INDIA A tour of New Zealand

shortbread

57 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Shankar, Bharat, Easwaran, Panchal....collective face of Ranji mediocrity.

Agree.

For quite some time now, there seems to be great excitement regarding and promotion of every performer in domestic cricket or the IPL.

Domestic cricket performances are important and should be too. But to build a really good team in international cricket ... it is the performances of international type players which should assume importance. Like Bumrah doing well in FC.

Batsmen who have that extra bit of time to play the quick bowlers ... who have the gift of sweet timing ... look good against short balls ... have a good idea where their off stump is ... can handle spin etc.  And are performing in FC or List A as the case might be.  (  most of these qualities and not necessary all of them )

Pacers who have extra pace or bounce / height or preferably both.   Have a well developed stock ball and short ball. Get some zip off the deck. Are reasonably accurate. Can move the ball too. And are performing in FC / List A.

Spinners who get turn and bounce ... or get a lot of zip and bounce at fastish pace. And are performing in FC / List A.

Question is ... are these qualities being gauged in recent times. ??

If so then how are so many mediocre players representing India and India A. ?   How are the Chahars and Thakur and Panchals  coming through  with so much genuine talent around  ?

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Gill  83 off 83 balls.

Has the ability to score very fast in FC despite being a solid player with high average.

It's not difficult to score quickly when field setting is attacking. Just needs to place the ball and its four. 

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Why is Gill batting at 4. ?

The only weak spots in the test team are the slots of openers.

Gill was opening earlier and got selected as an opener in the test squad too.  Should have continued.

I would want to gill to play in middle order. Openers are sacrificial lambs overseas. He also doesn't have that great a technique to be an opener.

Just now, sarchasm said:

Read his full post, and understand the point he's making. Why do you have this itch to just mindlessly reply?

And my point SR is irrelevant in long format. You don't pick players based on SR. Gill has not had a great Ranji season till now, averaging 35. Also, he isn't that solid a batsman. He is a stroke player.

2 hours ago, sarchasm said:

For months I have heard posters here and in articles on cricinfo quoting former players that this KS Bharat fellow was some sort of viable Pant replacement. Without checking his numbers, I assumed he must be averaging 50 or thereabouts in FC although at a much lower SR.

Today I learnt this 27 year old spud averages 36. How did his stocks rise so much?

Apparently he is in the Saha mode, an excellent keeper.  Haven't seen him keep though.

However, given that his rise coincided with MSK Prasad's tenure as Chief Selector, I will not be surprised to see him gradually fade away from the A team scene.

1 hour ago, sarchasm said:

Indian bowlers bowled short. This was a green mamba and NZ bowlers consistently pitched it up and let the track do the rest. Our coach and bowlers were dumb enough to not pick this up. I watched about 10 overs from Siraj, Porel and Warrier - NZ batsmen were happily camping on backfoot.

Targeting the top of off is so basic ... but how often do we see pacers forgetting it even at higher levels. !

6 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

mayank picked a terrible time to go out of form,now we have to walking wickets up top.

For an opener, he ends up playing at too many deliveries outside off. Really needs to tighten up as more teams will start noticing this and challenging him there. Aus bowlers in the next tour won't let off if this continues.