Atheism increasing in Iran

Franco Vazquez

1 hour ago, Franco Vazquez said:

Why?

Because religion is much more than just a few megalomaniacs competing to keep the masses enslaved and ignorant. 

Our rich cultural heritage owes a lot to our varied religious traditions that contributed immensely in its evolution over the centuries. Without religion we are just a bunch of culture less savages with no meaningful life. 

I find it quite amusing to see the confused Indians (such as @beetle who gave a troll vote to my post) taking pride in our cultural achievements of the yesteryears and yet when it comes to giving credit to the religion they get all preachy, listing out it's detrimental impact on our society and what not. Bunch of misguided morons. 

Edited by Stradlater

54 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Because religion is much more than just a few megalomaniacs competing to keep the masses enslaved and ignorant. 

Our rich cultural heritage owes a lot to our varied religious traditions that contributed immensely in its evolution over the centuries. Without religion we are just a bunch of culture less savages with no meaningful life. 

I find it quite amusing to see the confused Indians (such as @beetle who gave a troll vote to my post) taking pride in our cultural achievements of the yesteryears and yet when it comes to giving credit to the religion they get all preachy, listing out it's detrimental impact on our society and what not. Bunch of misguided morons. 

This.

And the ignorance of Atheists equating all religions are same, without knowing the way Vedic civilization has evolved absorbing/appropriating all cultures and ways of life into one big tree , it should be hailed as a model for all to follow. 

Edited by coffee_rules

18 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

This.

And the ignorance of Atheists equating all religions are same, without knowing the way Vedic civilization has evolved absorbing/appropriating all cultures and ways of life into one big tree , it should be hailed as a model for all to follow. 

In the past, religion pervaded all spheres of life and was so firmly entrenched in our society that it's impossible to separate it from the way of life that that gradually evolved to become what we tend to associate with the Indian culture. 

7 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

In the past, religion pervaded all spheres of life and was so firmly entrenched in our society that it's impossible to separate it from the way of life that that gradually evolved to become what we tend to associate with the Indian culture. 

Also,

As per science, any species to survive, it needs to evolve and diversify and it needs to adapt.  Atheism, modern fashion (everybody already dresses the same), Proselytization to one religion are all western concepts to make societies homogenous, egalitarian and uniform. Hence, they want no diversity, same/no religion, no countries, no borders, no nationalism. This is real fascism!

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Also,

As per science, any species to survive, it needs to evolve and diversify and it needs to adapt.  Atheism, modern fashion (everybody already dresses the same), Proselytization to one religion are all western concepts to make societies homogenous, egalitarian and uniform. Hence, they want no diversity, same/no religion, no countries, no borders, no nationalism. This is real fascism!

Correction:  Proselytization to one religion are all western concepts with a singular goal:  to amass power.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

This.

You are actually correct that Vedic civilization has even accepted atheism.  However, ground-level practice of Hinduism involves belief in a supreme being and is centered on rituals and customs marketed as means to please deities.  That is the part of the religion I equate with other religions.  And when I talked about cults, I think of all cults, including Hindu cults led by religious leaders who claim they will lead you up the path to salvation.  Vedic civilization is much, much more than all of that.  But when I look around me, what I see are not people practicing Vedic ways of life, but blindly practicing ritualistic codes, praying for favors from deities, generally doing things because a pujari, astrologer or a swamiji told them.  That is the cultish side of Hinduism and it is not Vedic.  

I am not even spiritual.  Concepts of soul and soulmates are not tangible to me.  I simply try to treat all people with dignity, respect and kindness, help those in need, and live a joyful life as long as my joy is not impinging on others.  Often I fail, but I learn and try to do better.  Pretty straightforward.   One does not need a fundamental religious code, tenet or instruction to do that.  

2 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

You are actually correct that Vedic civilization has even accepted atheism.  However, grassroots practice of Hinduism involves belief in a supreme being and is centered on rituals and customs marketed as means to please deities.  That is the part of the religion I equate with other religions.  And when I talked about cults, I think of all cults, including Hindu cults led by religious leaders who claim they will lead you up the path to salvation.  Vedic civilization is much, much more than all of that, but I look around me, what I see are not people practicing Vedic ways of life, but blindly practicing ritualistic codes because a pujari, astrologer or a swamiji told them.  That is the cultish side of Hinduism and it is not Vedic.  

I am not even spiritual.  Concepts of soul and soulmates are not tangible to me.  I simply try to treat all people with dignity, respect and kindness, help those in need, and live a joyful life as long as my joy is not impinging on others.  Pretty straightforward.   One does not need a fundamental religious code, tenet or instruction to do that.  

If you feel others are following rituals blindly, don’t follow them. That is acceptable as well. Why do you care if they are following blindly or otherwise. Atheists (in general, not speaking to you in particular) have that logical superiority and do a lot of virtue signaling and preaching instead of following their own business. Nobody in Hinduism is forcing them to take religious aspect , but expect them to respect others who follow. Mutual respect is the basis of Dharma. 

