Pujara is done.

4 hours ago, The Realist said:

Not really.

He may have helped set things up but he didn't power the team over the line. Left it to others to convert draws into wins as blocking only gets you so far. 

Hilarious now to think people thought he was the heir to Dravid when he puts you to sleep when racking up dot balls.

People used to say same for Dravid but his importance was realised once he retired.

9 hours ago, Cricspin said:

Highest impact over last decade..  Can you back that up with any stats ?? Virat can easily stake claim to be the player of last decade for India (batting only).

Anyways.. can we thank Pujara for his services and let go of him if he does not perform this series ?? 

Look up the series that we won from 2010-2019. Try to find a series we won where he didn't contribute. Everyone knows how well he did at home but he was also our MVP in our two best away results - SL 2015 and AUS 2018-19.

He has failed long enough that he can't complain if he is dropped for the next Test.

8 hours ago, The Realist said:

Not really.

He may have helped set things up but he didn't power the team over the line. Left it to others to convert draws into wins as blocking only gets you so far. 

Hilarious now to think people thought he was the heir to Dravid when he puts you to sleep when racking up dot balls.

No. You're extrapolating the recent Australian series to his entire career. 

As far as the comparison with Dravid is concerned, he did match his overall output for a fair amount of time. Still has better numbers than Dravid in Australia, South Africa as well as the subcontinent :dontknow:.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdMv0VsG91gFg4q3H8Qem

And for all the hullabaloo over his SR, he still has a better SR than Dravid as well. Not that it matters all that much in Tests.

9 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

No. You're extrapolating the recent Australian series to his entire career. 

As far as the comparison with Dravid is concerned, he did match his overall output for a fair amount of time. Still has better numbers than Dravid in Australia, South Africa as well as the subcontinent :dontknow:.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdMv0VsG91gFg4q3H8Qem

And for all the hullabaloo over his SR, he still has a better SR than Dravid as well. Not that it matters all that much in Tests.

But the main difference between dravid & pujara is , pujara career look like finish after 6k run but dravid was excellent until 9k test run.

right now pujara has 6271 run avg 45.77

When dravid reached 6300 run, his avg was 56.

54 minutes ago, kohli said:

But the main difference between dravid & pujara is , pujara career look like finish after 6k run but dravid was excellent until 9k test run.

That's right. Which is why I didn't claim Pujara was better or even comparable to Dravid overall. 

On 8/6/2021 at 11:12 PM, kohli said:

2000s saw few of the best batting conditions. The kind of pitches and top class bowling we have seen in 2010s, more in last 5 years, wasn't there in 2000s, especially the flat pitches everywhere except SA. Dravid was great between 2002-2006. Other than that, his batting average was in early 40s. Had sharp decline for six years after 2006.

My main issue with Pujara has always been that ... he almost always had to have the game come to him.and he rarely went to the game.

If the game required hanging on and just playing out the balls then he used to be an absolute master of it.  No one was better 

But if the game needed a different tempo then he could rarely respond adequately, especially when playing outside Asia.

6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

2000s saw few of the best batting conditions. The kind of pitches and top class bowling we have seen in 2010s, more in last 5 years, wasn't there in 2000s, especially the flat pitches everywhere except SA. Dravid was great between 2002-2006. Other than that, his batting average was in early 40s. Had sharp decline for six years after 2006.

From 1996-1999 ( dravid avg was 50)

17 hours ago, express bowling said:

My main issue with Pujara has always been that ... he almost always had to have the game come to him.and he rarely went to the game.

If the game required hanging on and just playing out the balls then he used to be an absolute master of it.  No one was better 

But if the game needed a different tempo then he could rarely respond adequately, especially when playing outside Asia.

When the team's back is against the wall and needs someone to just hold fort - he's the man.  He showed that in multiple innings in Australia 2020-21.  He just wasn't looking very good.  He was not timing the ball.  He was taking body blows just to avoid getting out.  He looked awkward against Nathan Lyon.  But he did not give his wicket.  He was there to pi$$ the bowlers off and tire them out so others could capitalize. 

But when the team returned to India for the Eng series, that is not what the team needed, and he was completely out of sorts.  

38 minutes ago, Cricspin said:

Lol. What are you talking about ? Did you watch Dravid  bat throughout his career or check his stats ?

• His average never dropped below 45 after his 9th Test match. No early 40's. He mostly averaged between 47-54 during 1997-2001.
  • During 2002-2006 he mostly averaged 55-58. Yes this was his peak period as a batter. His age was 29-33 during this period. 
  • While he had a decline but it was only during 2007-2008. He averaged 52 from  2009 to his retirement. He scored 10 centuries from 2009-2012.

Basically he did not average early 40's before 2002 and his career declined only 6 runs in average from peak to end. That is normal for lot of players and nothing sharp.  Sharp is Pujara who had a much better start than Dravid and Pujara went to 65 plus average during first 10-20 games. Pujara slowly dropped to 47-53 average between age 26-31 and now at 33 already his average has dropped to 45. That is a 20 run drop from peak average and he is only 33 where decline is supposed to start. Unless Pujara pulls off a late career miracle revival, I see him going down from here to retirement. 

But that crunching boundary off the last ball of the 4th day gives me some hope that he is seeing the ball and reacting better.  I know, it's just one ball .... even Bumrah hit 4,6,4 in the 1st innings but hope springs eternal.  

I've noticed a concerted effort on his part on this tour to play a little more aggressive early in the innings. I'm sure mgmt has basically told him to NOT do the 10-runs-in-100-balls thing. And I consider that to be good advice.

But that's clearly not working either. So playing at snail's pace ain't working and neither is playing with intent. So yeah, he indeed is DONE and barring something drastic happening, I don't see him being with the team for much longer.