Nothing will help revive test cricket then hard fought contest, no pink ball or day night kind of gimmicks

Yesterday the whole world got hooked to this test series coz it was a hard fought battle.

Last to last yr it was ashes when we everyone got hooked

Prior to that remeber that SL-SA test

Test series we remember mostly- Ind-Aus 2001, Ashes 2005 , Ind-Aus 2003-04 

Its a sport and everyone watches it for a contest. ICC better start helping teams like SA, SL, WI,PAk who are on decline if they want to revive test cricket also promote more A tours so visting teams adapt better in away conditions coz their is enough home bullying going around. 

28 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Yesterday the whole world got hooked to this test series coz it was a hard fought battle.

Last to last yr it was ashes when we everyone got hooked

Prior to that remeber that SL-SA test

Test series we remember mostly- Ind-Aus 2001, Ashes 2005 , Ind-Aus 2003-04 

Its a sport and everyone watches it for a contest. ICC better start helping teams like SA, SL, WI,PAk who are on decline if they want to revive test cricket also promote more A tours so visting teams adapt better in away conditions coz their is enough home bullying going around. 

only way to build strong test teams is to have strong bowling attacks - you can get away with 2 good bowlers and 2 or 3 good batsmen in shorter formats - test cricket requires a strong ELEVEN, arguably a strong 14.  And the only way for teams to acquire that, is to have a robust domestic long-format system.  That requires funding, facilities, and good quality non-corrupt administration.  The ICC cannot do this for the team, beyond supplying funding.  Its up to the country cricket boards.  

Look at Pakistan - they have a 200 million population of passionate fans, and the board is wasting the resources it has.  Even Bangladesh board is doing  better than them.  I am not talking about quality of team and players, but quality of administration.  

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I think the biggest reason why this series was a hit was because both our bowling as well as batting clicked in the last 3 tests. And Australia had good bowlers as well as batsmen too.

Tough fight between bat and ball,  on sporting pitches, is the key to a well fought series.

Boards that make unsporting wkts favouring one team should be punished with fines.

Actually i dont think the two are the same things

Entire point of day night tests is people can watch at regular times.

The day night test at abad is perfect time for me in the uk. Many more from uk will watch than would have otherwise.

Same thing about day night ashes tests. You can catch 2 sessions without breaking any sleeoing patterns.

One easy fix is remove toss and let away team decide what to do.

Secondly, the Test championship is good concept but needs more structure. South Africa, WI and Bangladesh will end up playing only 3-4 Test series and nations need to play minimum 3 match series. This is where ICC needs to subsidise poorer boards like Pakistan, SL, WI and NZ. 

1 hour ago, chewy said:

This is where ICC needs to subsidise poorer boards like Pakistan, SL, WI and NZ. 

This is important. Right now NZ is number one test team, has no.1 batsman and three top bowlers yet they don't play next match until July. Kane will not even play 100 matches at this rate..

Why would you call pink ball tests a gimmick? It's something new, looks fantastic, has pulled in crowds everywhere, even at Dubai. The modern game needs to continuously evolve and adapt itself to the current demands.

Remember we had a handful of people cheering the team when we beat Aussies at Mohali in 2010. General attendance in home tests have been relatively poor. But we had capacity crowd at Eden even vs BD. 

Nothing wrong in trying something new to bring in the crowds. Makes the game much more enjoyable. Imagine the last test being played at a full Gabba. Would have added a totally different dimension to the thrill.

35 minutes ago, Serpico said:

This is important. Right now NZ is number one test team, has no.1 batsman and three top bowlers yet they don't play next match until July. Kane will not even play 100 matches at this rate..

NZ were supposed to tour BD..  It's The Covid situation that denied them that.  They also played one series vs Eng at home which was not part of WTC.  I think they played enough test cricket considering their board loses money everytime they host a Test match.  I think they also lost a test tour of WI in July due to Covid. 

SA have two series coming up back to back vs Pak & Aus(if that happens). 

