Australia's New All rounder Cameron Green the best Aussie batting talent since Ricky Ponting, says Greg Chappell

Cameron Green is the best batting talent Australia has had since Ricky Ponting, says legendary former batsman Greg Chappell.

The hype around the towering Western Australian was already significant prior to his knock of 197 against New South Wales in the last round of Sheffield Shield fixtures, but now it's gone to another level.

Still just 21, Green averages 52 in first-class cricket, and Chappell has joined others in calling for the youngster to be given a Baggy Green.

MORE: 'I'm ready': Victoria's Will Pucovski ready to make his mark on Australian cricket yet again

"This kid can play. He's a serious talent. I think he's the best batting talent I've seen since Ricky Ponting," Chappell told SEN.

"He's got something special in that he's 6'7" tall - we haven't seen anyone of that size dominate from a batting point of view. And the kid can bowl."

Green has two five-wicket hauls to his name in Shield cricket, though he hasn't bowled in almost 12 months after suffering stress fractures in his back.

Chappell says Green's ability as a batsman alone should be enough to see him selected for Australia.

"One of the issues with Cameron is that his bowling is so attractive and the danger has been that people would get carried away with that and bowl him to the point that he broke," he added.

"Well he's already broken once. We've just got to be so careful because batting talent like this doesn't come along very often and we've got to make sure he gets through as a batsman.

"This kid can bat like very few people. We have to make sure that he gets the batting that he needs and I think that's finally showing up now.

"What we want to see from an Australian point of view is, post-Smith, him (Green) batting at three or four, bowling maybe 10-12 overs in an innings, max.

"He could win us the next Ashes if he can get a little bit of experience between now and then. He's got that ability and that presence.

"I'm excited because you don't see batting talent like this very often."

Australia's next Test is a day-night clash against India at Adelaide Oval beginning on December 17, the first in a four-match series.

Travis Head and Matthew Wade are the most likely selections at number five and six respectively, but Chappell would be going for Green.

"I think you've got to make room for him now," Chappell said. 

"You don't leave players in the VFL to find out how to play in the AFL, you get them in and you play them against the best players and the best teams to find out what it's like.

"Cameron needs to find that out now, he's shown that he's got what it takes to play at the Sheffield Shield first-class level, we now need to give him the chance to learn what it takes to play at the next level."

Green could yet push his case further, revealing earlier this week he's close to returning to the bowling crease, possibly in WA's next fixture, against Tasmania on Friday.

"I'm having a bowl today," Green told RSN on Tuesday.

"I'm having a couple more sessions before game day.

"Hopefully maybe a couple of overs this game but if that doesn't happen, hopefully, the game after. But it will only be a handful of overs I would say."

He also revealed he was doing his best to not get swept up in the hype.

"Cricket doesn't owe you anything. As soon as you think you're better than you are, it catches up to you. I'm just trying to keep a level head," he added.

Link - https://www.sportingnews.com/au/cricket/news/cameron-green-australia-greg-ponting/1ubo4jlx7qvec1br6cre79bij2

On 11/11/2020 at 3:36 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

There is  bit of watson in his batting, he may or may not have initial success but he ll have long career, looks solid n powerful .

Bowling also is such that with a bit of help he can run through top orders

Looks a bit like Jonathan Trott