Yashasvi Jaiswal for the 2023 WC

Mariyam

Is it realistic to expect Jaiswal to be a regular for the 2023 WC?

On the basis of what little ( the semi finals and the finals of the U19 world cup) I've seen of him: the guy seems like the answer to our current batting woes. He has grit. He paces his innings well even when the rest of the batting order around him is collapsing, he can accelerate when required. No rash shots. Big game temperament.

No one in our current senior side is as composed. Or probably that hungry for success.

I understand that there is a gulf between an U19 tournament and senior international cricket. Just yesterday, he scored 185 in an U23 tournament against Puducherry.

Lets discuss his prospects/ track his progress here.

Yes, I wld look at him as a replacement for dhawan who is likely to fade before 2023 WC. Jaiswal's leg-spinning bowling is a huge plus in a team where none of the other batsmen can turn their arm over.

Rohit

Jaiswal

Kohli

Shreyas

KL

Pant/Gill

Pandya

Jadeja (as WC'23 is in India)

Kuldeep/ R Chahar

Shami/Saini/Bhuvi (depending on form)

Bumrah

BUT biggest change which is needed - Rohit or Shreyas as captain.

Edited by Cricwala

Lets keep team politics aside. I'm talking from a pure skill acquisition point of view.

Is it possible for a talented youngster to raise his game from the U-19 level to the senior international level in a span of 2-3 years? Have there been any such precedents?

Given that there is a great rush for opening/one down spots in our ODI set up, will he get ample chance to play the necessary number of ODIs?

On 2/24/2020 at 12:18 PM, Sandeep99 said:

Doesn’t matter. As long as the fake fcker is the captain, we will continue to suck. No matter who plays. He is the single most panauti in our history. 

Very true. Under Wrogn's watch, there's a snowball's chance in hell these youngsters get a chance to shine. Also, under 19 success can be misleading. Jaiswal lost to BD in the final. Unmukt Chand, who played a matchwinning century in the final, is nowhere to be found. Ian Chappell was so impressed by him, he called for his inclusion in the senior squad without any delay. He also felt similarly about an off-spinner in that same team and he too is out of the radar completely, after some off field issue related to non reporting or something about bookies.

Edited by nevada
36 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@nevada

The final was against Bangladesh.

Jaiswal had a very good innings of 88/89, at a time when the entire batting order around him failed to leave any mark. Once he got out, the rest of the batting order collapsed in under 25 runs.

I don't think that innings can be viewed as a failure.

Thanks for the correction. Not saying it was a failure innings, but it was not a matchwinning one either. I do hope Jaiswal has a successful career at senior level. 

2 hours ago, nevada said:

Very true. Under Wrogn's watch, there's a snowball's chance in hell these youngsters get a chance to shine. Also, under 19 success can be misleading. Jaiswal lost to BD in the final. Unmukt Chand, who played a matchwinning century in the final, is nowhere to be found. Ian Chappell was so impressed by him, he called for his inclusion in the senior squad without any delay. He also felt similarly about an off-spinner in that same team and he too is out of the radar completely, after some off field issue related to non reporting or something about bookies.

Wish Dhoni behaved similarly with this ungrateful fcker back in 2008. Would he have come all the way if he wasn’t provided ample opportunities when all the people in India were calling for his head. Bratass lacks vision and common sense. Uneducated illiterate. 

Edited by Sandeep99
3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Lets keep team politics aside. I'm talking from a pure skill acquisition point of view.

Is it possible for a talented youngster to raise his game from the U-19 level to the senior international level in a span of 2-3 years? Have there been any such precedents?

Given that there is a great rush for opening/one down spots in our ODI set up, will he get ample chance to play the necessary number of ODIs?

Shaheen shah afridi became world class within 2 years after debuting in last U19 WC. So yes it's possible, but in India we don't believe in giving extensive period of chances to talented youngsters.

@Scar I get the gist of your comment. 

However,

• Afridi made his debut in an U19? Afridi is not the role model I'd want any youngster to follow. In his 20+ years as a cricketer, Afridi's basic batting skill set remained the same. Not a much improved version of his debut form. His spin bowling was quite good towards the end of his career. Also he would click once in 10 games, batting wise. Obviously we are looking at a more dependable player in Jaiswal. 
  • Pakistan do not have a structured approach to nurture talent. Its easier to make a senior debut if there is no system in place. India has a system in place. So I was looking for more examples from the Indian set up.

PS: last under 19 WC? 

Edited by Mariyam
5 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

However,

• Afridi made his debut in an U19? Afridi is not the role model I'd want any youngster to follow. In his 20+ years as a cricketer, Afridi's basic batting skill set remained the same. Not a much improved version of his debut form. His spin bowling was quite good towards the end of his career. Also he would click once in 10 games, batting wise. Obviously we are looking at a more dependable player in Jaiswal. 
  • Pakistan do not have a structured approach to nurture talent. Its easier to make a senior debut if there is no system in place. India has a system in place. So I was looking for more examples from the Indian set up.

I think the reference was to Shahin Afridi, the new pace bowler, not THE Afridi.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

However,

He referred to Shaheen Afridi  who was not as good as Mavi/Nagarkoti in 2018 u19 WC. Not the Shahid Duckfridi at whom the whole world laughs

Edited by Sandeep99
2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

However,

As others have already pointed out, there's another Afridi in town now. Apparently, he's doing very well for PKT even though he wasn't as good against Gill and Shaw back in semis against our boys.