Give Rahane Captaincy and Ashwin Vice Captaincy right now

Other than the runout incident at Melbourne, where Rahane encouraged Pant to play his natural game there was one more incident yesterday. Siraj wanted to keep the ball after his maiden 5 wkt haul and Rahane took it from him and checked with the umpires before giving it back to Siraj. Small things but surely Kohli would not even care for niceties. Apart from winning, I like the captain to be a leader in both on & off field behaviors too 

Edited by diga
1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:
  • He is inconsistent with so what he anyways will play in XI, since their arent many pushing but captaincy isnt just about ur own performance , its about extracting performances from 10 other ppl which he did to perfection. He got it out from everyone even the one who came in as net bowlers 
  • How calm was he in dressing room which kept everyone calm, pick clips of Kohli in dressing room in tense situation its his body language that sends nervous energy to everyone
  • Ashwin- Thinker, Fighter who supported captain like a perfect deputy shud 
  •  

I agree with this. There is no clear replacement for him at 5. Agarwal or Vihari is a contender but they have been equally inconsistent and should not be a sure shot in the 11 if not performing. Rohit will open in Indian pitches and should do well as well. Given that Rahane is going to be there in the mix for next 6 months atleast, he should be the captain for now. Not just he is a better leader, it will also allow Kohli to focus on his Test batting where he has underperformed by his standards in last 18 months.

ALso we should start thinking about  a succession plan in couple of years as Rahane, Ashwin, Pujara, Rohit all will likely reach the end phase of their Test career with Kohli not far behind.

7 minutes ago, diga said:

Other than the runout incident at Melbourne, where Rahane encouraged Pant to play his natural game there was one more incident yesterday. Siraj wanted to keep the ball after his maiden 5 wkt haul and Rahane took it from him and checked with the umpires before giving it back to Siraj. Small things but surely Kohli would not even care for niceties. Apart from winning, I like the captain to be a leader in both on & off field behaviors too 

True. That caught my eye. That will make Siraj bowl his heart out for Rahane again. That's what captains do, they establish that connection.

@Ankit_sharma03 this is yet another knee jerk thread from your side.
Basically you watch a match and then based on what happened in that particular match you pretty much sum up everything happening in Indian Cricket.
Kohli himself is a great test match cricketer, he has performed many times under pressure and you know that
This is basically Rahane reaping the benefits of Kohli's work for the last four years.

Rahul Dravid won a series in pakistan as captain when ganguly was absent does that mean Rahul was a better captain?

We were doing fine in the first test, pretty much won every session and it was some spectacular bowling by aussies which won them the match, Rahane couldn’t have done zilch about it.

Mark my words, we are going to win/draw the next two away series in SA and Eng under Kohli. 
The fact is that we have found a new balance in our team, we had nonperforming openers like Rahul and Vijay now we have a solid opener in Gill and Rohit

Also will you give Kohli the credit for playing Rohit as an opener.

6 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Basically you watch a match and then based on what happened in that particular match you pretty much sum up everything happening in Indian Cricket.
Kohli himself is a great test match cricketer, he has performed many times under pressure and you know that
This is basically Rahane reaping the benefits of Kohli's work for the last four years.

how long i have been saying for that kohli isnt a good captain ? I dont need one series 

Why cudnt kohli himself reap benefits in ENG, SA, NZ himself with much better sides 

Rahul Dravid won a series in pakistan as captain when ganguly was absent does that mean Rahul was a better captain?

if u remeber correctly after that series Ganguly captaincy declined and his lost his captaincy with in an year . If u read Post correctly my call is on man management not result 

We were doing fine in the first test, pretty much won every session and it was some spectacular bowling by aussies which won them the match, Rahane couldn’t have done zilch about it.

rahane did more then zilch with a broken team in next 3 test 

Mark my words, we are going to win/draw the next two away series in SA and Eng under Kohli. 

Sa to ab team hi nahi rahi 

The fact is that we have found a new balance in our team, we had nonperforming openers like Rahul and Vijay now we have a solid opener in Gill and Rohit

Vijay and rahul both have made runs overseas in their time . Why does kohli deserve credit for that whole worlds was after him and openers were scoring 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

my point - his captaincy has been a lot about his own super ability but thats never enough to win , to win u need XI players and that what a good captain does make use of all

Think Kohli motivates others in tests to bat well . 
his personality helps test team . But he has zero idea on best teams for pitches and tactically he is useless . What u need is to take his odi and t20 captaincy and u will see better results for all formats . 

41 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Maybe .. 

RD won us a series in Eng, WI too and if I recollect correctly we had out first test win in SA too under him..We had a world record streak of 16 or so wins chasing in ODIs.

(World cup failure I put it down to politics of selection)

1 hour ago, Adamant said:

And will you give Kohli the credit for nearly derailing the careers of Gill, Siraj, Saini and Pant?

If Kohli has any shame left, he should resign right away letting Rahane take over.

25 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

its not about 1 player performing its about getting 11 to perform 

There was some sort of motivation, I agree. But whether it was due to Rahane or absence of Kohli, it’s debatable. The amount of injuries and constant team bubble must’ve gelled them into a unit with back at the walls.

25 minutes ago, asterix said:

Are you guys suggesting that if Kohli remained captain in this series, the result would’ve been the same? His batting would’ve helped the team a lot...

His batting would not have mattered. It did not in 2018 series. It did not matter in the first test. Remember his replacement in the team was Jadeja and Sundar here. They were far more valuable than Kohli could have been.

Plus his regressive leadership would only have dragged the team down. His focus before the tour was on doing PR with Steve Smith. Rahane did not need any such theatrics