Verdict on Iyer-KL duo?

Gollum

Rahul at No 5 is an absolute lock for me.

A perfect No.5 batsman.

Can hit big shots at will off both pacers and spinners.  Can improvise too at the end.

Has the game to be a very high quality finisher.

Bats at a high SR at 5 in ODIs ( and opener in T20s )  ... bats at a lowish SR as an opener in ODIs.

Can start scoring from ball one when he comes as a No.5

Has the solid game to arrest any batting collapses.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:46 PM, Gollum said:

Iyer is working on his leg spin in the nets, want to see the captain trust him more.  

In my opinion given the tracks, ground and bat size days of batsman who can bowl a bit are gone. You need 5 proper bowler and pray 2 of them can bat a bit. 

8 minutes ago, Cricspin said:

Pant is just  not as talented as Rahul is. doesn't have the range of shots or the technique. 

However hes good in his own way and should have been playing  this entire series  rather than warming the bench.

pant pref one area more then other doesnt mean he lacks shot range.....he has a huge shot range 

Its just about understanding ur game which is when a batsman hits his peak . The more he ll play the more range he ll develop.

PPl forget when KL came he was a proper test batsman, its after few years he developed a whole new side to him 

7 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

after KLR's middle order exploits in that t20 in Florida I always saw him as a middle order player (especially considering strength of our 1-3 in ODIs and his wk abilities). Dhoni Saab delayed all that. 

how did dhoni delayed it ???

Next series was vs NZ at home and KL got injured in test series played before ODI . The Next ODI series we played Kohli became captain

Iyer and KL are looking very good for 4 and 5.

Iyer has shortcomings against express pace short pitch stuff but so did the likes of Gambhir and Ganguly.

We have not found a #6. Hardik would be one position too high at 6.

Pandey and Pant have not shown they are the answer. Need someone who can score a 60 off 75 balls if we are in trouble and 30 off 15 if we just need the finish. Pandey can do the former but not the latter and vice-versa for Pant.

And ideally the #6 can bowl a bit and field well. Essentially you are looking for a slightly inferior version of KL with some bowling.

Only one who may fit these params and has not been given a chance is Suryakumar Yadav.

Can't believe people r questioning Iyer's ability.  Even Captain Loli has shortcomings (can't play cut shot).  Iyer may not look most pleasing but he finds a way to score. He looks to me the only guy in batting deptt who is not a mental midget.  Might turn out a excellent future captain too keeps a calm head & has immense confidence.  People need to look at his knock vs visiting Aussies before 2017 test series.  Blasted Lyon & o keefe on a turner. Proper one man show

Can't believe people r questioning Iyer's ability.  Even Captain Loli has shortcomings (can't play cut shot).  Iyer may not look most pleasing but he finds a way to score. He looks to me the only guy in batting deptt who is not a mental midget.  Might turn out a excellent future captain too keeps a calm head & has immense confidence.  People need to look at his knock vs visiting Aussies before 2017 test series.  Blasted Lyon & o keefe on a turner. Proper one man show

45 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

This will be iyer test in long run......he really gets in awkward position n looses his timing 

One can make a 40 seconds long video and portray any batsman in bad light. How was Steve Waugh against short balls? Didn't stop him from being super clutch against the fearsome RSA pace attack in the 90s. 

37 minutes ago, Gollum said:

One can make a 40 seconds long video and portray any batsman in bad light. How was Steve Waugh against short balls? Didn't stop him from being super clutch against the fearsome RSA pace attack in the 90s. 

that depends on individual....same problem can make u waugh or raina , duminy , shehzad, kambli

thats what his test wud be ....if he is meant to be a great player he ll go waugh way. Even ganguly with all the issue did well in cricket . 

But this an issue that can be seriously exploited plus i feel biggest problem with him can be if somehow he slips the competition behind likes of gill might make it tough to comeback . Neways thats a long scenario, but yea this will be his test 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03