There is something about Washi

maniac

I have rated Washington since I saw him in IPL a few years ago because of this quality of being calm and assured almost saint like in any situation. 

This kid looks so assured while doing anything except catching which needs to improve.

There is some swag, there is a calmness and there is a certain presence he has.

He was brushing off body line blows like nothing and just kept going about his business.

I have seen his calmness even in T20 with the ball when someone gets hold of him. Always seems to have a comeback or a fight in him.

I still don’t know which field (batting or bowling) Sundar will end up doing well in his career yet but there is something about him.

Going to be a crucial member in the Indian squads going forward.

Must say my heart was in mouth first morning when marcus harris gave that catch. He took it so calmly.. and threw the ball up casually. He has big palms and he is 21. India will definitely need him abroad. Ashwin anyways cant play all matches in a 4-5 matches series. India can gamble playing both jaddu and sundar as no 7 and 8. 

3 minutes ago, helperononline said:

His bowling is like jaddu does not turn the ball much I feel he needs lot of time to develop his bowling skill 

His batting skill is superior we badly need left handed batsman he could be the answer

Talking about calmness he is getting trained

by dravid so that his the mantra he learnt from the legend

No jaddu and his bowling is Diff

Jaddu can bowl at one spot consistently and sundar relies heavily on variation 

Let’s not forget he was the man of the series in the Nidihaas trophy, the first T20I

tournament he played in. This guy just stands up and performs. I was scared for him after seeing the way Kohli handled him in RCB last year but this year he was a regular and did decently for them. He grabs most opportunities because he has the mental strength.

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yea he doesnt turn, but im talking about their reliance is very different

For a finger spinner who is not a big turner of the ball, I was actually impressed by the turn that he actually got on the first and second day pitch at the Gabba.

Plus he gets zip and bounce off the deck.

As @helperononline said. he needs to work a lot on his bowling to become a test level spinner. But the basic quality of fast and zippy turn, albeit small, provides quite a bit to work with. He can combine this with quick arm balls.

He needs to change his line though.

Target the off stump instead of leg and middle.

Edited by express bowling
Just now, express bowling said:

Very impressed with his batting.

Temperament of steel ... and has a lot of time to play quick balls. 

Very definitive footwork too, both front foot and back foot. Plays the ball under his eyes.

These are the type of batsmen that we need to promote. 

It would be nice if he can increase his range of shots a bit. 

he comes from a T20 background like TNPL and also hit some blows in IPL. Not very consistent yet but still has a better shape and follow through than someone like Dube.

He has the shots, just needs to learn shot selection when playing attacking cricket and also obviously improve it enough to use them against high standard bowling.

He is one of those guys who is improving with every series.

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

he comes from a T20 background like TNPL and also hit some blows in IPL. Not very consistent yet but still has a better shape and follow through than someone like Dube.

He has the shots, just needs to learn shot selection when playing attacking cricket and also obviously improve it enough to use them against high standard bowling.

He is one of those guys who is improving with every series.

I am not taking about big shots or slogging. He can do that, albeit inconsistently.

In a test match or FC, the shots I have seen from him off pacers are ... front foot drive, back foot drive from point to mid off and flick. Practicing the cut and pull would help him even more.

12 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Very impressed with his batting.

Temperament of steel ... and has a lot of time to play quick balls. 

Very definitive footwork too, both front foot and back foot. Plays the ball under his eyes.

These are the type of batsmen that we need to promote. 

It would be nice if he can increase his range of shots a bit. 

I think he has the shots..  He was facing a high quality bowling attack so he can't unleash everything.  He is only 21 & I doubt even Jaddu was at this level at his age.  There is room for improvement though.  Lack of FC experience as he didn't quite knew how to farm the strike..  He'll learn.  Jaddu started delivering 4-5 years ago in Test cricket with the bat & he is 31..  Let's see where Washy ends up.