Kuldeep Yadav: 'I didn't understand what length to bowl against England'

It has been a forgettable few months for Kuldeep Yadav. After a poor stint at the IPL with Kolkata Knight Riders last year where he played just five matches and picked up only one wicket, he was mostly relegated to the bench for India's tour of Australia, as well as the home series against England.

After being sidelined for the entire five-match T20I series against England which India won 3-2, Yadav eventually got his chance in the ODIs, being selected for the first two matches. However, he once again struggled to make an impact, going wicketless and conceding 152 runs across the two games.

Yadav had a particularly torrid time against Ben Stokes in the second ODI in Pune, conceding 20 runs in an over, including three consecutive sixes because he "didn't understand what length to bowl" and "didn't have any assistance on the pitch". It allowed England to chase down a target of 337 inside 44 overs.

Yadav admitted that rust was an issue with his performances, but that he is also "not at all worried" about what the future holds.

"If you're playing regularly, you get an idea about the length and can quickly identify what length to bowl," Yadav told Mid Day. "But when you're playing with breaks, the length may sometimes be a little up or short. If I work hard on my lengths, it will help me bowl better.

"The first game was very important as I was playing after a long time. I didn't get into a good rhythm in that match. Had I been playing regularly, rhythm would not have been an issue. I made a good comeback after the first over [conceding 13 runs]. In the second game, I bowled better. It's just that there was no assistance for spin on the pitch, so I didn't get the desired results. On flat pitches, length is crucial. It was difficult for spinners in the ODIs, all went for runs."

Yadav also dismissed talk that batsmen had him "figured out", insisting that his main job was "to keep improving" and not focus on anything else.

"I don't pay attention to all this talk. It's important that I keep improving my skills and be as accurate as possible. If you're playing regularly, batsmen tend to read you. If they are getting comfortable playing me, then my job as a bowler is to keep improving. And that's why I look to add or change a few things every time.

"Despite all the analysis, batsmen still find ways to score runs and bowlers still find different methods to take wickets. There are other factors, too, like form, rhythm and confidence. If [your] confidence is high, you'll start taking wickets and people will again start talking good things about you.

"My job is to be ready whenever the opportunity arises. The team management has always communicated to me the reason why I wasn't getting a place in the XI. They have always backed me and I am not at all worried. I keep working hard in training sessions and do whatever the team needs."

Link - https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/kuldeep-yadav-i-didn-t-understand-what-length-to-bowl-against-england-1257451

12 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Wonder why he is the one always giving interviews?  He probably has lost the confidence & needs to go back to domestics to find the lost touch.  Get a decent run. 

Reporters also should look towards Chahal who has even more worse stats.  I Wonder what he has to say about it:phehe:

He is a soft target,with no backing from any stalwarts.

Chahal otoh is the team's PR clown and vc of Wrogn one's IPL team, he isnt to be touched.

48 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Wonder why he is the one always giving interviews?  He probably has lost the confidence & needs to go back to domestics to find the lost touch.  Get a decent run. 

Reporters also should look towards Chahal who has even more worse stats.  I Wonder what he has to say about it:phehe:

Kuldeep was lucky to be benched in his bad phas eor his numbers wud have been way worse then chahal 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Kuldeep was lucky to be benched in his bad phas eor his numbers wud have been way worse then chahal 

Don't think so he bowled well in the third odi vs Aus when Chahal was getting tonked in first two game.  Didn't he gave 81 runs for 0 wickets in 2nd odi.  Mind you those were bigger grounds where zampa etc were turning out to be effective. 

Here in Pune every spinner got tonked except Ali.  Kuldeep is bad but a tad better than Chahal I think.  Even in WC game vs Eng he somehow fared better but Chahal got obliterated. 

1 minute ago, Lone Wolf said:

Don't think so he bowled well in the third odi vs Aus when Chahal was getting tonked in first two game.  Didn't he gave 81 runs for 0 wickets in 2nd odi.  Mind you those were bigger grounds where zampa etc were turning out to be effective. 

Here in Pune every spinner got tonked except Ali.  Kuldeep is bad but a tad better than Chahal I think.  Even in WC game vs Eng he somehow fared better but Chahal got obliterated. 

1 game sample isnt enough, kuldeep mentally is in a very poor state and this statement shows

Kuldeep skill wise may be better but not mentally 

1 hour ago, Vickydev said:

He is a soft target,with no backing from any stalwarts.

