Jump to content
Austin 3:!6

Virat Kohli admits Wasim Akram as the bowler from past who could have troubled him

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

In order of toughness

MCG>Adelaide>Gabba>Sydney

 

Rohit did well in Sydney.  Average in Gabba. 

2nd day Morning MCG reminded me of Eng literally. 

The way pant played man. Sheesh. That's why he is an ATG already. Obliterated the number 2 attack in the world. India's attack being number 1 ofcourse. 

Link to post
12 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Yeah like we had some ATG openers in 90s. Our 90s team is no where close to the present team.

Our bowling is better now but I think our batting was better then in terms of technique. Someone like Wasim Jaffar had better technique than Rohit Sharma.

Link to post
On 6/1/2021 at 4:39 AM, Jay said:

Well compared to most other openers who have toured Australia he fared well.

 

Post 2016, barely any overseas opener averaged above 30 in Australia. So Rohit did well in that regard. 

 

 

Rohit was so good that a debutant Gill did better

Link to post
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Our bowling is better now but I think our batting was better then in terms of technique. Someone like Wasim Jaffar had better technique than Rohit Sharma.

Which batsmen you are talking about in terms of technique Atul Bedade,Amay Khurasiya?

Devaang Gandhi?Kambli?Kanitkar?Piddhu?Mongia?(barring Tendulkar,Azhar and Ganguly,Dravid in late 90s)

There is a huge list of clowns making an Indian XI back then,it was only post 99 WC or 2000 we started to build a strong batting unit

Edited by Suhaan
Link to post
On 6/1/2021 at 5:34 PM, Jay said:

The way pant played man. Sheesh. That's why he is an ATG already. Obliterated the number 2 attack in the world. India's attack being number 1 ofcourse. 

The Sydney knock was so special! From a sureshot loss to " you know what, we could actually win this!" kind of turn around. The Aussies were stunned by that innings and lost all their swagger. The Gabba knock took it one step further and finished off the job.

Link to post

Hard to know how Kohil would have fared vs: McGrath, Ambrose and Walsh. I don't see many comparative bowlers in the current era for a meaningful extrapolation. He would have been fine against any kind of pace/bounce (he proved it in RSA on the Joburg wicket that South Africans tried to run away from). He's shown good competency vs swing in how he played Jimmy Anderson in 2018 in England. My only worry would be vs high quality spin or pace/bounce but we don't have a meaningful guide on that. There are many factors that have afflicted him that e.g. Sachin, Dravid didn't have to negotiate e.g. no opportunity to hone skills on County, DRS (although can go both ways but would have likely made playing spin in India harder). 

 

 

Link to post
23 hours ago, Lord said:

Rohit was so good that a debutant Gill did better

Gill only played one good innings in that series after playing 3 matches on the trot. Rohit joined the series only for the last two tests and did alright. Many fans wish he played better in that last innings but otherwise there were no issues with his performances as opener.

 

Link to post
On 6/2/2021 at 12:03 AM, Austin 3:!6 said:

Our bowling is better now but I think our batting was better then in terms of technique. Someone like Wasim Jaffar had better technique than Rohit Sharma.

Not really. Wasim Jaffer barely had any front foot game, the biggest reason he failed against quick bowling. His reflexes were too slow. 

Link to post
16 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Gill only played one good innings in that series after playing 3 matches on the trot. Rohit joined the series only for the last two tests and did alright. Many fans wish he played better in that last innings but otherwise there were no issues with his performances as opener.

 

Are you for real? Gill perhaps has had among the best test debut series by any player visiting Australia playing against such high quality attack. He in fact had one failure, each of the other innings were gems in the context of the series.

 

His 45 at MCG after Mayank had got out for 0 in the very first over, immediately after the 36 all out disaster, was in a sense a series turner. A young Indian batsman coming out and pulling, cutting and driving the Aussie pacers and taking them head on

Link to post
4 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Are you for real? Gill perhaps has had among the best test debut series by any player visiting Australia playing against such high quality attack. He in fact had one failure, each of the other innings were gems in the context of the series.