24 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

If you feel others are following rituals blindly, don’t follow them. That is acceptable as well. Why do you care if they are following blindly or otherwise. Atheists (in general, not speaking to you in particular) have that logical superiority and do a lot of virtue signaling and preaching instead of following their own business. Nobody in Hinduism is forcing them to take religious aspect , but expect them to respect others who follow. Mutual respect is the basis of Dharma. 

First, agree about organized, preachy atheism.  It can be really obnoxious.

Second, I disagree with the bold-faced statement.  There is constant social pressure to be religious.  Not once has anyone (except my wife and kids, and old friends) been cool with the atheism part. 

Go to temple function.  Family goes inside.  I sit in the car.  People you know walk by. 

Them: "Hey you not coming?" 

Me: No. 

Them:  Why? 

Me:  Don't believe, you go enjoy dude.  

Them:  How come?  It is our tradition, custom, God is great, it will help your mental state ..." 

Me (in my mind): My mental state was fine listening to the radio until ...

On a related note (possible thread hijack):  I am interested in the concept of Carnatic music sans devotion.  Thyagaraaja has actually ridiculed this concept in the song: "Sangeetha Gnaanamu Bhakti vinaa ... Sanmaargamu Galadhe Manasa."   Why is it not the right path?  I just enjoy the music.  Everyone gets what they want from it.  

12 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

First, agree about organized, preachy atheism.  It can be really obnoxious.

Second, I disagree with the bold-faced statement.  There is constant social pressure to be religious.  Not once has anyone (except my wife and kids, and old friends) been cool with the atheism part. 

Go to temple function.  Family goes inside.  I sit in the car.  People you know walk by. 

Them: "Hey you not coming?" 

Me: No. 

Them:  Why? 

Me:  Don't believe, you go enjoy dude.  

Them:  How come?  It is our tradition, custom, God is great, it will help your mental state ..." 

Me (in my mind): My mental state was fine listening to the radio until ...

On a related note (possible thread hijack):  I am interested in the concept of Carnatic music sans devotion.  Thyagaraaja has actually ridiculed this concept in the song: "Sangeetha Gnaanamu Bhakti vinaa ... Sanmaargamu Galadhe Manasa."   Why is it not the right path?  I just enjoy the music.  Everyone gets what they want from it.  

I meant there is no scriptural enforcement like Jesus or Allah. It's very simple , you don't believe in them, you go to eternal damnation. There is no such thing for us. Dharma can still be followed without rituals or worship. You can still attain moksha. Your social pressure is your making.  It is not even comparable

Edited by coffee_rules

6 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

If Atheist are not being anti to any religion, then there is no harm in not believing or praying to any idol or god. As long as atheists minds their own business, people from different religious groups also should mind their own business. 

We ask the same of religious people too.  Just don't keep telling us why your way is better (when I say "you" I don't mean the two of "you", but in general.  

10 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Your social pressure is your making. 

Possibly.  Your point is that - it is not in the scriptures, hence no pressure.  But ground reality is different and the pushback can be intense.  

Maybe, if someone starts preaching about why it is important to practice the traditions and rituals and customs, I'll just remind them that I believe strongly in the tradition of good tasting prasadam.  

9 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

We ask the same of religious people too.  Just don't keep telling us why your way is better (when I say "you" I don't mean the two of "you", but in general.  

I am sort of an agnostic now or whatever you want to cal it. I believe there is something but I won’t pray like crazy to a particular one.  I don’t mind going to Mandir, Gurudwara, Church, Mosque, Synagogue etc.l if someone invites me.  I believe there is something but thats about it.

I love festivals to celebrate and will put lights in my house for both Diwali and Christmas etc but I am not going to pray and chant and would mind my own business. Thats how I participate in every religion while staying not so pruidish to any religion or culture.

Life has been very easy that way. No ill will towards anyone and not even have to get into any debates. Helps me also live and enjoy life to the fullest

19 hours ago, Stradlater said:

The biggest danger of atheism is that morality becomes relative. Atheism can get more scary than the most violent form of religion because it basically motivates anyone to do anything you want to as there is no right and wrong.

Edited by MechEng

52 minutes ago, MechEng said:

The biggest danger of atheism is that morality becomes relative. Atheism can get more scary than the most violent form of religion because it basically motivates anyone to do anything you want to as there is no right and wrong.

There's a concept called moral autonomy. Which means morality should come from within , you do not need religion to teach you that, humans should decide themselves the correct path, which is right or wrong. Yes, there are times where morality becomes relative, any philosophical concept when applied, can be relative, but that is not because of Atheism. The concept itself is relative according to the situation and circumstances. There's a dilemma called Heinz Dilemma which brings this exact concept.