Nasser Hussain: "Rohit would get into an all-time white-ball XI"

sage

50 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Come on this isn't even a contest & you know it, on a track probably faster than any current Indian player has ever played on.

He also played a shot similar to Rohit vs SL in 2003 WC, except both he & Sehwag used to play it regularly back then.

that delivery is 142 kph not the fastest.

42 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

not really. Akram and Waqar both were on their last legs and conditions this time were more challenging. 

hasan ali and wahab riaz are probably on their last legs as well, especially the latter. akram had an avg of 22 in 2002 and 17 in 2003, the last two yrs of his career. Waqar avgd 20 in 2001, 27.5 in 2002 and around 25 in 2003. shoaib and razzaq were doing well too. besides the pressure was much higher on the Ind cricketers. you should look at how hasan ali has done in 2018-19 and also wahab riaz. even amir probably hasn't done that great.

on current form, hasan ali and wahab riaz have been crap. amir is mostly solid without being threatening (apart from this WC), shadab is too raw, imad is much poorer than shahid afridi, etc. the 2003 WC pak attack at that time was a very good one. this one is marginally better than SL, Afg and Bang. Rohit's 122 can be compared with SRT's 98 but the Saffers were missing crucial bowlers, etc. blah blah blah.

in the end, I think what matters however is that someone stepped up when it mattered in WC matches vs pak - Ajay Jadeja, Venky Prasad, SRT, Raina, Rohit, Kuldeep, fiery Shankar, (:phehe:) etc. the list goes on.

Edited by Vijy
36 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

how some who is averaging close to 60 as an opener in last 5-6 years can be called inconsistent? Highly stupid for anyone to call him inconsistent.  If he is inconsistent, no batsman in the world can be called consistent then not even Tendulkar.

Omg .. I'm being called "Stupid" and scolded by RKT. ..main dhanya hua .

Such Stupid ,Much RKT presence 

Yeh lo 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/34102.html?batting_positionmax1=2;batting_positionmin1=1;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=start;template=results;type=allround;view=innings

Consistency was regarding the in between scores after  big hundred  .Rohit Sharma is the best opener of current times ..period .

Edited by Stuge
8 hours ago, putrevus said:

He will get into any all time eleven. He is better than Jayasuryas and Gilchrist. I don’t think there is anyone who is better than him other than Sachin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Waugh is one contender, like for like really, elegance personified and has brilliant World Cup record. However Rohit can claim it if he continues this WC run

Edited by SK_IH
24 minutes ago, Vijy said:

hasan ali and wahab riaz are probably on their last legs as well, especially the latter. akram had an avg of 22 in 2002 and 17 in 2003, the last two yrs of his career. Waqar avgd 20 in 2001, 27.5 in 2002 and around 25 in 2003. shoaib and razzaq were doing well too. besides the pressure was much higher on the Ind cricketers. you should look at how hasan ali has done in 2018-19 and also wahab riaz. even amir probably hasn't done that great.

on current form, hasan ali and wahab riaz have been crap. amir is mostly solid without being threatening (apart from this WC), shadab is too raw, imad is much poorer than shahid afridi, etc. the 2003 WC pak attack at that time was a very good one. this one is marginally better than SL, Afg and Bang. Rohit's 122 can be compared with SRT's 98 but the Saffers were missing crucial bowlers, etc. blah blah blah.

in the end, I think what matters however is that someone stepped up when it mattered in WCS - Ajay Jadeja, Venky Prasad, SRT, Raina, Rohit, Kuldeep, fiery Shankar, (:phehe:) etc. the list goes on.

Raina is the "gunnest" crunch batsman

quarter final vs Australia

semi final vs Pakistan

2015 match vs zimbabwe in a tricky situation

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

In Rohit's defense, Rohit never got threatened by pace. Never seen anyone pull fast bowlers for six like Rohit sharma has done. We went gaga over Tenduklar pulling Andy Caddick for six. Recently Rohit pulled Mitch Starc for six. ALso if you look at the shots of Sachin and Rohit there is a difference where the ball ended up.  Sachin's six ended up behind the wicket Rohit's six was parallel. Basically it corresponds to the speed difference.