Chahal otoh is the team's PR clown and vc of Wrogn one's IPL team, he isnt to be touched.

Agreed also donno why Akash Chopra gets triggered when TM drop Chahal...  Someone should show his ODI & T20 numbers since WC to that prick.  PR mafia really gets to my nerves:hitler:

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

1 game sample isnt enough, kuldeep mentally is in a very poor state and this statement shows

Kuldeep skill wise may be better but not mentally 

Agreed on skill level.  I think Even present Amit Mishra or Rahul Chahar Ravi bishnoi may do better than these guys. 

I feel Ashwin may find a way into T20 WC squad if he has another good IPl & Eng tour. 

These statements are total head-scratchers.  Experts, @express bowling @rkt.india @Cricketics   help me out here.

To me it seems pretty simple and the job of the bowling coach:

• Bowling coach and bowlers look at opponent and pitch, and decide correct lengths. 
  • 2-3 days between matches. 
  • Practice those lengths.  Practice those lengths.  Practice those lengths. 
  • Execute lengths in match from Over 1. 
  • Pooraa off-season lagta hain kyaa length change practice karne mein?

Am I over-simplifying this?

Same shyte happened with Chahal in Australia "I saw Adam Zampa bowling like this for 2 matches, so in the 3rd match, I did too ..." (paraphrasing).  Sachhee?  You needed to see Adam Zampa ....???  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
20 minutes ago, Late Cut said:

His change in action to be quicker through the air has pretty much completely eliminated the significant drift and turn he used to get. Of course he is going to get hit all over if a spinner can't spin the ball.

... which he can, except when there is dew.  Which there was when he bowled in Pune.  It is best they keep him away from D/N matches.  

3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

These statements are total head-scratchers.  Experts, @express bowling @rkt.india @Cricketics   help me out here.

To me it seems pretty simple and the job of the bowling coach:

• Bowling coach and bowlers look at opponent and pitch, and decide correct lengths. 
  • 2-3 days between matches. 
  • Practice those lengths.  Practice those lengths.  Practice those lengths. 

all those wud have been done but its the execution and when a batsman starts to go after you everything goes for a toss . It wont take time for someone like kuldeep to loose his confidence again once he is hit for a few runs in his fragile state of mind 

3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

• Execute lengths in match from Over 1. 
  • Pooraa off-season lagta hain kyaa length change practice karne mein?

Am I over-simplifying this?

Same shyte happened with Chahal in Australia "I saw Adam Zampa bowling like this for 2 matches, so in the 3rd match, I did too ..." (paraphrasing).  Sachhee?  You needed to see Adam Zampa ....???  

Most player know what to bowl and where to bowl but its the execution which is the difference , not everyone can execute it. Specially when someone's confidence is so low it becomes even tough 

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

all those wud have been done but its the execution and when a batsman starts to go after you everything goes for a toss . It wont take time for someone like kuldeep to loose his confidence again once he is hit for a few runs in his fragile state of mind 

Most player know what to bowl and where to bowl but its the execution which is the difference , not everyone can execute it. Specially when someone's confidence is so low it becomes even tough 

True, but what he is saying is that he didn't know what lengths to bowl, not how to execute.  Oh well ... 

1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

True, but what he is saying is that he didn't know what lengths to bowl, not how to execute.  Oh well ... 

jab maar padti hai to dimaag ka dahi ho jata hai aur samajh nahin aata kya karu. Coaches can tell u from far but u have to gage what about conditions urself. Dhoni did play a role in this but now he is gone, but the mindset kuldeep is in i doubt anyone can help him. 

Other side is anyways his confidence is so low that execution wnt have taken place and u can give whatever excuse u want. Also with so much dew things just get worse but kuldeep problem is beyond dew 

For nth time I still don’t understand why India doesn’t has spin coach ? Bharat Arun is fast bowlers coach. We need someone like joshi who has done good job in the past with BD or someone else from domestic circuit who are in to coaching. It is ridiculous we think we are good at spin bowling and play spin well. 

For nth time I still don’t understand why India doesn’t has spin coach ? Bharat Arun is fast bowlers coach. We need someone like joshi who has done good job in the past with BD or someone else from domestic circuit who are in to coaching. It is ridiculous we think we are good at spin bowling and play spin well. Or just fire that sridhar guy who is useless and hire a spin coach lol. 

Edited by gattaca