Shakib Al Hasan receives two year ban from all cricket, with one year suspended, after accepting three charges of breaching the ICC Anti-Corruption Code

Most high profile player to fall in the fixing menace since Azhar and Cronje. What a way to throw away all the stardom. The guy must be among the richest Bangaldeshis yet does such a foolish act.

It also highlights another case of bookies being active in IPL while BCCI honchos keep pretending as if all is well. If only the 2013 IPL spot fixing was taken to it's logical conclusion and not just ended with some players getting banned for life. There does appear to be a lot of muck in the whole tournament and not sure if BCCI has enough checks and balances to ensure no underhand dealings are happening.

12 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Most high profile player to fall in the fixing menace since Azhar and Cronje. What a way to throw away all the stardom. The guy must be among the richest Bangaldeshis yet does such a foolish act.

It also highlights another case of bookies being active in IPL while BCCI honchos keep pretending as if all is well. If only the 2013 IPL spot fixing was taken to it's logical conclusion and not just ended with some players getting banned for life. There does appear to be a lot of muck in the whole tournament and not sure if BCCI has enough checks and balances to ensure no underhand dealings are happening.

Lets see if Ganguly can do something here. Wait he was in KKR and DC. Nothing to see here folks. keep moving :laugh:

31 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Lets see if Ganguly can do something here. Wait he was in KKR and DC. Nothing to see here folks. keep moving :laugh:

As a mentor, he had no powers. As BCCI president, he has all the powers in the world to bring around the changes he wants.

He rid our national side of the fixing menace in 2000-01, if anyone can do the same for IPL, it's him (despite Srini's shadow looming large)

42 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

As a mentor, he had no powers. As BCCI president, he has all the powers in the world to bring around the changes he wants.

He rid our national side of the fixing menace in 2000-01, if anyone can do the same for IPL, it's him (despite Srini's shadow looming large)

As far as I'm concerned the fixing nexus, or mafia if you will, is much bigger than Ganguly or BCCI themselves. I'm pretty certain if there is organized fixing going on, a big if mind you, he won't be able to put a stop to it.

I don't remember this, when did he do that?

57 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Credit should go to the BCCI administrator at that time. I think it was Jagmohan Dalmiya. Gagnuly was just the captain of the Indian side. Also on a sidenote, Srini is a good punching bag they put his name out there but I believe there is a bigger gang in IPL. Nobody questions hitman's jiju. Most of the fixing connections started in Mumbai in the old days and have spread to other areas now. This aggarwal guy happened to contact Shakib whilst he was playing in IPL.

3 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

one of them even said there was a bookie talking with kohli in one of the matches. when another presumably indian questioned about this bookie, no reply was given :phehe: Some even equated this to ball tampering by smith and warner which is a minor offense compared to bookies and match fixing. The comments about BCB may have some value. In any case, he didn't fix matches just failed to report the bookies. Also @Zero_Unit mentioned security issues for players in asian countries is not guaranteed and there is no provision by ICC. Just slap a fine and let him play. Bang without Shakib will make a boring test series.

If that's the case, why in the world would ICC even expect the players to notify of bookies when their life could actually be in danger. Kinda shooting themselves on their own feet with their own rules here ...

If I was in a players shoe and a bookie approached me, I would be extremely scared, especially if I get no protection after reporting.

The reference to "work" in this message was about providing inside information to Aggarwal.

On January 23, 2018, Shakib received another message from Aggarwal "Bro anything in this series?"

Shakib confirmed that the message was about providing Aggarwal information about the ongoing Tri-Series.

The all-rounder did not report this to the ACU or any other anti-corruption authority.

Shakib was also in contact with Aggarwal during the 2018 IPL and received messages from the bookie for information.

Aggarwal also messaged Shakib about bitcoins, dollar accounts, and asked him for his account details. During this conversation, Shakib told Aggarwal that he wanted to meet him "first".

32-year-old Shakib was banned from all forms of cricket on Tuesday after he accepted the charges of breaching the ICC's Anti-Corruption Code.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/news/bro-anything-in-this-series-bookies-conversation-with-shakib-released/amp_articleshow/71815790.cms

Edited by beetle
7 hours ago, Zero_Unit said:

If that's the case, why in the world would ICC even expect the players to notify of bookies when their life could actually be in danger. Kinda shooting themselves on their own feet with their own rules here ...

If I was in a players shoe and a bookie approached me, I would be extremely scared, especially if I get no protection after reporting.

On point. Local authorities and local criminals' mentality varies from country to country. As usual, ICC doesn't take this into consideration. its an inept body

This story like all the other fixing stories is incomplete.  A lot more has not been disclosed. 

Who was the person who provided Shakib's private contact information to the bookie?  

How did the ICC anti-fixing regime become aware of this?  

Why wasn't this disclosed earlier?  Did the toyger board get the ICC to keep a lid on it, and once the board got into conflict with the toyger players including Shakib, did they undo their cover-up?  

My gut tells me that Shakib owned up and came clean on only some of the charges - and he's probably guilty of more.  The 1 year ban smacks of  a compromise deal worked out behind closed doors.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:30 PM, Cricketics said:

If he did not report it, he can easily challenge since player can feel scared to report anything these days. I think 2 years ban or even anything more than 6 months is extremely harsh for someone who did not fix any game. 

On 10/30/2019 at 4:23 AM, Zero_Unit said:

That's actually a very good point. I always wondered how ICC protects their player after they report such incident. I am certain that some of the bookies has mafia/gang/etc relation and could Infact threaten family and friends life. What plans do they have in a situation like that? Anyone knows

17 hours ago, Zero_Unit said:

Icc has a provision where you can report such approaches anonymously. The bookie will not be directly approached or investigated by ICC. Players will just be warned long term about the bookie without even taking the bookies name. The players name will never be revealed even if found later. The bookie will not know ICC has done anything 

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

This story like all the other fixing stories is incomplete.  A lot more has not been disclosed. 

Who was the person who provided Shakib's private contact information to the bookie?  

How did the ICC anti-fixing regime become aware of this?  

Why wasn't this disclosed earlier?  Did the toyger board get the ICC to keep a lid on it, and once the board got into conflict with the toyger players including Shakib, did they undo their cover-up?  

My gut tells me that Shakib owned up and came clean on only some of the charges - and he's probably guilty of more.  The 1 year ban smacks of  a compromise deal worked out behind closed doors.

Do you really think BCB has that sort if power over ICC? BCCI I can believe can force ICC to keep a lid if it was their player, but BCB?

3 hours ago, Singh bling said:

Did Bookie approached him for throwing match or was he offering money so Bangladesh can play well

What downfall Bookies has , from approaching invincible SA in 2000 to approaching BD which anyway is going to loose 99/100 matches

Clealery the bookie wanted spot fixing information on other teams and players from Shakib. Follow the conversation 

3 hours ago, New guy said:

Do you really think BCB has that sort if power over ICC? BCCI I can believe can force ICC to keep a lid if it was their player, but BCB?

BCB supported Giles Clarke instead of BCCI in the recent boardroom battles - those boardroom favors count, and are reciprocated.