Why do North Indians remain aloof of South Indian culture and society despite living there for decades?

Trichromatic

As @velu mentioned most Gujjus,Marwaris and I will add Sikhs to that list usually assimilate with the local culture.

If you speak about North Indians specifically, we need to understand most of the BIMARU folk are illiterate and labor types, so it’s not like they are really bothered with expanding their cultural palette. Their first priority is to work for the next meal.

Then we have Punjabis. Most of these are from Army and other  defense services . So they get posted  to a different place every 3-4 years, so they don’t really get into the culture. However shout out to the army brats though who are usually multi-lingual or have the appreciation of other cultures @beetle

Then we have the Delhi Punjabi types. These are the same folk whose Muslim cousins  went to the other side, tried to impose Urdu over their mother tounge and make fun of the rest of the cultures, so I don’t think we need to use them as a sample set.

Edited by maniac

16 minutes ago, maniac said:

As @velu mentioned most Gujjus,Marwaris and I will add Sikhs to that list usually assimilate with the local culture.

If you speak about North Indians specifically, we need to understand most of the BIMARU folk are illiterate and labor types, so it’s not like they are really bothered with expanding their cultural palette. Their first priority is to work for the next meal.

Then we have Punjabis. Most of these are from Army and other  defense services . So they get posted  to a different place every 3-4 years, so they don’t really get into the culture. However shout out to the army brats though who are usually multi-lingual or have the appreciation of other cultures @beetle

Then we have the Delhi Punjabi types. These are the same folk whose Muslim cousins  went to the other side, tried to impose Urdu over their mother tounge and make fun of the rest of the cultures, so I don’t think we need to use them as a sample set.

Even educated northies working in IT sector of South don't assimilate. Not necessarily poor people from Bihar UP. 

26 minutes ago, maniac said:

Wasn't Hyderabad state ruled by minority till even after independence, to be later liberated by the Indian(partly belongs to 'bimaru' states you should know) army? Yet calls fellow Indians bimaru etc. while claiming 'Delhi punjabi types' make fun of rest of the cultures. respect is given by calling fellow countrymen bimaru??

3 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Even educated northies working in IT sector of South don't assimilate. Not necessarily poor people from Bihar UP. 

Look it’s a matter of choice. I have a problem with the types who have a chip on their shoulder and think they are better than everyone and hence look down upon other cultures and languages.  Not denying those types still exist.

However  Hyd, Chennai and Bengaluru  are all big metropolitan cities, so maybe there is no need to go out of your way and learn the language to survive, so it could just be  that it was never a matter of necessity.

I have a problem if someone has a bias but I don’t think if they don’t really need to you can’t enforce it on people.

Things have differently changed from the time I was growing up. People are definitely more familiar with South Indian movies and stars. Dubbed south Movies are popular on Tv and on YouTube. IPL’s 4 most popular teams are CSK, RCB, SRH and MI which has Vizag as its 2nd venue.

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

Not restricted just to language, but there is general lack of awareness towards local customs, culture also. 

Overall they don't try to assimilate. 

Languages are the keys to unlocking the doors of society. To understand people, you must understand their language. Which is why people with non-tamil/malyali backgrounds are typically seen as 'aloof' - they don't need the language, nor do they bother learning it.

There's not much of a need to 'assimilate'. South india isn't some homogeneous territory, and its still in india. A north indian doesn't feel 'foreign' in the south, and vice versa. There's enough in common between people to facilitate interaction. It's not like you're visiting china or the UK.

55 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Koi jabardasti nai hai, just asking ki kyu nai hai interest? Kya karan hai? Also same north Indians show interest in culture and customs when they go to foreign lands. What's the reason?

Tthey don't show any interest. That's one of the reasons for immigration being a contentious issue in the west

3 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Wasn't Hyderabad state ruled by minority till even after independence, to be later liberated by the Indian(partly belongs to 'bimaru' states you should know) army? Yet calls fellow Indians bimaru etc. while claiming 'Delhi punjabi types' make fun of rest of the cultures. respect is given by calling fellow countrymen bimaru??

Bimaru is an acronym for Bihar,MP,Rajasthan and UP.

I have been asked more ignorant questions by Delhi Punjabi’s for being a South Indian on more than a few occasions or at times have said something ignorant around me because they didn’t know I was from the South than I have faced in USA for being an Indian Hindu. I apologize for the generalization but you base things on personal experiences and witnesses.

Also what does Indian Army liberating Hyderabad have to do with anything here? My family is from partly Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh which was part of the Madras state. I am proud of the army as many of my family members  are in it. So what exactly was your point there?

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

I have been asked more ignorant questions by Delhi Punjabi’s for being a South Indian on more than a few occasions or at times have said something ignorant around me because they didn’t know I was from the South than I have faced in USA for being an Indian Hindu. I apologize for the generalization but you base things on personal experiences and witnesses.

Also what does Indian Army liberating Hyderabad have to do with anything here? My family is from partly Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh which was part of the Madras state. I am proud of the army as many of my family members  are in it. So what exactly was your point there?

