Videos of actors overacting

Real McCoy

On 8/2/2021 at 6:19 PM, Real McCoy said:

:phehe:

This is over acting?

Thought he did this scene really well. The right mix of self pity and altruism.

Kal Ho na Ho was on the lines of Anand and if not for SRK's efforts it would been out of the theatres in no time. He stole the show. An example of a good actor carrying a a terrible script and getting the audiences emotionally invested.

Sanjay Dutt in Sadak (the original one).

He is supposed to be a taxi driver in the movie. Such a lazy attempt at playing a taxi driver. He even dresses like a film star through out the movie.

To compensate he talks in a weird tapori language, sounding exactly like a rich kid trying to speak chawl lingo.

For the NRIs; its like a white guy from an exclusive Long Island neighbourhood speaking like a black person from Harlem. Totally fake.

Luckily for the movie it had a decent script, Pooja Bhatt and Sadashiv as saviours.

Sanjay Dutt pulled a good tapori accent in the Vastav/Munnabhai series though. His time in jail must have helped.

Edited by Mariyam

On 7/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, Gollum said:

Maybe stage background means susceptibility to overacting, especially in that old era. Seen even high profile Shakespearean actors overact on silver screen. 

Overacting or not, whether you know Tamil or not @maniac @coffee_rules @Mariyam, the dialogue delivery below (one take) is mindblowing (clear stage influence). My Tamil is nowhere good enough to understand even bits of it but I am sure @velu @I6MTW @Vilander @Real McCoy @Stan AF @vvvslaxman @ash will appreciate this, from what I have heard a very tough monologue. 

Sivaji vs MGR was a thing back then, even today it is among film buffs, polarizing topic. Dunno how it is even a contest, Sivaji blows MGR out of the water and his ceiling was always very high (based on clips I have seen, not full movies I admit), floor could be low as well but he was capable of achieving greatness that MGR couldn't fathom. Maybe equivalent of Kamal vs Rajini in that era. 

@Ankit_sharma03 you familiar with old era Tamil movies? Likes of Sivaji and MGR.....

Obviously I follow nothing. 

But this is typeset stage acting. Exposition + LOUD expressions. 

Not so wow for me. Maybe with context I'd appreciate it better.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:35 AM, Mariyam said:

This is over acting?

Thought he did this scene really well. The right mix of self pity and altruism.

Kal Ho na Ho was on the lines of Anand and if not for SRK's efforts it would been out of the theatres in no time. He stole the show. An example of a good actor carrying a a terrible script and getting the audiences emotionally invested.

come on that's overacting :laugh: You like it because you are his fan. That's it. Him carrying the movie with a terrible script is just SRK's genius. So was the guy in the OP. He is also a great actor but had his moments with overacting. We don't want to post videos from Baazigar and Darr do we :phehe: I thought I let him off the hook

On 8/18/2021 at 11:58 AM, Mariyam said:

Obviously I follow nothing. 

But this is typeset stage acting. Exposition + LOUD expressions. 

Not so wow for me. Maybe with context I'd appreciate it better.

Its the nature of this actor doing it in the first attempt after reading the script once and memorizing it to the tee and delivering it with his theatrical performance that is wow worthy. He is known well in the south and internationally recognized for his acting performance. and subtle (or not so subtle :phehe:) body and face movements to make it more emotive

53 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

come on that's overacting :laugh: You like it because you are his fan. That's it. Him carrying the movie with a terrible script is just SRK's genius. So was the guy in the OP. He is also a great actor but had his moments with overacting. We don't want to post videos from Baazigar and Darr do we :phehe: I thought I let him off the hook

You have to see it in the context of the movie. You can't cherry pick one scene devoid of the context and call it over acting. 

Let me ask you this: Which actor would do that role better than SRK?

In the 90s subtlety was shunned. Actors had to over do expressions. Baazigar and Darr, if you view through that era specific filter are very well acted.

Edited by Mariyam

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

You have to see it in the context of the movie. You can't cherry pick one scene devoid of the context and call it over acting. 

Let me ask you this: Which actor would do that role better than SRK?

In the 90s subtlety was shunned. Actors had to over do expressions. Baazigar and Darr, if you view through that era specific filter are very well acted.

I agree with you there. Why are you getting defensive :laugh: srk is a good actor and you have to act a bit "extra" to make it in those times. Same with the actor in OP. I'm sure srk can act normally like he does now. this thread is about overacting not about poor actors. know the difference