Wrong team selection again.

On 6/24/2021 at 5:21 AM, Suhaan said:

No need to deem him as our best pacer,let someone else take over

He's one of the top bowlers in India,but 4 ICC KOs are no kess for him to prove his mettle 

We need him , can't drop him on emotions,seems one of the guys who don't want to take onus as a whole might as well share it and do the damage to opposition

Bumrah is more like an impact player. In a 5 5est series. He will play 3 and win you 2, lose 1. When he is in rhythm, he is unplayable. 

Right now he is struggling post marriage and injuries. He will learn. Atleast I hope he will. Too good a bowler to not be amongst the best again. 

Just going through a phase. Unless money and fame truly got to him then we might as well part ways with him..

Because frankly team selection wouldn't have saved us, we just gave up on day 4/5 with their tail smashing our main "quicks" :cantstop:

Instead of losing by 8 wickets we may have lost by 4, the loss was almost inevitable though with Brat leading the side!

after the Eng tour, which we may lose 4-1, it would be nice if wholesale changes could be made:

(1) Rohit/KLR

(2) Shaw/Agarwal

(3) Vihari/???

(4) Sundar

(5) Gill

(6) Pant

(7) ??? (need a batting AR; Jaddu in home conditions is fine)

(8) Ashwin

(9), (10), and (11) should be carefully chosen from Ishant, Umesh, Bumrah, Shami, Siraj, Saini, and Bhuvi (if fit) based on conditions.

10 hours ago, zen said:

On the forum, there is 

Could a Shardul or Hardik won us WTC if were played ahead of Jadeja ? Its easy to criticize Kohli, Bumrah, Pujara but how many would have accepted the fact Siraj played ahead of Bumrah or Mayank ahead of Gill. Everyone is an expert with the virtue of hindsight. 

7 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Could a Shardul or Hardik won us WTC if were played ahead of Jadeja ? Its easy to criticize Kohli, Bumrah, Pujara but how many would have accepted the fact Siraj played ahead of Bumrah or Mayank ahead of Gill. Everyone is an expert with the virtue of hindsight. 

Hardik for Jadeja would have been right choice only if Hardik was bowling

7 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

It is not about what fans expect but the right strategy for the game 

On 6/27/2021 at 9:59 AM, jf1gp_1 said:

Picking Siraj and Shardul was a no brainer especially given the conditions. It was for the captain to fit them in. But he miserably failed at that.

Many of us saw what was coming, no virtue of hindsight, simple common sense dictated the horses for courses selection. Don't remember asking for Pujara and Gill to be dropped. It was about picking the swing bowlers and Siraj would have provided that. Shardul could have added the option of swing bowling plus a bit of batting.That was the argument.

42 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Picking Siraj and Shardul was a no brainer especially given the conditions. It was for the captain to fit them in. But he miserably failed at that.

Many of us saw what was coming, no virtue of hindsight, simple common sense dictated the horses for courses selection. Don't remember asking for Pujara and Gill to be dropped. It was about picking the swing bowlers and Siraj would have provided that. Shardul could have added the option of swing bowling plus a bit of batting.That was the argument.

Batsmen lost us the game not bowler

On 6/27/2021 at 9:59 AM, jf1gp_1 said:

The squad/xi announcement  well in advance in itself was a self goal,Ashwin,Jadeja combo in overcast conditions was a big no

Siraj should have been accomodated atleast

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

In your own terms, that's the 'virtue of hindsight'. I call it shifting the goalposts.

That was in response to your statement 'Picking Siraj and Shardul was a no brainer especially given the conditions. It was for the captain to fit them in. But he miserably failed at that.' 

29 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

That was in response to your statement 'Picking Siraj and Shardul was a no brainer especially given the conditions. It was for the captain to fit them in. But he miserably failed at that.' 

I can't find the connect with what I wrote - a pre match assessment vs bowlers lost us the game not batsmen, a post match assessment.

3 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

I can't find the connect with what I wrote - a pre match assessment vs bowlers lost us the game not batsmen, a post match assessment.

your argument is captain did not bowler best suited for conditions. My question is how would have selection of Siraj and Shardul change the outcome of match

6 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

your argument is captain did not bowler best suited for conditions. My question is how would have selection of Siraj and Shardul change the outcome of match

The captain would have given his team a better chance of doing well by picking the right set of bowlers. Many predicted Siraj and Shardul will be missed. The end result showed that. 

Would them playing have meant an Indian win? Very difficult to predict. Would we have given ourselves a better chance of a win? Without a doubt.

Terrible batting. Terrible bowling .Terrible team selection. Siraj should have been the 1st member on the team sheet.

They could have picked Deepak Chahar in the squad.

Gill is better suited at 4/5 in swinging conditions. If Pujara is going to play he must open & tackle the new ball .

Bumrah has lost the wicket taking ability after his injury. Barring Shami & Ashwin to some extent, rest were terrible. Jadeja was picked mostly for his batting where he failed in the match.

I can't say I am unhappy with the loss. More pressure on Kohli & Shastri. Not that they care at all about this.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, Suhaan said:

The squad/xi announcement  well in advance in itself was a self goal,Ashwin,Jadeja combo in overcast conditions was a big no

Siraj should have been accomodated atleast

Agree 1000% ! I was pissed off ever since the squad and then final X1 were announced, with one glaring omission after another. The disastrous team selection was like starting a tennis match one set down without even stepping on the court.

19 minutes ago, voldy666 said:

Terrible batting. Terrible bowling .Terrible team selection. Siraj should have been the 1st member on the team sheet.

They could have picked Deepak Chahar in the squad.

Gill is better suited at 4/5 in swinging conditions. If Pujara is going to play he must open & tackle the new ball .

Bumrah has lost the wicket taking ability after his injury. Barring Shami & Ashwin to some extent, rest were terrible. Jadeja was picked mostly for his batting where he failed in the match.

I can't say I am unhappy with the loss. More pressure on Kohli & Shastri. Not that they care at all about this.

I have a totally different view. Fuming mad that the opportunity created by the heroics of Australia was thrown away like a waste paper by a clueless captain! That being said, the WTC final was a joke with conditions overwhelmingly favoring one team, dodgy weather and insufficient game time with just 1 game instead of a series of 3 to test the teams fully.