The point: a hypocrite is a hypocrite is a hypocrite... he won't say bimaru is offensive... I guess 'bimaru' states should start calling AP/Telangana 'phattu' state for being ruled by minority when their surrounding states were not....what a harmonious atmosphere it will create in the country.

Edited by randomGuy

6 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

The point: a hypocrite is a hypocrite is a hypocrite... he won't say bimaru is offensive... I guess 'bimaru' states should start calling AP/Telangana 'phattu' state for being ruled by minority when their surrounding states were not....what a harmonious atmosphere it will create in the country.

you can call Andhra/Telangana whatever you want. That will only show your gripe lol. However BIMARU is not a word coined by me nor it was a South Indian leave alone someone from Andhra/Telangana coin it. 

You are just rambling here. Don’t quote me unless you have something of substance.

Just now, maniac said:

you can call Andhra/Telangana whatever you want. That will only show your gripe lol. However BIMARU is not a word coined by me nor it was a South Indian leave alone someone from Andhra/Telangana coin it. 

You are just rambling here. Don’t quote me unless you have something of substance.

Lol... hypocrite...you don't have to coin the term to know that it's offensive...I never use it coz it is offensive, not coined by me either ..

2 things it shows

1. What a hypocrite you are... sorry but I have to use this word.

2. Regionalist would demand respect for their culture... which I agree with...but often do not show sensibility towards other parts of their motherland. You showed it above...the idiot @rageaddict shoes it more often

19 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Will narrow down to one peculiar community, the majority one in India.

Hindus should unite, should take the initiative to learn about cultures/history of other states...for the last two millennia only one thing has been common in what constitutes present day India, and that ain't language or cuisine. Adi Sankara revived our religion from ICU and established 4 maths in 4 corners of India, why? Ramanuja, Chaitanya, Mirabai, Surdas, Tulsidas, Kalidas, Kabir, Basavanna, Ramakrishna Paramhans, Avvaiyar, Andal, Tukaram, Sankardev, Vivekananda, Tyagaraja all hailed from different parts at different times but what united them? Indian Muslims are united despite difference in language, ethnicity, caste etc. Even Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists show more unity than Hindus, big drawback in our religion....fellow dharmics are doing better, what stops us?

Forget about trivial stuff like movies, language, food, politics, y'all don't need to know that. But we all share history/culture/customs....there might have been deviations over time but lot more in common. For starters a Northie based in South should aim to visit as many temples, maths, pilgrimage centres as possible, that is one core part of our dharma which still survives in South and not North, obviously because of Islamic invasions. Even oral traditions, scriptures, Hindu architecture in South are still standing, onus to preserve all of that rests on the shoulders of every Hindu in India and not just the local Kannadigas or Tamils. Our idiots go to Europe, USA, Australia and can't stop raving about 50 year old buildings there, but same *ers won't go visit 2000 yo shrines, architectural marvels still preserved in fantastic condition, that too 20 km away from their residence in Hitec city or Whitefield. Aise chewtiyon ko jitna gaali doon, utna kam. Won't spend 20 bucks to preserve our great (ancient) traditions be it a folk dance, puppetry, handicrafts, martial arts or jallikattu, no they are ashamed of all that, sometimes want it banned....similar stuff of more recent vintage in China, Spain or Morocco and they go into collective orgasm.

Even kattar Hindus from various parts had a problem with Sabarimala rules, animal sacrifice in NE, Kambala, Jallikattu, no understanding of our region specific traditions and culture integral to religion. Not just limited to Northies, even Bengalis, Southies, Marathis who work in some other corner of the country must go beyond his/her comfort zone, only that way can we ever emerge strong, otherwise with one billion adherents of Hinduism, what is our aukaat before Christians, Muslims, Jews, even Buddhists? But we are ever ready to run each other down, twist the knives in the backs of others because of regionalism, ego, inferiority complex....

And FFS people must learn more about history of other regions, not the barbaric Islamic past but the dharmic history. The great Ranas (cavalry, courage) belong as much to a Southie as the mighty Cholas (masters of the sea) to the Rajasthanis, as Lachit Borphukan (saviour of NE from Aurangzeb's Mughals) to a Bihari, as Krishnadevaraya (largest non-Islamic empire in medieval India, presided over our culture's zenith in that otherwise dark era) to a Jammu Dogra, and so on and so forth. They are common heroes, know more about them, visit historical sites associated with them on weekends, talk to locals about them and listen, try catching hold of books about them and visit local museums to build on knowledge, honour their greatness and countless sacrifices to uphold dharma. To those in Bengaluru-Chennai-Hyderabad region, this part of India is a goldmine to explore our dharmic past. Nothing sickens me more than the sight of an average Hindu parroting the entire Mughal lineage but unable to distinguish between Maratha, Chola, Chera, Pandya, Vijayanagara, Gupta etc. How is the largest Hindu temple in Cambodia, why is there such a strong Hindu influence in SE Asia that Indonesia Prez names his grandson Narendra.....who made this possible? There are other ancient epics in India, why do people not know beyond Ramayan/Mahabharat? Never seen a group of people as disconnected from their past as our chewts, and it is apparently cool to wallow in ignorance. 

