India: Covid - II

kepler37b

9 minutes ago, kosingh said:

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/how-many-people-tested-positive-after-second-dose-of-covid-vaccine-govt-shares-data-11619003508504.html

It's a bit puzzling. In the actual rollout, the vaccines are much more effective than in the trials? 

Yes, because the trials will have a control introduction of virus, while in reality, they might not be exposed in the same comparitive numbers.

this data cannot be used to determine vaccine efficacy - that is only to be determined in a controlled trial with placebo, and so it would remain 80%

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/covid-19-what-is-a-placebo-why-is-it-used-in-vaccine-trials/story-BPExFDcqzLbmzjuThqNolN.html

^^Placebo-controlled phase3 trials

Edited by coffee_rules

3 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Meanwhile yeh MC Abhi bhi udhar hai. 

This is total stupidity, I don't what simple logic they don't understand

India now has highest single day spike record and that too with underreporting  situation doesn't look like its going improve any time soon. And it  looks like whole world is getting worried about Indian variants

Edited by rising

6 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

But he wants centre to compensate the state. and apparent 4€ is a loot  

The question from them is Valid, if the company is allowed to make profits, why are they asking for Grant? Shouldn't it be a loan that they should pay back? What is the cost price and what is the profit percentage? All these are valid questions to be asked, it is up to the center to clarify it. That is how democracy works

10 minutes ago, ash said:

The question from them is Valid, if the company is allowed to make profits, why are they asking for Grant? Shouldn't it be a loan that they should pay back? What is the cost price and what is the profit percentage? All these are valid questions to be asked, it is up to the center to clarify it. That is how democracy works

Serum must come out with accurate stats of manufacturing. If they are selling below the cost price all these days in India, they are definitely eligible for a grant. 

32 minutes ago, ash said:

Not necessarily. If the GoI wants to push a certain industry or a niche area in a certain industry or need a steady supply of xyz product, they can offer grants. At times repayment of loans may be difficult on the enterprise.

Also many of these decisions are taken with a long term goal. Say repaying loans a company is able to save on x cr inr at the end of a financial year. It could be 5x w/o the loan burden. More money to put back into the pharma, more R&D, and in the longer run better tax liability for the GoI and forex from sale of vaccines.

In the case of SII, they are underselling their vaccine. So that's an additional point in their favour to get them the grant.

Edited by Mariyam

We will see an uptick in vaccination from May 1st. As sad as this event has been and many lives will be lost, truth of the matter is that this was the only way to put fear of corona in Indians. In India, people were absolutely living on a different planet. Now, everyone gets the message very clearly. There is no govt or support staff or family once you have Covid. You are on your own. Want to avoid the worst, get vaccinated. 

We will see a rush. I am sure of that. Also, I dont think everyone should get vaccinated. I dont mind a small section not willing and going for natural immunity. 

Its hard to imagine what the state of this country would have been had we not been manufacturing vaccines. I think vaccines plus spate of infections, in 2-3 months this will flatten out. I hope other states don't jump on lockdown option too quick. From all that I can see, the lockdown is futile. This is not battle to be won in few months or even an year. We are all in unchartered waters. Next known step is vaccination but we will have spikes and mutations for some time. 

Edited by ravishingravi

Dying of Covid is different from Dying because of lack of beds or oxygen..I lost my grandfather due to covid in 1st wave. He got the best care possible, but still succumbed to the disease. That was a devastating loss, but I can't imagine how people who lost their loved ones because of bed or oxygen shortage are feeling now. Those are the lives that could have been saved. They died because there are in India, because they are Indian. 

Even now, if we don't understand that it is the healthcare system that failed the people then we can't save this country. We can't keep claiming that we are in uncharted waters, this is wave two. Every expert in the world warned that this would happen, but somehow the govt was caught napping. And May 1 is not going to magically solve all problems, there is still vaccine shortage in many states. 

Please do not comment that people get what they deserve, that is insensitive AF. In search of livelihood, many had no other option but to go out. 

Edited by ash

Serum must come out with accurate stats of manufacturing. If they are selling below the cost price all these days in India, they are definitely eligible for a grant. 
Now astrazeneca sends legal notice to adar for not fulfilling export contractual obligations.