Misbah-ul-Haq has been named Pakistan’s head coach and chief selector and Waqar Younis as the bowling coach.

4 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

Ravi Shastri never had coaching credentials when he was made the coach. But the guy was not made a coach after two years of his retirement. He spent many years as a commentator surrounded by people who had there stat sheets. So by that account the guy pretty much knows what he is doing. 

Just because Shastri covered more matches as a commentator than he ever played doesn't make him a know it all person. He is a good man manager & I'd give him that. People like Graham Ford, Clive Rice never had successful careers but played a big part in grooming & developing guys like KP in their formative years.
Statisticians could only provide an overview of what's going around, final decision to give chance to a specific player rests on selectors & most importantly the captain.

Our team is bad that is why our domestic system went through so many changes.

Isn't that the other way around how you are mentioning it? You got to have a strong cricketing structure to keep churning out talented lads to fill the ranks. If the domestic structure is always tampered with by the people sitting at the top then how could you expect a strong team?

The fact its bad you need someone experienced to coach the side. Selecting a player who had retired for two years with plenty of his friends that are still in the team are scary times. Keep in mind Misbah alongside coach Waqar were the ones that suggested Azhar Ali should be our ODI captain. These two same individuals are planning to run our cricket. Misbah has a history of over looking talent for experienced players. The part that worries me is his love for 30+ year olds. I do not want a team full of oldies. If you ever watch his tv analyze its terrible. How am I supposed to find this okay when the guy has shown so many signs of negativity? 

So who were the locally available options which were also experienced? Mohsin 'tea sipping' Khan, Waqar Younis. One of them they outrightly rejected, the second one was made bowling coach. Pak media somehow is always more critical against foreign coaches, their work ethics & guys like G.Lawson, Whatmore, Mickey did a descent job if not good.
Regarding Misbah getting the job so early after his retirement it clearly suggests he's got bosses in his favor, if he doesn't deliver he would be the fall guy. Basically they've put all their eggs in one basket because he is the selector, head coach, would also handle additional responsibility of batting coach.  Btw Waqar as a bowling coach is good, at one point of time he were to become the bowling coach/consultant of West Bengal's Ranji team at Ganguly's insistence but he got the national job.
If you are pissed off at Azhar Ali becoming ODI captain he was the only one who stood up & scored runs against Bangladesh in that series post 2015 WC while his other teammates were embarrassing themselves & Pak wasn't the only team to lose in Bangladesh in 2015. India & SA also lost due to Mustafiz factor.
I haven't seen much of Misbah's TV interviews or debates but he sure is a knowledgeable fellow compared to his peers & many of ex-Pak cricketers who like to embarrass themselves on TV. One thing is damn sure, he will either put things slowly back on track or leave the job with a much bigger challenge for his successors. 

Edited by Turning_track
On 9/4/2019 at 1:48 PM, Shaz1 said:

Honestly I have no idea why would you be upset with how your cricket is run? You guys are already ruling the cricketing world. It is the Pakistan team that is struggling badly. Which is why I feel this decision will comeback to bite us. Misbah is such a oxymoron in our cricket. Expect any mistake by the team to get him even more hate. 

There are some who support him. Its not all Pakistani’s who think like me. I just never liked him from day 1.

The simplest answer I can give you is his hate is like how you guys hate Dhoni. 

See Indian cricket team is way ahead of Pakistan team today and I feel Misbah can do something good for Pakistan cricket team.

Some of the last matches we saw between India and Pakistan were one sided totally.

Waqar and misbah seem to be a very impressive combination.

No one can doubt waqar as a pace bowling coach and if you track misbah..he had a fair career and I guess he was the longest captain of Pakistan team

If he was not worth it..he wouldn't have led Pakistan team for long.

Pakistan batsmen need cool headed batsmen. 

I think Pakistan team will improve under misbah and waqar.

4 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

India team is indeed way ahead of Pakistan today. You guys have put money in the right places to improve your cricket. Seeing fast bowlers emerging for your team is not shocking to me. 

Misbah being the longest captain is what destroyed our cricket. Under him we hardly went past 250 in ODI. He was only good in Test due to him having luxury of Ajmal, and Hafeez. UAE suited our batsmen cause we could play slow as a snail without worrying about fast bowling. Became number 1 Test team for a week and lost it due to India messing up more than us earning it. The dude has no experience in coaching a international team. He is coming in by being a chief selector and head coach. With a new domestic structure. So much pressure on a new guy just cause he's educated. This is asking for a failure.

I think Misbah gave stability to a team that was in a pretty bad shape (in terms of politics, etc) when he took over. Hence, in the early stages, he was the right captain for those turbulent times. But he should have stepped aside sooner and allowed someone else to take over, especially in shorter formats. As for him being a selector and coach, it's too much responsibility and pressure

Misbah and Waqar are excellent choices. Misbah is level headed and the past record of Odi scores under misbah has nothing to do with coaching. As a coach, he needs to transfer that positive energy to the team and bring about a composure which he surely can.

I don't think there's any need to write about Waqar's capabilities. It's like showing candle to the sun. 

On 9/7/2019 at 11:14 PM, Shaz1 said:

If the guy was allowed to develop his coaching skills in domestic to improve his coaching abilities I would understand why he is chosen as the coach. The thing is right now no one knows what he will do. So I am seeing blind optimism by people who are going off his educational background and sincere personality.

