Will Ind make 2020s its best decade in terms of winning major international LOI tournaments?

zen

When it comes to major events, Ind was solid in 80s, winning the 83WC and 85 WSC in Australia. Post that Miandad's last ball 6 in Sharjah in '86, the team went south but overall 80s still a good decade. In 2000s, Sehwag, Yuvi, Dhoni, Zaheer, etc. came to the front, helping Ind win big tournaments like the 2007 T20 WC (the team with more or less the same group of players won the 2011 world cup as well in the 2010s). Once more, we are seeing a great group of players crop up including SDP (Hardik), Bumrah, Pant, Gill,  KL, and so on.  Will Ind make 2020s its best decade in terms of winning major LOI tourneys? 

SDP, Bumrah, Pant, Gill, KL, etc., are heavy weight talents put in a line. However, challenges include: 

* Eng team, which has the potential to be among the ATG sides like WI 1975-1983 and Aus 1999-2007

* Revival of WI through its power hitters (esp. impactful in T20s)

* Teams such as NZ and maybe even SA (once it rebuilds) to finally shake their “bad luck” and have their moments 

Edited by zen

LOI competitions for next few years are pretty much England's to lose. They have unbelievable depth. We will do well to stay close let alone surpass them.

In tests we are in a better position, however we will have a rebuild soon once Kohli, Pujara, Ashwin, Shami, Umesh, Ishant move on in the coming years. How we replace them will define the next decade.

3 hours ago, Vickydev said:

LOI competitions for next few years are pretty much England's to lose. They have unbelievable depth. We will do well to stay close let alone surpass them.

In tests we are in a better position, however we will have a rebuild soon once Kohli, Pujara, Ashwin, Shami, Umesh, Ishant move on in the coming years. How we replace them will define the next decade.

India beat england away in t20 last time. If India pick right selections, India are favourites for t20 tournaments. India is better than England in t20. In odi I agree we are probably 3rd now. 

in tests we are the best if we pick right selections.

I hope 2020s are better than the 2010s where we won two trophies within the first three years and then won nothing despite having the best of financial resources we have ever had in our cricket history. That 2011 WC win took personality cult in our cricket (esp of the captain) to extreme levels. The captains started to think of themselves as immune to team performances and consolidated immense power unto themselves. Friendships started to matter over professionalism and whimsical decisions have become a norm. 

I do hope we see an end to all such ills soon in the 2030s. The day it starts to happen, we will start winning more LOI trophies regularly

One more thing Sachin and messi legends in their respective sports. But Sachin not good captain and waited for wc so many years as player.messi have no fifa wc.may be Kohli also follow their way. Kohli still not win any icc trophy under is own captaincy. I am interesting to how Kohli captaincy will end. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

India beat england away in t20 last time. If India pick right selections, India are favourites for t20 tournaments. India is better than England in t20. In odi I agree we are probably 3rd now. 

It all comes down to selection..  I also believe we have a shot at This year's T20 WC..  Provided we pick the right guys. England would be favorites for sure & it we would be nice to test a good squad vs their full strength team in T20s next month. 

That T20 series win was probably our best ever.  Kuldeep & Rahul were brilliant for us..  Although England has changed quite a bit with Malan & Archer in their ranks now...  We also need to tweak a  bit & kick out deadwoods like Manish Iyer Dhawan & pick Kishan SkY & Pant. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

That was 2.5 years back though, they have come on leaps since then. Bairstow and Morgan have become monsters in this format to add to Butler, Roy and Stokes. Wood, Archer and Malan as the new additions. They are a gun team.

2 hours ago, Vickydev said:

That was 2.5 years back though, they have come on leaps since then. Bairstow and Morgan have become monsters in this format to add to Butler, Roy and Stokes. Wood, Archer and Malan as the new additions. They are a gun team.

We have vastly improved from then too. I am 100% sure we would beat them again. We have a different team now. In T20 we are hard to beat. Same as tests. 

We dint play pandya, bumrah, natrajan, Bhuvi (who is a very very good T20 player), transformed pant etc. 

England is in for a rude awakening in T20. 

Edited by Jay
6 hours ago, Jay said:

We have vastly improved from then too. I am 100% sure we would beat them again. We have a different team now. In T20 we are hard to beat. Same as tests. 

We dint play pandya, bumrah, natrajan, Bhuvi (who is a very very good T20 player), transformed pant etc. 

England is in for a rude awakening in T20. 

Good to know but doing well in bilaterals and ICC events can be different things as teams like SA have shown in the past, and Eng and NZ displayed too in WC19 

1 hour ago, zen said:

Good to know but doing well in bilaterals and ICC events can be different things as teams like SA have shown in the past, and Eng and NZ displayed too in WC19 

Ko stages depends entirely on kohli's selections. kohli actually has a very very good t20 record in Kos. he only sucks in odi ko's. 

hope we fix this soon and pick the right selections. Kohli can turn things around. he is bound to win a short format tournament at some point. too good of a team to not be able to win. we shall see soon. 

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ko stages depends entirely on kohli's selections. kohli actually has a very very good t20 record in Kos. he only sucks in odi ko's. 

hope we fix this soon and pick the right selections. Kohli can turn things around. he is bound to win a short format tournament at some point. too good of a team to not be able to win. we shall see soon. 

he will still fail if he gets his 100% selection right coz thats not the problem