Pujara's dedication to tests and team Ind

zen

Pujara hopes for short county stint after IPL ends

Cheteshwar Pujara isn't ruling out the possibility of a short county stint this summer, as preparation for India's tour of England in August, while also insisting he's keen to prove himself in the shortest format after finding an IPL team in Chennai Super Kings after a gap of seven years. Pujara was picked up at his base price (INR 50 lakhs) at the IPL auction on Thursday, which means he'll once again play under his first India captain, MS Dhoni.

"First of all, I'm really glad to be part of the IPL. It's good to be back again and I'd like to thank CSK for picking me," he said after India's training session in Ahmedabad on Saturday. "At the same time, with regards to county cricket we still have enough time before we play the England Test series. Once the IPL will be over, there is a window where I can play a few county games. That call I'll take once the IPL is over or in-between [the tournament].

"There will be enough time to play some county games. We also have a couple of practice games [against India A] before the Test series. But yes, it's good to be back in the IPL. I haven't spoken to them [CSK management] yet but I always want to play the shorter formats. But for now, my focus once this series is over will be on the IPL and after that, I'll think about county cricket and the big series against England in August. Hopefully, we will play the World Test Championship final as well. I want to focus now on the next two Tests, both of them are important for us to qualify."

No wonder, like a tortoise outdoing the hares, he is the #1 test batsman for India since 1990 in my book :hatsoff:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Are you from Gujarat by any chance? 

Not that it matters but yes I agree chepu is a legend. ATG. Stud.

I salute the king. Dracula blood sucking monster. 

My favorite Ind test batsman is probably Sehwag (difficult to pick one) but I think Pujara has taken test batting to another level by putting a high value on his wkt, serving as a virtual opener in many games and averaging 100 balls per innings of late irrespective of conditions to blunt an attack, taking blows on his body, playing classic test match cricket including leaving the balls, fighting it out in the 4th innings, carrying his bat through while playing effectively with inexperienced batsmen and the tail, and so on ... more importantly if he is in, he makes the whole series count v 1 or 2 innings

Edited by zen
27 minutes ago, zen said:

My favorite Ind test batsman is probably Sehwag (difficult to pick one) but I think Pujara has taken test batting to another level by putting a high value on his wkt, serving as a virtual opener in many games and averaging 100 balls per innings of late irrespective of conditions to blunt an attack, taking blows on his body, playing classic test match cricket including leaving the balls, fighting it out in the 4th innings, ability to carry his bat through and play with the tail, and so on ... more importantly if he is in, he makes the whole series count v 1 or 2 innings

He averages 31 runs in WTC. His blunting is good but it isn't everything, you need someone to be able to cash in after that

While Pant and Gill deserve a lot of credit for their batting in the 4th innings, Pujara was epic.

His brand of batting provided the blunt instrument to tire and weaken the Aussie bowlers which allowed Pant to destroy them towards the end of the day.

While Pujara places a high value on his wicket and frustrates the opposition, I hope he remains in the side for a while yet. He is invaluable.

1 hour ago, zen said:

My favorite Ind test batsman is probably Sehwag (difficult to pick one) but I think Pujara has taken test batting to another level by putting a high value on his wkt, serving as a virtual opener in many games and averaging 100 balls per innings of late irrespective of conditions to blunt an attack, taking blows on his body, playing classic test match cricket including leaving the balls, fighting it out in the 4th innings, carrying his bat through while playing effectively with inexperienced batsmen and the tail, and so on ... more importantly if he is in, he makes the whole series count v 1 or 2 innings

Very true. I simply don't get the hate. People who haven't played test cricket or any real form of cricket should just refrain from commenting. Puji is special. Lol at people comparing him to guys like Azhar. The audacity in some people. I would say he is better than Laxman even. Dravid may or may not be better. I am not sure. Both have had their deficiencies in certain countries. 

Dravid is better overall though cause he played odi and did decently there too. 