14 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

I think they played enough test cricket considering their board loses money everytime they host a Test match

this is why its important to subsidize such boards for hosting test matches. NZ is our toughest opponent, away from home in recent times.. we should be playing 3 match series with them

28 minutes ago, Serpico said:

this is why its important to subsidize such boards for hosting test matches. NZ is our toughest opponent, away from home in recent times.. we should be playing 3 match series with them

Our last two series with them away from home have been 2 match series in 2014 & 2020...  We gave them 3 match series at home vs us in 2016.  I think now we have also returned the favour & will host them for a 2 match series only.   NZ team isn't that marketable from financial POV..  But I get your point as well. 

3 hours ago, G_B_ said:

Actually i dont think the two are the same things

Entire point of day night tests is people can watch at regular times.

The day night test at abad is perfect time for me in the uk. Many more from uk will watch than would have otherwise.

Same thing about day night ashes tests. You can catch 2 sessions without breaking any sleeoing patterns.

Exactly  !!

Day night test not just about being at ground. Thats just one aspect.

Say we play a day night test in india and it starts at 3:30pm

People who work can come back home from their commute and watch the post lunch sessions. 

Test cricket needs to draw eyeballs.  Make it convenient for people. I already see that bore draws are becoming rare. So the next step as somebody mentioned is to elimiate the toss and give the visiting team the option. It will allow weaker sides to be more competitive and will foster level pitches.

Test cricket needs 6 solid teams who are competitive home and away. Atm pakistan and sa are falling away. Sa might arrest their slide due to kolpak ruling being axed due to brexit. But will still lose players to England Aus and Nz. 

In the 90s and early 00s. There was more depth but pattas were there.

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Our last two series with them away from home have been 2 match series in 2014 & 2020...  We gave them 3 match series at home vs us in 2016.  I think now we have also returned the favour & will host them for a 2 match series only.   NZ team isn't that marketable from financial POV..  But I get your point as well. 

Nz board prioritises loi v india for the money

But india with day night tests that can change. Broadcasters will pay top dollar.

You can have tests starting at 9am india time (4:30pm nz) and ending at 5pm. You start to play a test on a friday you can get weekends peak viewing like a normal indian home match.

Not just india i am sure nz will want that with most south asian nations.  

Vs england a 13 hour difference , a 4:30pm start means uk viewers can catch post dinner session without making sleeping changes. It also means prime time viewing in india.

People dont realise but day night cricket will revolutionise cricket. Boards like nz will benefit the most.

1 minute ago, G_B_ said:

Nz board prioritises loi v india for the money

But india with day night tests that can change. Broadcasters will pay top dollar.

You can have tests starting at 9am india time (4:30pm nz) and ending at 5pm. You start to play a test on a friday you can get weekends peak viewing like a normal indian home match.

Not just india i am sure nz will want that with most south asian nations.  

Vs england a 13 hour difference , a 4:30pm start means uk viewers can catch post dinner session without making sleeping changes. It also means prime time viewing in india.

People dont realise but day night cricket will revolutionise cricket. Boards like nz will benefit the most.

NZ has hosted a D/N test as well..  It was not a huge success for them financially.  So they have dropped the idea in the meantime at home games.  Besides they won't play more than two match series at their home as it is not financially viable for them. 

They can play as many matches they want to play in Eng Aus & India though including D/N test.  India will only give them Two tests this November. 

1 minute ago, Lone Wolf said:

NZ has hosted a D/N test as well..  It was not a huge success for them financially.  So they have dropped the idea in the meantime at home games.  Besides they won't play more than two match series at their home as it is not financially viable for them. 

They can play as many matches they want to play in Eng Aus & India though including D/N test.  India will only give them Two tests this November. 

There will be a lag.

They will have deals with broadcasters struck long term.

In new deals they will prioritise it.

In the WTC, the top four teams of IND, AUS, NZ and ENG must be required to all play each other.  They got it close this time around, but the NZ / ENG test series last year was not part of the WTC.  Six series, three of which are against the other top teams then split up the minnows to fill out the schedules of the top 3.