The missing piece for Hitman to cement himself as a top tier ATG

ODIs- multiple mom awards in icc knockouts 

Highest individual score

3 200’s

Asia cup as captain

ODI ATG status- cemented

T20I’s: regarded as  one of the greatest captains to play this format.

fastest T20I 100

most individual T20 100’s

Won Nidhihaas trophy

Played the knock that won us the WT20

2007 as it saved us from elimination

T20I ATG status: done and dusted 

Tests: 2nd highest average after Bradman at home

2 consecutive 100’s on debut

Was integral part of the brain trust that won us 2 series in Aus

His knocks in the last test actually started the momentum for India in the great Ind- Aus series 2020

While this is very impressive and 2-3 dd tier ATG level However this is the missing piece that will cement Ro’s legacy as a bonafide ATG in the Bradman, SRT, Viv category or thereabouts.

Test and overall ATG status: TBD

Ur thoughts :hello:

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

He has been the best batsman for us in WTC. His 161 vs England was an ATG knock, one of the best ever on such a difficult pitch. A good knock in the final will cement his place further and boost his captaincy credentials for the transition period in the post-Kohli era.

Agreed

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

He has been the best batsman for us in WTC. His 161 vs England was an ATG knock, one of the best ever on such a difficult pitch. A good knock in the final will cement his place further and boost his captaincy credentials for the transition period in the post-Kohli era.

A pitch where Ashwin scored a ton on 3rd day after the pitch had deteriorated?

Even Rahane managed 67 .We all know his play vs spin

14 minutes ago, Lord said:

A pitch where Ashwin scored a ton on 3rd day after the pitch had deteriorated?

Even Rahane managed 67 .We all know his play vs spin

Watch his batting again. Day 1, pitch turning square, balls exploding or keeping low from first over, excessive seam movement. When he got out, he had scored 70% of team runs. ATG knock whichever way you see it.

Ashwin's 100 is a ATG knock as well, slightly less valued because by then the match was nearly done (we had a first innings lead of 200+)

25 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Watch his batting again. Day 1, pitch turning square, balls exploding or keeping low from first over, excessive seam movement. When he got out, he had scored 70% of team runs. ATG knock whichever way you see it.

Ashwin's 100 is a ATG knock as well, slightly less valued because by then the match was nearly done (we had a first innings lead of 200+)

Damn good knock.No one denying that.

But ATG I'm not sure just coz of the pitch.The 70% is because others have been in terminal decline,specially on turners.Pant also scored a quick 50 IIRC

It was tough track but then the spinners were Leach and Moeen bhai

7 hours ago, Majestic said:

Rohit need to hit 20 test hundred in his entire career to become an ATG.

20 too far fetched. 15 will make him a great. Not an all time one as he doesnt have time. The best he can achieve is hussey kind of status late bloomer but for that he has to win a test match on his own in overseas conditions which Pujara Virat even rahane has done..15/16 hundreds and 5500 runs realistic target with 45 plus average 

30 minutes ago, neel roy said:

20 too far fetched. 15 will make him a great. Not an all time one as he doesnt have time. The best he can achieve is hussey kind of status late bloomer but for that he has to win a test match on his own in overseas conditions which Pujara Virat even rahane has done..15/16 hundreds and 5500 runs realistic target with 45 plus average 

I think the boat has already passed for Rohit. When I think of best test players with less than 20 hundreds in modern era, the names that come to mind are Pujara, Elgar, Latham, Azhar Ali, Matthews etc. None anywhere close to ATG.

If I look for great ODI player who have 20+ test hundreds to their name, then there is Kohli, de Villiers, Taylor (almost there) and Warner. I am not sure if Warner and Taylor are even considered as ATG among them. Rohit is comfortably behind them all in tests.