Why do North Indians remain aloof of South Indian culture and society despite living there for decades?

Trichromatic

One can say that when you stay in cities like Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai, it's is manageable even after remaining aloof, but recently realized that there is in general lack of intent and interest among north Indians to be familiar with south Indian culture, language, people etc.

1. Despite living in cities for almost 10 years, people don't know more than 3-4 words of local language. I have a friend who learnt Telugu in 6 months although she never needed it.

2. Not much familiarity with local customs.

3. Not much familiarity with society, places outside city or tourist locations, demographics or political, anyway these are bit too much to expect.

4. Lack of interest in local cinema.

5. Least expected - Familiarity with history of the region.

Most of the history is taught about north India and people know fair bit about it from school days. If anyone from south settles to north, it's unlikely that they will know just 3-4 words of local language.

Initially I used to believe that it's just lack of opportunity.

Little of background where I am coming from. Now I feel that I am bit settled here in Hyderabad and have more time in hand, I started explore more about the state. Started learning Telugu and wondered why I didn't do it earlier in last 4 years. So I started asking everyone that why didn't they try it. Most of them have expressed general lack of interest rather than lack of opportunity.

Or maybe my observations are limited. Ideally I would expect people to know more without actually staying there. By more I mean more about history, literature, geography etc. But I took example of people who are actually staying there.

I have more questions on similar lines, but will add it to separate thread as those are not related to general public.

Tamils and [some] malyalis don't like to admit it, but hindi actually is the national language.

Almost 60% of the country speaks it. In time, that number will increase. A language is only as strong as the economy that sustains it, and hindi has the strongest economic and cultural significance of all the 'indigenous' languages.

Having said that, the government should encourage more sanskrit - india's one and only 'common' language - along with prioritizing education in tamil and other indigenous languages in primary school.

31 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

Tamils and [some] malyalis don't like to admit it, but hindi actually is the national language.

Almost 60% of the country speaks it. In time, that number will increase. A language is only as strong as the economy that sustains it, and hindi has the strongest economic and cultural significance of all the 'indigenous' languages.

Having said that, the government should encourage more sanskrit - india's one and only 'common' language - along with prioritizing education in tamil and other indigenous languages in primary school.

That's not the question in the thread. South Indian do assimilate more with north Indian societies when they move there. But north Indians are bit reluctant to do so.

2 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

That's not the question in the thread. South Indian do assimilate more with north Indian societies when they move there. But north Indians are bit reluctant to do so.

Yeah, and i explained why. because HINDI IS THE NATIONAL LANGUAGE and north indians act like everybody in the country should speak it.

46 minutes ago, Manny_Pacquiao said:

Yeah, and i explained why. because HINDI IS THE NATIONAL LANGUAGE and north indians act like everybody in the country should speak it.

Not restricted just to language, but there is general lack of awareness towards local customs, culture also. 

Overall they don't try to assimilate. 

1 hour ago, velu said:

gujjus and marwadis are #1 in assimilating with the local society ..

one of my ( first gen ) gujju classmate in my collage could write poems in tamil

No surprises, the person whom I mentioned in OP is gujju. 

1 hour ago, velu said:

one of my ( first gen ) gujju classmate in my collage could write poems in tamil

Bingo, Gujjus (and to some extent Rajasthanis, Sikhs, Jains) are great at absorbing local culture and being part of society no matter how different (Gujjus did this even in Uganda :laugh:), no wonder they dominate business. 

Business Gujjus are the best Gujjus. Their Collective Wisdom about Business will be enough to start a world-class Academy. The rest are mostly poor and blameless or total *wads who pretend to be businessmen but are actually corrupt to the core.

18 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Not restricted just to language, but there is general lack of awareness towards local customs, culture also. 

Overall they don't try to assimilate. 

Nahi interest hoga local culture,  customs,  movies aur arts main.  Koi jabardasti hai kya? 

Hindi aur English se full India main kaam chal jata hai,  koi jarurat nahi hai Local Language seekhne ki sabko.  Tujhe seekhni hai seekh le baaki dusro ko nahi jarurat hogi.  

2 hours ago, velu said:

Hatsoff to these people....so well assimilated... also established successful shops in South... contributing to economy and development and diversity. Great. Very enterprising and resilient.

35 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Nahi interest hoga local culture,  customs,  movies aur arts main.  Koi jabardasti hai kya? 

Hindi aur English se full India main kaam chal jata hai,  koi jarurat nahi hai Local Language seekhne ki sabko.  Tujhe seekhni hai seekh le baaki dusro ko nahi jarurat hogi.  

Koi jabardasti nai hai, just asking ki kyu nai hai interest? Kya karan hai? Also same north Indians show interest in culture and customs when they go to foreign lands. What's the reason?

Hindi is NOT the fukcing National language. it is the official language of communication of the Central government, apart from English, that’s all. Spoken by one third of population, don’t count people in WB, Oriya, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Punjab as they might know Hindi, but they prefer to develop their local language over Hindi and will not accept imposition. 

The answer to the OP is mostly indifference and fukcall attitude of some North Indians displayed by some exhibits above. There was a protest in interior Karnataka when a Branch Manager yelled at a local for not knowing the National language Hindi. Banks need businesses of local people and look at the attitude of this manager to expect locals to know Hindi or English to come to the bank. 

Edited by coffee_rules

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Hindi is NOT the *ziing National language. Spoken by one third of population, don’t count people in WB, Oriya, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Punjab as they might know Hindi, but they prefer to develop their local language over Hindi and will not accept imposition. 

The answer to the OP is mostly indifference and *all attitude of some North Indians displayed by some exhibits above. There was a protest in interior Karnataka when a Branch Manager yelled at a local for not knowing the National language Hindi. Banks need businesses of local people and look at the attitude of this manager to expect locals to know Hindi or English to come to the bank. 

You are a respectable poster. I mostly would agree with what you say without even reading...but Hindi is the defacto national language...not 1/3rd not 2/3rd....nearly 3/3rd meaning nearly entire country understands and speaks basic hindi ...

Modi (a gujju) addresses the entire nation in Hindi only. Everyone understands... except I think some Tamils.. nothing against them also obviously

2 hours ago, velu said:

+ sikhs who have settled outside punjab/ ncr.

I have heard some of them speaking garhwali and one who spoke tamil .