Coaching is mostly about man management in International cricket.....he has been captain of that team for year which pretty much shows he had that skill. Rest u can share ur experiences when someone goes through technical issues but u canc hange someone technique to much at this stage. Planning- well u can have 100 plans before the match which can go for a toss within few overs....ultimately its what captain does on field. 

We have started to overrate coaching to much......cricket is a captain's game

5 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Not anymore. While a captain has a role to play on the field, off the field a lot of what player goes through helps them improve as a player.

Its upto an individual 

Kohli improved a lot under this tenure whereas guys like rahane, rahul, vijay all developed technical flaws.....so what can u take out of it. 

Iff off the field improvement matters who better then these 2 

5 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Due to how many clips are out there of batsmen a player has to always improve further. Only a good coach can help them do that. Him as a coach is not my only worry its him as a Chief selector too. The guy has apparently said that age won’t be a factor for selection. So apparently a 35+ year old can get a chance to play for the team. This opens the door to tried and tested failures we happily ignored during Authur’s time. Misbah has changed the ideology of players. They feel they can play till they are 40+.

To be honest age shudnt be factor .......if someone is performing thats what shud matter 

6 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Look Kohli is a exception the drive he has no one in Asia really has. There is a reason this dude is always talked about highly. Kohli himself admitted in an interview no one really tells him if he has flaws he just finds them himself and fixes them. A player like that does not needs a good coach. Where as Rahane, Rahul, and Vijay may need one.

In my opinion you need long term planning for a cricketer. You need to think of it this way if you have a guy whose only gonna be there for 1 or 2 years you are giving him a spot

In test cricket even if someone gives u 1-2 yrs isnt bad....ODi bad....t20 ok coz t20 Wc happens in 2 years

6 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

over a player who could use those years to get off the jittery feeling of International cricket and develop into a long term prospect. Who you will pick constantly as your guy for the playing 11. 

But i dnt get this why u have so many perception of someone who hasnt even started his job

If ur judging him from his captaincy ....well u knw how Pak cricket works.....how much free hand he wud have had then he wud now being a selector. Atleast see for sometime

On 9/7/2019 at 1:34 PM, Vijy said:

I think Misbah gave stability to a team that was in a pretty bad shape (in terms of politics, etc) when he took over. Hence, in the early stages, he was the right captain for those turbulent times. But he should have stepped aside sooner and allowed someone else to take over, especially in shorter formats. As for him being a selector and coach, it's too much responsibility and pressure

I think Pakistan cricket can do worse than Misbah.  But they can also do better.  He's a reasonably decent cricket brain, one in touch with relatively modern cricket tactics etc.  But the "reform" wave in PCB has seen him with way too much on his plate.  And add to that, the PCB have re-jigged their domestic cricket structure - again.  And not necessarily in a good way.  So the deck is already stacked against Misbah. 

Bottomline is this - we are seeing a dominant Indian team with a healthy bench and a robust pipeline of young talent.  Why?  Because in the last 20 years, BCCI has gotten rich.  And has proceeded to share those riches with the players.  A domestic cricketer in India, a guy who is a Ranji regular, and maybe a bench member on the fringes of an IPL team, is going to make a very healthy income.  This fact, more than anything, is the reason why we are seeing so many promising young kids and athletes devote themselves to the game. 

Pakistan, by getting rid of their previous structure, have actually hollowed out their talent base, reduced the number of players, and reduced their incomes.  While Imran is busy celebrating how he has "modernized" domestic Pakistani cricket, they may have hastened its demise.  I don't doubt his intentions, but as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.  Just because you reduce the number  of teams and players, doesn't automatically ensure an increase in quality of those players that still remain.  Especially if the corrupt practices that essentially define how 'business' of everything is done in Pakistan, has very little chance of changing. 

48 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Indeed alongside Nawaz and Faheem. Predictable.

With a "reboot"  in the FC structure its important to send the message that all performers are given a shot.  A slot in the probables doesn't automatically mean that some of these recycled products are sure to make a comeback.

The biggest positive I see in Pak domestic cricket is not the re-structuring, but that they made improvements in the ball and pitches.   That will help.

Just now, Shaz1 said:

r the selection is typical Misbah.

Yes.  He was always focused more on the present than building for the future.  His over-reliance on Yasir Shah is classic example of that.  Most guys tend to repeat their decision patterns over their career.  Pakistan cricket does carry a risk with putting Misbah solely in charge the way they have.  

Add to that, the fact they are very limited in their ability to arrange 'A' tours, due to the problem of reciprocity, is another major hurdle in getting their young prospects the required exposure.   

The flip side of the argument is this - due to the last 15 years of mismanagement - the current pipeline of prospects 'ready' for international cricket is very dry, and they have no choice but to turn to recycling some players.   u19 cricket can give you raw prospects, but A tours and FC cricket are where teams find the 90% of the team in a 3 to 5 year time frame.  

37 minutes ago, Turning_track said:

@Shaz1 How Misbah is going to keep an eye on the domestic matches when he would be along with his team overseas for a long tour? He simply cannot select the team on hearsay.

I think its an attempt to avoid creating dueling power centers in team management.  Every big "name" in Pak cricket thinks of themselves as the hero of the picture.  If you had Misbah as coach, and any other guy as chief selector - it would inevitably lead to ego conflicts, camps etc.  By giving extending head coach Misbah's authority over selection, this is an attempt to centralize that power, and avoid that friction.  Besides, all of Pakistan subscribes to the "savior" syndrome.  They are more ready to believe that one quality leader will take them on the path to glory, instead of investing in stable structures that do so, irrespective of the people involved.