The next big challenge coming up for Indian democracy. Number of lok sabha seats

Vilander

Butterfly effect of new parliament building announcement:  Long story short, states that implemented state population control policy effectively ( the usual south & east) have net positive representation in lok sabha and those that did not manage as well ( the usual bimaru)- continue to have higher population growth and have under representation vis-à-vis their current population. If this were to be corrected south and east states will need to loose seats. 

Since Maha and Guj are not impacted i guess this will go through and India will reward the laggards with more lok sabha seats and penalize the good boys for controlling the population. 

Conventional wisdom says too bad suits them nice keep it the same, but then i think that's not the way things are in a democracy.  

opcwkimiug-1607256605.jpg

The Political Fix: Why India's new Parliament building foretells a North-South tug-of-war (scroll.in)

post your  opinions 

Edited by Vilander

I was reading about delimitation a few days ago. Some states like Tamil Nadu are definitely over-represented in number of seats while others like Bihar and Rajasthan are under-represented. 

The population of Bihar is almost 10 crore and Tamil Nadu is 6.7 crore, yet both have same number of seats .

Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu have nearly equal population yet Rajasthan has 15 less seats than Tamil Nadu. The delimitation is long overdue.

Edited by javier26

Whilst it will be beneficial for my party BJP, unfair to states that have controlled their population. But this delimitation exercise had already been postponed till the first census after 2026, now will go ahead, inevitable because that is how democracy functions. I don't think this TFR gap between South and Hindi belt will reduce any time in the near future. Maybe hold up next delimitation process for 50-60 years (population control law too should be passed and implemented IMO) and in the meantime reward states like Ker, TN ,AP, Tel by giving them a much larger pie of tax revenue (controversy in previous Finance Commission IIRC). Nobody talks about that but many states are being subsidized at the expense of Maha, Guj, South. This unjust distribution of economic resources, LS seats redistribution, Hindi imposition etc will only cause resentment in many states....we might see more bullying and several states losing autonomy in the future. 

Also I have zero background when it comes to Indian Constitution. RS seats too shall be affected, no? Since I think state assemblies too will see a rejig in their numbers. Is there any provision to prevent that and keep RS seats as they are? Though upper house can be rendered useless on most occasions we need checks and balances in the system. US senate (upper chamber) has 2 senators from each state no? Rajya Sabha with all states having equal representation (equal power to large and small states) would have been fairer I guess, did our founding fathers err? 

Edited by Gollum

Regarding fertility rates, I think for many states it is below 2.1 (replacement level)... overall 2.1 (for the country) or approaching there very fast..at some point in future, the babies born today (which some feel are a burdon ) will provide the necessary man power and also delay the recession.

Edited by sandeep
Moderator Note: Please avoid resorting to abuse based on ethnicity etc. Let's keep ICF above that nonsense.

4 hours ago, javier26 said:

I was reading about delimitation a few days ago. Some states like Tamil Nadu are definitely over-represented in number of seats while others like Bihar and Rajasthan are under-represented. 

The population of Bihar is almost 10 crore and Tamil Nadu is 6.7 crore, yet both have same number of seats .

Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu have nearly equal population yet Rajasthan has 15 less seats than Tamil Nadu. The delimitation is long overdue.

this depends on the way we look at it. 

TN controlled it population Bihar Raj did not, so may be we should get more Bihar and Rajasthan people over to TN lots of work there perhaps. Cant penalize a state for controlling population.  

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

This unjust distribution of economic resources, LS seats redistribution, Hindi imposition etc

the first big mistake that India did was allow sub-nationalities. it should have been straight lines with allowances to physical features like in US or Canada.

look at collarado, wyoming , kansas lol

They look like a rectangle drawn on a sphere. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Look at Indian states they look like organisms with head butt other appendages etc. 

spacer.png

46 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

OP, Another idiot from the state of ugliness and stank down south  who likes to put a 'bimaru' where he can... showing his own bimaru mentality.

Regarding fertility rates, I think for many states it is below 2.1 (replacement level)... overall 2.1 (for the country) or approaching there very fast..at some point in future, the babies born today (which some feel are a burdon ) will provide the necessary man power and also delay the recession.

lol

did you share your pic in the members thread.. pls do we are all eager to see how beautiful you are.

2 hours ago, WC2011INDIA said:

Then each state in India should be a country! 

We can’t be Europe only has Russia to defend against, India has freaking all failed states rouge nuclear army’s and biggest fundamental hegemony China as neighbours. So Europe can afford to be just a political union India has to be a unified country.  I am saying India should have gone ahead and dissolved all sub nations and made straight line boundaries where ever possible and making one Indian language universal day 1.

India is not at all like EU. India is a civilizationsl state connected by a ancient common heritage. , much before 1947 when we were divided by princely kingdoms. Languages, culture even though were different they are evolved from a common root. That is why we are able to sustain as a nation state post 1947. If we had to become like China, with one language, one culture. We would be very much divided and not survived as a nation 

On 12/8/2020 at 5:18 PM, Vilander said:

lol

did you share your pic in the members thread.. pls do we are all eager to see how beautiful you are.

It is not my fault that*******************************************************

Edited by sandeep
Moderator Note: Please avoid resorting to abuse based on ethnicity etc. Let's keep ICF above that nonsense.

12 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

India is not at all like EU. India is a civilizationsl state connected by a ancient common heritage. , much before 1947 when we were divided by princely kingdoms. Languages, culture even though were different they are evolved from a common root. That is why we are able to sustain as a nation state post 1947. If we had to become like China, with one language, one culture. We would be very much divided and not survived as a nation 

May be may be not. If each state unit had 2 or 3 language areas then a common admin language would have been adopted far easier. Organically. It would not have been imposition but practical need at that time.

On 12/9/2020 at 3:01 AM, randomGuy said:

OP, Another idiot from the state of ugliness and stank down south  who likes to put a 'bimaru' where he can... showing his own bimaru mentality.

On 12/10/2020 at 7:15 AM, randomGuy said:

It is not my fault that your state is the world capital of deformed, stinking , strange-looking people.

@sandeep Is it worthy of your "friendly warning" to this guy and the other troll named "sarcasm". Or is it just my posts you are after. These guys are known trouble makers and the entire admins and mods remain as if nothing happened.

@Trichromatic@Cricketics

On 12/10/2020 at 7:52 AM, Vilander said:

You mean europe is not a civilization with any common heritage?

No, each one thinks their civilization came first and superior for more than 1000 years. There is no common root that all of EU believe to originate from. In India, although kingdoms fought, there was no common people hating others. There is Kannada inscription dating back to 1100 where the Hoysala king built a ashram for pilgrims from his Hoysala kingdom.