4 hours ago, Serpico said:

He averages 31 runs in WTC. His blunting is good but it isn't everything, you need someone to be able to cash in after that

Yes he really has a specific job in the team that 60-70% of the times comes off..  But in those 40% fixtures he looks awful when he fails. He has done well for us in Australia both times..  Now Eng & SA are the places where he needs to change his tactics a bit..  31 run avg won't win many games. 

He hasn't done anything noteworthy in county cricket So I don't care too much now. 

Those India A games ultimately would be top class preparation for everyone. 

Puajra's case is very baffling, It was getting unplayable balls almost every time in Australia to get rid of him while he is finding a new way to get out on innocuous deliveries at home. I thought after Australia tour he will be piling runs at home. Hopefully he scores in remaining 4 innings of this test series. 

7 hours ago, Serpico said:

The greatness of Pujara is that even though he avg relatively less recently, he has helped create a platform of his team ... without Pujara's platform, the team could get bundled out for 300 or less in difficult conditions   ... when he gets going, he makes the whole series count such as the legendary series in Aus, the series in Eng (131* and other such knocks) and so on  

We can be sure that it would be a great ball or some dumb luck for the other team that would get Pujara out more often than not esp. v strong teams

Edited by zen
30 minutes ago, zen said:

The greatness of Pujara is that even though he avg relatively less recently, he has helped create a platform of his team ... without Pujara's platform, the team could get bundled out for 300 or less in difficult conditions   ... when he gets going, he makes the whole series count such as the legendary series in Aus, the series in Eng (131* and other such knocks) and so on  

We can be sure that it would be a great ball or some dumb luck for the other team that would get Pujara out more often than not esp. v strong teams

there were no other such knocks, that was his only century in England. He also played around 68 balls per innings in england so he didn't set the platform either. He was so far disappointing in England by any criteria we think of. I thought you only dealt with numbers and facts, but you are getting carried away when it comes to the players you like

20 minutes ago, Serpico said:

there were no other such knocks, that was his only century in England. He also played around 68 balls per innings in england so he didn't set the platform either. He was so far disappointing in England by any criteria we think of. I thought you only dealt with numbers and facts, but you are getting carried away when it comes to the players you like

That is not accurate

Primary team India 
Opposition team England 
Home or away away (home of opposition) 
Start of match date greater than or equal to 1 Jan 2018 
Batting position between 1 and 3 
Ordered by batting average (descending)

Overall figures
Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
CA Pujara 4 8 1 278 132* 39.71 726 38.29 1 1 1 33 0  
KL Rahul 5 10 0 299 149 29.90 450 66.44 1 0 1 44 1  
S Dhawan 4 8 0 162 44 20.25 292 55.47 0 0 0 23 0  
M Vijay 2 4 0 26 20 6.50 75 34.66 0 0 2 4 0

As a top order batsman (#1-3), he was in a league of his own in that series too ... Averaged 40, when average sans him is 22 (so Pujara is +82%) ... as for the # of balls faced, it is 726 in 7 (ignoring the not out for avg) so the avg is over 100 (avg sans him is 37 balls, Pujara is 280%+ than that avg)

Edited by zen
5 minutes ago, zen said:

That is not accurate

Primary team India 
Opposition team England 
Home or away away (home of opposition) 
Start of match date greater than or equal to 1 Jan 2018 
Batting position between 1 and 3 
Ordered by batting average (descending)

Overall figures
Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
CA Pujara 4 8 1 278 132* 39.71 726 38.29 1 1 1 33 0  
KL Rahul 5 10 0 299 149 29.90 450 66.44 1 0 1 44 1  
S Dhawan 4 8 0 162 44 20.25 292 55.47 0 0 0 23 0  
M Vijay 2 4 0 26 20 6.50 75 34.66 0 0 2 4 0

As a top order batsman (#1-3), he was in a league of his own in that series too ... Averaged 40, when average sans him is 22 (so Pujara is +82%) ... as for the # of balls faced, it is 726 in 7 (ignoring the not out for avg) so the avg is over 100 (avg sans him is 37 balls)

I am talking about his overall record in England. Only crossed 50 thrice in 18 innings and played around 68 balls per innings. We didn't win either of the series anyway

image.png.b3c8c5777dc65b28327e753a43e1b1ad.png