 

His 45 at MCG after Mayank had got out for 0 in the very first over, immediately after the 36 all out disaster, was in a sense a series turner. A young Indian batsman coming out and pulling, cutting and driving the Aussie pacers and taking them head on

Agreed. Just want to interject here though. Australia has the number 2 best attack in the world and is easily their second best of all time. Indian attack is number 1 and better than Aussie attack. I just want everyone to be aware of that. 

 

Love doing it to our padosis. Rubbing it in. Let them know. 

 

The reason we have been number 1 in test for 5 years is because of our bowling attack which is the BEST in the world. 

Link to post
32 minutes ago, Jay said:

Agreed. Just want to interject here though. Australia has the number 2 best attack in the world and is easily their second best of all time. Indian attack is number 1 and better than Aussie attack. I just want everyone to be aware of that. 

 

Love doing it to our padosis. Rubbing it in. Let them know. 

 

The reason we have been number 1 in test for 5 years is because of our bowling attack which is the BEST in the world. 

Without a shade of doubt. Numbers show it as well. The best part was, in Australia and vs England, our back up bowlers showed the high quality bench strength 

Link to post
17 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Gill only played one good innings in that series after playing 3 matches on the trot. Rohit joined the series only for the last two tests and did alright. Many fans wish he played better in that last innings but otherwise there were no issues with his performances as opener.

 

45,35*,50,31,7,91

 

Thats more than one good innings.The first two were crucial in MCG win

 

Rohit score 25,52,44,7

 

More a case of one good innings 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Lord said:

45,35*,50,31,7,91

 

Thats more than one good innings.The first two were crucial in MCG win

 

Rohit score 25,52,44,7

 

More a case of one good innings 

Both did their job for sure. Gill set it up better obviously. 

 

Rohit did his part. He should have done better but he did pretty well vs a prime Cummins. Not a bad knock. Most openers would get out to this version of Cummins barring a few. Gill was one of those. Outstanding by the young gun. 

 

In saying that Gill fared poorly in India. Probably just elated and too relaxed post Australia euphoria. He averages 70 in India. Certain he will bounce back hard. 

Link to post
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

Boult is too much. We should ask this fool to survive Jason Behrendorff or Junaid Khan on an early morning at Kotla or Eden or Chidambaram!

I agree..  Left arm swing bowlers would take him for a ride.  He can't play late & relies on cover drives too much.  SRT would change his game midway to tackle certain bowlers.  Kohli doesn't have that skill in him. 

His batting against spin these days is laugh worthy.  Even in IPl dude is barely scoring anything against even noob spinners like Brar & co

Edited by Lone Wolf
Link to post
21 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

Hard to know how Kohil would have fared vs: McGrath, Ambrose and Walsh. I don't see many comparative bowlers in the current era for a meaningful extrapolation. He would have been fine against any kind of pace/bounce (he proved it in RSA on the Joburg wicket that South Africans tried to run away from). He's shown good competency vs swing in how he played Jimmy Anderson in 2018 in England. My only worry would be vs high quality spin or pace/bounce but we don't have a meaningful guide on that. There are many factors that have afflicted him that e.g. Sachin, Dravid didn't have to negotiate e.g. no opportunity to hone skills on County, DRS (although can go both ways but would have likely made playing spin in India harder). 

 

 

 

 

Got dropped multiple times in that series

 

Had a horrible NZ tour and generally struggles vs swing,specially left arm

Link to post
35 minutes ago, Lord said:

 

 

Got dropped multiple times in that series

 

Had a horrible NZ tour and generally struggles vs swing,specially left arm

Getting dropped often goes hand in hand with good form. Similar poor form often coincides with getting unplayable deliveries/poor umpiring decisions/excellent fielding off your batting. Using your criteria, many of crickets great feats would never have been achieved e.g. Sehwag triple century in Pakistan, Steven Smith's golden series vs Australia in 2014, Ricky Ponting's knock vs India in WC 2003

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...