 

Ind - Vishwanath, Sunny

Current

World - Starc, Warner , Dekock

Ind - Kohli, Pant, Bumrah and Kuldeep

26 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Based on what I have read about him, I mean I didn't even watch Kirmani, Engineer, More etc....that was my keeper candidate from India of past (not watched). Thought about Engineer but IMO he's slightly over rated, his keeping was shambles and cost us the 1969 series when Bill Lawry brought his team here. Engineer likes to boast and has a cult following in England, yeah he may be more appealing to some. 

IIRC you know Budhi right?

38 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Based on what I have read about him, I mean I didn't even watch Kirmani, Engineer, More etc....that was my keeper candidate from India of past (not watched). Thought about Engineer but IMO he's slightly over rated, his keeping was shambles and cost us the 1969 series when Bill Lawry brought his team here. Engineer likes to boast and has a cult following in England, yeah he may be more appealing to some. 

Farooq played for Lancashire and Pataudi (MAK) for Sussex. Senior Pataudi played for both Indian as well as England in tests. Farooq and MAK were very popular in England because of their county connections. In fact Farooq got a standing ovation at Old Trafford when he walked in to bat at his home ground. Most of the inning i watched Farooq bat were attacking ones and he did bail us out from bad situations to  respectable totals . He did open in few matches alongside Chetan Chauhan when there was a need, although he always wanted to be a middle order bat. His keeping was average. In some matches he has kept as bad a part time keeper. I don't think anyone else who has also watched him keep rates Farooq as an excellent keeper, except the crickets off course who may have played with him.

1 hour ago, Tattieboy said:

I have heard stories  of Kunderan’s heroics from my dad.

From what he tells me Kunderan was the Sehwag of those times. People would gather around the radio to listen to the commentary  when he was batting.

However I think there were class divides in the Indian team those days and commies such as Maharaja or Vizianagaram would keep criticizing his audacious strokeplay.

I think he settled in Scotland right?

14 minutes ago, maniac said:

From what he tells me Kunderan was the Sehwag of those times. People would gather around the radio to listen to the commentary  when he was batting.

However I think there were class divides in the Indian team those days and commies such as Maharaja or Vizianagaram would keep criticizing his audacious strokeplay.

Those days i remember i used to carry a transistor to college to listen to commentary. My friends used to gather when i switched it on. There was no live broadcast of away series those years.

Class divides was indeed there, but that was in a very primitve era. Probably in 1930's. The name you mentioned after whom Vizzy trophy was named, being a wealthy person.  FC Cricketers use to take ride in people's car to get to stadium those times. Now people get offended very easily due to ego issues. Now the cricketers can't imagine walking freely on road. You never know how a young cricketer will revert if you offer him a lift to stadium.

3 hours ago, maniac said:

Yes he did settle in Scotland , him and his English wife. His two sons live in Scotland .

My very first senior game was against Budhi, I played a few times against him before he retired . 

Your dad is correct , he was The Sewag of his time and a very fine wicketkeeper. 

I was very surprised that he got life time achievement award because up to his death he never forgave BCCI .

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

I did know Budhi , he is probably the most liked Indian who played here , probably because he settled here , played for so many years here and did play for Scotland as the professional against English counties in cup games. 

Hard to pick among Indians as many there, we produce the best bats and have history of it.

If I were to say one foeign name currently then I would pick Guptill as the foreign player and I would say I realy like watching Martin Guptill when he is in flow. Players like him make the game fun to watch and attract the kids to come watch more in the stadium.