Pick the Indian Lineup v NZ in NZ.

SRT100

On 10/21/2019 at 6:02 AM, SRT100 said:

Given the pace and bounce of NZ wickets, India will be in a tricky situation to get the right combination.

4 pace bowlers is a lock. Jadeja gives the lineup variation and is a decent bat.

Pant gets his chance here, good in SENA conditions and the bowling is mostly pace too.

Here is my thoughts.

Hitman

Mayank

Pujara

Kohli

Rahane

Pant

Jadeja

Ishant

Shami

Yadav

Bumrah

I love Jadeja in tests.  Would play him without hesitation in WI, SA.  In Aus if the weather is hot and its a road.  In Eng and NZ however, I'm not so sure.  Those tracks simply do not provide any grip for the ball, reducing Jaddu to a straight line bowler.  Past bowling stats be damned, I'd pick Ashwin ahead of Jaddu in NZ.  BUT, only if he is 100% fit.  A limping Ashwin that can't put 100% into his action is worse than Jaddu.  I might consider Kuldeep as well.  

While its great we won at home, the real true "Test" is when we play AWAY.

While the bowlers have done well, it is the batting lineup that will be tested significantly away from India. In overseas conditions if you lose 3-4 wickets cheaply, there is generally no coming back from that. You could argue the same happens in India for visiting teams, if India gets you 3-4 wickets down quickly, youre in deep deep trouble.

12 hours ago, SRT100 said:

While its great we won at home, the real true "Test" is when we play AWAY.

While the bowlers have done well, it is the batting lineup that will be tested significantly away from India. In overseas conditions if you lose 3-4 wickets cheaply, there is generally no coming back from that. You could argue the same happens in India for visiting teams, if India gets you 3-4 wickets down quickly, youre in deep deep trouble.

Bowling will also be tested. Let's not forget that the same attack of Bumrah, Shami, Ishant was not unplayable at all times in overseas cycle of 2018, its irrational to expect these 3 to blast out 20 wickets each test. Even an attack of McGrath, Gillespie, Lee needed a Warne to end a stubborn partnership, take advantage of 4-5th day rough etc. Where is our Warne or even Lyon/Swann for that matter in SENA conditions? Jadeja can do a steady holding job at best, Ashwin is just too inconsistent and impatient overseas (and his fitness to bowl 30-40 overs in tough overseas conditions is also questionable now)...Kuldeep was our answer, but he seems to have been discarded by this TM. 

On 10/22/2019 at 6:35 PM, Sandeep99 said:

Rohit

Mayank

Pujara

Kohli (c)

Rahane

Pant (k)

Jadeja

Bhuvi

Ishant

Shami

Bumrah

Reserves - Vihari, Gill, Umesh, Ashwin

i really like it considring how flat NZ decks become during 3rd n 4th innings......going with this lineup wont be a bad idea

In reserve - i wnt take umesh but saini instead....umesh isnt a same bowler with kookabura specially on flat or green tracks. He is only good in India 

On 10/21/2019 at 3:51 PM, Gollum said:

They will provide greentops meaning we have to go in with the 2018 Jo'berg mindset...4 quicks+Pandya. Pant to keep wickets (sorry Saha :((), BK will have to play for his new ball skills and batting. Let Jaddu be in the squad as substitute fielder, but no spinner needs to be played in the XI. Vihari to open like in Aus (horses for courses) and he can bowl a few overs of spin to manage over rate and give rest to quicks. Don't need dashers like Hitman (Boult :laugh:), Shaw on green mambas...aim for openers should be to see off new ball spell. Vihari's 15 (70) will be more valuable than dasher's 30 (40)...besides Vihari's main problem is hostile short stuff...won't see that over there, line/length of attack will be like the WC SF :nervous:

Mayank

Vihari

Che

Kohli

Rahane

Pant 

Pandya

Bhuvi

Ishant

Shami

Bumrah

Any other combo and we will lose, guarantee. 

In tests over 60% of Bhuvis wickets are with the old ball. and I dont think bumrah should be played before the Aus series 

On 10/23/2019 at 12:52 AM, Nikhil_cric said:

I'd play

Shaw

Mayank

Che

Virat

Rahane

Vihari

Pant

Ash/jadeja(whoever is bowling better in warmups/nets and NZ is the worst place for spinners)

Bumrah

Ishant

Shami

Now why bumrah should play before aus series. He needs his rest 

On 10/24/2019 at 9:18 AM, rtmohanlal said:

the contribution of Pujara will decide the series.  Since the  AUS series, he seems  again back to his normal 'once in a blue moon'   mode.

Hope he rise to the occasion as he did in AUS.

xactly how pujara , rahane, openers do will decide the fate.....kohli scores overseas most of the times . We won in aus coz others stepped up