Spot on. I couldn't believe the amount of resistance we got for Jallikattu. It was shameful.

How many temples have you visited in TN???

18 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Lol... hypocrite...you don't have to coin the term to know that it's offensive...I never use it coz it is offensive, not coined by me either ..

2 things it shows

1. What a hypocrite you are... sorry but I have to use this word.

2. Regionalist would demand respect for their culture... which I agree with...but often do not show sensibility towards other parts of their motherland. You showed it above...the idiot @rageaddict shoes it more often

In the past I have been critical of a lot of qualities of people from my state too. 

I don’t have to be patronizing to anyone to come across as a noble saint. We all have our biases and generalizations and I clearly said that was based on my personal experiences.

In the context of the topic read again what I wrote, I am in fact defending people from other states why they are not able to learn the native language.

The ones with prejudice are in the minority and from my experience I am tracing  it to a group I have had not so great experiences with in terms of being well versed with other cultures. Not sure why you are taking it personally.

Edited by maniac

41 minutes ago, maniac said:

That's not a north indian thing, its just a delhi thing.

Delhi people are very direct and straight-forward. My family is bihari, and we occasionally hear people talking **** about biharis. And i catch them saying the same things about others. There's no malice intended obviously, you can't take it personally.

Edited by Manny_Pacquiao

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

In the past I have been critical of a lot of qualities of people from my state too. 

I don’t have to be patronizing to anyone to come across as a noble saint. We all have our biases and generalizations and I clearly said that was based on my personal experiences.

In the context of the topic read again what I wrote, I am in fact defending people from other states why they are not able to learn the native language.

The ones with prejudice are in the minority and from my experience I am tracing  it to a group I have had not so great experiences with in terms of being well versed with other cultures. Not sure why you are taking it personally.

Not being disrespectful does not mean being patronizing.

Bimaru comes from Bimar which means 'sick' .  I am sure you know. It is offensive, nothing subjective in that. You won't find it used anywhere in mainstream media....but you found it once and remembered it forever to use it precisely because it is offensive and are hiding behind the excuse that it is an acronym.

16 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

That's not a north indian thing, its just a delhi thing.

Delhi people are very direct and straight-forward. My family is bihari, and we occasionally hear people talking **** about biharis. And i catch them saying the same things about others. There's no malice intended obviously, you can't take it personally.

Arre bol de bhai....I agree hum dilli wale chewtiye hain...but things getting better (infact got better quite fast). .. when I was little, bihari was a gaali ..it's  not anymore. 

48 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Spot on. I couldn't believe the amount of resistance we got for Jallikattu. It was shameful.

How many temples have you visited in TN???

More than temples, I will spell out regions since as you know there are so many temples in Tamil Nadu's towns and cities.

- Thanjavur/Kumbakonam....covered a lot including Brihadeeshwara temple, even explored a few village temples on the outskirts (like Uppiliyappan, Nachiyar Koil, huge Rahu Ketu temple in a village whose name I can't remember), must have gone to 20-30 temples

- Madurai...incl Meenakshi Amman

- Kanchipuram....one day stay, so visited just 5-6 temples

- Mahabalipuram's Pallava temples....visited many times almost every week when I was in Kalpakkam..nearby and along ECR, no good restaurant in the township so that was a reason

- Vaitheeswaran Koil...I got tonsured there :laugh:

- Kanyakumari...multiple temples main one being the Shakti Peeth

- Thiruvannamalai....incl walk around the hill

- Palani

- Chennai and outskirts...least visits here, Kaalikambal, Vadapalani Murugan temple (though purpose of visit was the Saravana Bhavan outlet there :p:), couple in Chengalpattu, few others but don't remember the names, just the parts of the city.

Can you believe it, me yet to visit Kapaleeswarar, Parthasarathy which are so iconic.

-Many others in isolated villages/towns, mostly during the trips from Chennai to other places, a few detours here and there.

Palani, Thiruvannamalai, Vaitheeswaran and Kanyakumari I visited during school days when family was on a tourist trip to TN. Even Thanjavur but I revisited it in 2016, all the other places post-2012-13. 

Eager to visit Srirangam, Rameswaram, Nagercoil, Chidambaram, Vellore etc. 

Me more or less an agnostic, cultural Hindu. Didn't visit these places for devotional reasons, but to appreciate the architectural beauty and cultural richness. I did some research before/during these visits including reading up about the Cholas, Pallavas, Nayanars, Alvars etc, a couple of classmate notebooks full of details, history, experience, pics, tradition, rituals somewhere in my store room. It was an educational experience for me. 

Edited by Gollum

Next time more than temples, I would like to visit the Kallanai Dam, an ancient marvel almost 2000 years old built by Karikala Cholan (Early Cholas) and still standing today, one of the greatest architectural feats in human history.

@Stan AF I also visited Trichy during school days, the famous Rockfort temple being a highlight. 

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@Stan AF you live in Chennai? Have you stayed in other cities or countries like that rascal velu?

No brother. I am not from Chennai. Western TN. And Yes I've lived in other countries(country). 

Edited by Stan AF