Rohit has never faced anyone with the pace and steep bounce of Akhtar. No such bowler exists today. Maybe Johnson in 2013 came close but that's it. However, to Rohit's credit he has been good against pace in general so there's that. 

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Upper cut is not a new thing guys :) My first "almost six" was through upper cut in school. My best friend was bowling fast and furious. Faster the ball further it travels.  In Sachin's case he just had to guide Akhtar's ball. IN Rohit's case he literally had to hit it.

C'mon. Hassan Ali's ball was garbage. It had so much width. 

24 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Rohit has never faced anyone with the pace and steep bounce of Akhtar. No such bowler exists today. Maybe Johnson in 2013 came close but that's it. However, to Rohit's credit he has been good against pace in general so there's that. 

Akhtar was not tall and bounce was not his strength.  There are plenty who are taller and quick these days likes of Starc, Rabada, Archer, etc.

52 minutes ago, Stuge said:

Yeh lo 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/34102.html?batting_positionmax1=2;batting_positionmin1=1;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=start;template=results;type=allround;view=innings

Consistency was regarding the in between scores after  big hundred  .Rohit Sharma is the best opener of current times ..period .

i am not calling you stupid.  i calling stupid people who think Rohit is inconsistent.  Do you think so?

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

in the end, I think what matters however is that someone stepped up when it mattered in WC matches vs pak - Ajay Jadeja, Venky Prasad, SRT, Raina, Rohit, Kuldeep, fiery Shankar, (:phehe:) etc. the list goes on.

Only think i will say is.  we were confident of chasing 271 in 2003 despite akram, waqar or Akhtar.  despite 271 was a big total at that time chasing and we were not the best chasers then.  Still, we were confident we will chase this because pitch was absolute road.  We were not.   We also had a pretty good batting line up then.  Here, it is all about top 3.  You could not count on batsmen 4-6. We then had Dravid/Yuvraj coming in at 4-5. This time we had doubts if Amir had his day, we could be in trouble like last CT and ball does swing in England which was not the case in 2003.  That tells you everything.   

2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

He did face lee in 2008 CB series and he was bowling really quick 

NEways rohit problem have never been pace n bounce. Its more of lateral movement. 

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Only think i will say is.  we were confident of chasing 271 in 2003 despite akram, waqar or Akhtar.  despite 271 was a big total at that time chasing and we were not the best chasers then.  Still, we were confident we will chase this because pitch was absolute road.  We were not.   We also had a pretty good batting line up then.  Here, it is all about top 3.  You could not count on batsmen 4-6. We then had Dravid/Yuvraj coming in at 4-5. This time we had doubts if Amir had his day, we could be in trouble like last CT and ball does swing in England which was not the case in 2003.  That tells you everything.   

We were also confident of chasing in ct17 final as even sl chased against us few days back. Thing is pressure against Pak is something else, otherwise why Pak who was so much superior than us till 99 WC never won against us.

Edited by bahubali
56 minutes ago, Stuge said:

Yeh lo 

Player A- 125 innings, 22 100s and 30 50s, thats a 50+ score in 40% of the innings of the innings as an opener!

Player B - 350 innings, 45 100s and 75 50s, a 50+ score in 40% of the innings as an opener!

Player A is inconsistent, Player B is the greatest ODI batsman!

30 minutes ago, bahubali said:

We were also confident of chasing in ct17 final as even sl chased against us few days back. Thing is pressure against Pak is something else, otherwise why Pak who was so much superior than us till 99 WC never won against us.

dont think we were really confident of chasing 338 in final. chasing and final, pressure is just different.  We could not score 300 against similar Aus bowling in 2015 WC final.  this time we scored 350 plus.

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

dont think we were really confident of chasing 338 in final. chasing and final, pressure is just different.  We could not score 300 against similar Aus bowling in 2015 WC final.  this time we scored 350 plus.

That is what I am saying chasing against Pakistan always create pressure whether final or non final. Pressure against Pakistan especially while chasing is always huge and if it's final soney pe suhaga.